U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2018, 08:03 AM
 
16 posts, read 10,283 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

What is the security level when it comes to state jobs? I have an interview coming up & I was curious. Don't want to accept a job that could he eliminated in a few months.

Also, does anyone know what PEIA benefits cost per month? I pay less than $90 at my current job. I appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 AM
 
9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewvguy View Post
What is the security level when it comes to state jobs? I have an interview coming up & I was curious. Don't want to accept a job that could he eliminated in a few months.

Also, does anyone know what PEIA benefits cost per month? I pay less than $90 at my current job. I appreciate any help.
I'm retired from state government work, and have been for a long time, but I know this much ... the State of West Virginia has some of the very best paid elected officials and political appointees ... 4th. best paid per capita in the whole country. They have teachers who rank 48th. in terms of pay, and state employees who rank 50th. Those who control the state's political apparatus have, over the past 40 years or so, established a sort of fiefdom where the political elite are the Lords of the Manor and the workers are very much the serfs. Unfortunately, our electorate is not sophisticated to the point of knowing what is actually going on, so the prospects for that to change are not at all good in the foreseeable future.

The bloated brain trust that comprises the appointee legion is so incompetent that they don't even know how many cars are in their motor pool. One agency missed federal reporting requirements not once, but 3 years in a row resulting in millions of dollars in costs for the state's colleges and universities. The very same appointed hack still runs that operation. The entire state government is a comedy of errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 09:56 AM
 
1,351 posts, read 1,255,098 times
Reputation: 389
Thewvguy,

It also depends on the job, the agency and the funding source. If you're paid by federal funds or grants, then you could be subject to a job ending if the funding runs its planned timeframe.

Also, as a new employee you need to finish your probation period as well. One thing to consider as a new employee, if you plan on staying long term, like to retirement, your retirement benefits are minimal, and costs are higher, compared to others of have been with the state for a number of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 03:56 PM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
10,257 posts, read 10,376,934 times
Reputation: 6929
Like aeros71 said, it is possible for funding to dry up on some jobs. Much of DHHR and all of Workforce WV is federally funded. Although some programs come and go, I've never known Workforce to lay anybody off, bit it theoretically COULD happen.

Before I retired, my PEIA premium was about $200/month. Getting an AARP Medicare Supplement cost about half what PEIA would have cost me.

One thing a person needs to realize when taking a WV state government job is that there is absolutely NO provision for you to ever get a raise, so matter how much the cost of living goes up. You can't get a raise for doing a good job. (Joe Manchin put a stop to merit raises when he took office as Governor.) You have to bid on another job to get a 5% pay raise. The legislature has to pass a bill into law to increase the overall pay scale. They have not been good to state government employees for many years.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 05:08 PM
 
16 posts, read 10,283 times
Reputation: 17
Thank you for the responses. I'm in a pretty dead end job and the state I've been offered pays about $1.50 more per hour. However, like I stated earlier, my benefits total about $90 per month. My current dental insurance is average I think. However, I've worked two years with very little time off. Assuming PEIA doesn't drain me too much, I was hoping to have a slight increase in money & finally have some days off. I've worked every Christmas since 1999.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2018, 05:15 PM
 
9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Like aeros71 said, it is possible for funding to dry up on some jobs. Much of DHHR and all of Workforce WV is federally funded. Although some programs come and go, I've never known Workforce to lay anybody off, bit it theoretically COULD happen.

Before I retired, my PEIA premium was about $200/month. Getting an AARP Medicare Supplement cost about half what PEIA would have cost me.

One thing a person needs to realize when taking a WV state government job is that there is absolutely NO provision for you to ever get a raise, so matter how much the cost of living goes up. You can't get a raise for doing a good job. (Joe Manchin put a stop to merit raises when he took office as Governor.) You have to bid on another job to get a 5% pay raise. The legislature has to pass a bill into law to increase the overall pay scale. They have not been good to state government employees for many years.
This is absolutely correct. While most states use the 2% times number of years worked times average of three highest years earnings to calculate retirement earnings, there are also major differences in how the retirement fund is funded, and how it is managed. When I worked for WV state government, we had to contribute 8% of our meager wages to the pension fund for as long as we worked for the state. In many states, the employee pays nothing. In NY State, where I went to work after WV, one paid 3% for ten years, then zero after that with the government paying the difference. There are also differences in cost of living adjustments for retirees. In West Virginia, they are not guaranteed, and although they do vest after 5 years, in order to get a cost of living raise at all one generally has to have a full 20 years of covered employment whereas NY, for example, gives guaranteed cost of living raises to all retirees every year.

Unlike WV, NY also has guaranteed step raises for each of 7 years for every state job (generally 3% per year), similar to the Federal system. As mensa said, in WV there are no guaranteed raises at all. In general, working for WV state government is a thankless, impoverished job. And watching the highly paid political hacks who run the various agencies strut around like incompetent pompadours is a morale buster. Getting a pension check from a defined benefit plan is better than not having one at all though, so there are some positives in comparison with other private sector jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2018, 02:43 AM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,812 posts, read 3,295,385 times
Reputation: 501
About 10 years ago i was considering a job opening at the WV Office of Technology....until i found out the pay. I'm very thankful i didn't pursue the job there any further. It would be a decent job right out of college to put on a resume, but not to raise a family on long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM
 
9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
About 10 years ago i was considering a job opening at the WV Office of Technology....until i found out the pay. I'm very thankful i didn't pursue the job there any further. It would be a decent job right out of college to put on a resume, but not to raise a family on long term.
There are very few WV state jobs where raising a family without both parents working would be a viable result. A person with considerable technical expertise could quite possibly find a good federal job in the state though, which usually is viable for raising a family due to their guaranteed annual step increases and pension funding formulas. The potential for doing that varies wildly from one part of the state to another.

The thing a professional has to keep in mind though, is the closer one comes to retirement age the more important the retirement monthly income becomes. Lots of people who work for private enterprise their entire careers and make good money in comparison with their public sector counterparts reach retirement age only to find that their impoverished government worker friends have far better retirements due to their defined benefit pension plans that also usually have lifetime healthcare benefits attached, although in West Virginia, that health benefit is practically worthless due to the costs involved (as mensa pointed out above) and the high deductibles, out of pocket maximums, and catastrophic illness thresholds that have to be met. PEIA is next to worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 10:26 AM
 
16 posts, read 10,283 times
Reputation: 17
Ok so the one positive I keep hearing is how great state benefits are. I just called in my 90 day prescription for of 3 medicines I take. It cost almost $250!! My last job in the private sector the cost was $90. Actually, the last few years most were free because they came from Canada I believe.

Not impressed with the state benefits at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2018, 10:50 AM
 
1,348 posts, read 1,047,878 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewvguy View Post
Ok so the one positive I keep hearing is how great state benefits are. I just called in my 90 day prescription for of 3 medicines I take. It cost almost $250!! My last job in the private sector the cost was $90. Actually, the last few years most were free because they came from Canada I believe.

Not impressed with the state benefits at all.
It might be that you haven't met your deductible yet since it just reset for the year in the beginning of July. But yes state benefits aren't really that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top