Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:21 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,137 times

Advertisements

Our granddaughter was scrimmaging on Field 5 right next to that street. They cut the scrimmage short once some of the Nitro parents starting receiving alerts and informed the coaches.

I was pulling into the park and heard the rapid fire shots and wondered what the heck but then I heard more shots that apparently are from the State Police shooting range and didn't think that much about it.

This is definitely not going to be good publicity for the facility.

Very nice fields but I didn't like the single entrance into all the fields plus the exit gates were chained shut. If the shooter had entered the complex, everyone would be a sitting duck with no way out.

I agree this does not appear to be as well "thought out" as first presented with that type of neighborhood so close. I overheard some Nitro parent say "welcome to the hood" as we were exiting the facility.

It is easy to envision what a nightmare parking will be at a large tournament.

Sounds like they took away a flat surface golf course from the senior citizens to put thousands of youth at risk of being shot. Must be a government project!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:07 AM

583 posts, read 592,228 times
OMG I never thought about it until you mentioned it. There is currently only one road in and out and they do keep the exits chained up. This is bad.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:38 AM

583 posts, read 592,228 times
I don’t know how much anyone knows about the folks who put this together but there’s politics involved and there’s been lots of photo ops. And I could go into more detail but the bottom line is that the safety of the kids should be at the forefront and right now it is not.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:21 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,147,712 times
https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...571d93380.html

Dunbar and Barboursville to co-host national youth soccer tournament.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:57 PM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
I meant to post this and forgot. This is good news for our local restaurants and hotels. Too bad, we have to share with Cabell County

Old 05-05-2019, 05:14 PM

From reading the news story, it sounds like this partnership helped land the tournament. A partnership like this one is a good strategy for not only our areas, but the state. Why compete with ourselves?

Old 05-06-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
From reading the news story, it sounds like this partnership helped land the tournament. A partnership like this one is a good strategy for not only our areas, but the state. Why compete with ourselves?
I was just kidding. Your 100% right. That was the only way this was going to happen because the number of quality fields is limited. Hotel rooms are limited. And our greater region as a whole needs to start seeing the bigger picture.

I will say this though, Charleston and Huntington do need to stay competitive against each other in attracting businesses and events because it helps ensure quality and both sides benefit by trying to “on up” the other.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:19 PM

I agree with you in terms of being competitive in pursuing businesses and economic activities but perhaps work together to form a solid foundation in terms of basic economic incentives and standards. If that's possible.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,301 times
The sports complex at Shawnee is outstanding. My son plays in the KVYSL and many of their games are held there. A couple Saturday's ago, there were probably 8-10 youth soccer games going on (youth games are played on smaller field, so they can fit more games in going side to side), 1 lacrosse match, and a travel football game all being played at the same time. It was one busy place to be!

Soon the baseball complex will be open. Looks like they built at least 4 baseball fields behind the soccer fields. This is going to be a huge money maker for the area, and the local kids are already benefiting from it.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
The sports complex at Shawnee is outstanding. My son plays in the KVYSL and many of their games are held there. A couple Saturday's ago, there were probably 8-10 youth soccer games going on (youth games are played on smaller field, so they can fit more games in going side to side), 1 lacrosse match, and a travel football game all being played at the same time. It was one busy place to be!

Soon the baseball complex will be open. Looks like they built at least 4 baseball fields behind the soccer fields. This is going to be a huge money maker for the area, and the local kids are already benefiting from it.
I couldn’t agree more. These kinds of things help draw in and keep families in the Valley as well. We local government(s) need to invest more in sports facilities and parks. An aquatic center is a major need for our area. Some kids that go to my church are swimmers and they are always complaining about how they have basically 1 option and that is the YMCA which is always busy. Much smaller towns have public facilities that are much better (nothing against the Y) and can accommodate more people/events. If you want to stop the bleeding in this area, Kanawha County and Charleston need to invest in our youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston