U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2018, 04:54 PM
 
1,352 posts, read 1,255,858 times
Reputation: 389

Advertisements

I agree with you in that I would rather see the Sears property developed into something besides a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2018, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,812 posts, read 3,296,055 times
Reputation: 501
I think it could be a really nice fit if they do it right. When i worked in Tampa, i would stay at the downtown Hilton. It was connected to other buildings and parking via skywalk. It was also built right up to the intersection, giving it a very urban feel.
A condensed version of that (10-15 stories), while connected to the mall and parking garage would be an asset to Charleston imo.

Hilton Tampa Downtown Hotel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 04:09 AM
 
349 posts, read 195,516 times
Reputation: 187
What you’ve described sounds like what needs to happen. But I am a skeptic when it comes to the history of this developer. Combining that with their portfolio I think we may be very underwhelmed with the end result. And that’s only if this project ever happens. I saw where the east end restaurant proposals fell through yesterday. It’s almost as if 9 out of 10 proposed projects in Charleston never come into fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 AM
 
Location: 304
4,979 posts, read 6,535,031 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
What youíve described sounds like what needs to happen. But I am a skeptic when it comes to the history of this developer. Combining that with their portfolio I think we may be very underwhelmed with the end result. And thatís only if this project ever happens. I saw where the east end restaurant proposals fell through yesterday. Itís almost as if 9 out of 10 proposed projects in Charleston never come into fruition.
I hope that it is something a lot nicer than what the portfolio suggests as well. In fact, this company owns the Knights Inn and Days Inn hotels in Kanwaha City. Those alone are arguably among the worst hotels in the city. I doesn't necessarily have to be tall if it is done correctly.



This example of a Hyatt Place is fairly nice, but not over the top. This example would appear to work well smashed up against the Town Center as well. Also, this class of Hilton is not out of question for Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 10:24 AM
 
349 posts, read 195,516 times
Reputation: 187
That’s a nice building. I would hope they would go that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
106 posts, read 87,170 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I hope that it is something a lot nicer than what the portfolio suggests as well. In fact, this company owns the Knights Inn and Days Inn hotels in Kanwaha City. Those alone are arguably among the worst hotels in the city. I doesn't necessarily have to be tall if it is done correctly.



This example of a Hyatt Place is fairly nice, but not over the top. This example would appear to work well smashed up against the Town Center as well. Also, this class of Hilton is not out of question for Charleston.
Except it is not a Hilton Brand......that is Hyatt. Hiltons brands are Hilton Garden Inn, Home2Suites, Hampton Inn, and their new concept TRU by Hilton......all pretty underwhelming. It would be fantastic for Charleston to get a real Hilton maybe in the 200 room count range. It is the capitol city and would be a great asset for the convention business at the renovated Civic Center. While it would've been nice to see a Dillards, Boscovs, or VonMaur fill the Sears space, an upscale hotel development is definitely a step in the right direction. Any squatty budget hotel of the kind on this developer's web site should be loudly rejected by the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 08:14 PM
 
617 posts, read 362,454 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
Except it is not a Hilton Brand......that is Hyatt. Hiltons brands are Hilton Garden Inn, Home2Suites, Hampton Inn, and their new concept TRU by Hilton......all pretty underwhelming. It would be fantastic for Charleston to get a real Hilton maybe in the 200 room count range. It is the capitol city and would be a great asset for the convention business at the renovated Civic Center. While it would've been nice to see a Dillards, Boscovs, or VonMaur fill the Sears space, an upscale hotel development is definitely a step in the right direction. Any squatty budget hotel of the kind on this developer's web site should be loudly rejected by the city.

If you go to the Hilton Corporate site it lists how they rank their brands and the Embassy would be in direct competition for the same clientele of the Hilton Garden Inn. Hampton Inn is one of their bottom feeder properties below everything else on your list. TRU is new but also a bottom rung brand. Home2 and Home2 is the next to lowest tier and Homewood Suites and Double Tree are in the one between Embassy and Hilton Garden. Frankly, none of them excite me. I would prefer a Hyatt Place or straight up Hyatt to anything else in the Hilton holster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 05:04 AM
 
Location: 304
4,979 posts, read 6,535,031 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
Except it is not a Hilton Brand......that is Hyatt. Hiltons brands are Hilton Garden Inn, Home2Suites, Hampton Inn, and their new concept TRU by Hilton......all pretty underwhelming. It would be fantastic for Charleston to get a real Hilton maybe in the 200 room count range. It is the capitol city and would be a great asset for the convention business at the renovated Civic Center. While it would've been nice to see a Dillards, Boscovs, or VonMaur fill the Sears space, an upscale hotel development is definitely a step in the right direction. Any squatty budget hotel of the kind on this developer's web site should be loudly rejected by the city.
Oops, Sorry I was mistaken. I have been picturing the wrong company in my head this whole time.

That kind of limits the options from what I can see. Hilton Garden Inn or Double Tree appear (IMO) to be the most logical. I don't believe that a Hilton proper or one of their upscale brands would be in the running. We are taking about a city with big issues. With that being said, the hotel could still be nice and add to the market.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 06:59 AM
 
349 posts, read 195,516 times
Reputation: 187
I doubt that with the situation Charleston is in and the track record of this developer with local projects that this even happens and it might be for the best. I love seeing growth and development but at the same time if they are just going to tie a ribbon to a turd and tell us how great it is then I hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 10:11 AM
 
617 posts, read 362,454 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I doubt that with the situation Charleston is in and the track record of this developer with local projects that this even happens and it might be for the best. I love seeing growth and development but at the same time if they are just going to tie a ribbon to a turd and tell us how great it is then I hope not.


Charleston does have some critical assets in its favor:


(1) Location, few are better than being two blocks from a Federal Disrtict Court House, attached to a large urban mall and across the street from a regional convention center that has just udnergone a massive renovation. This is all in a city, that is without question the business and convention center of the state.


(2) Need. Charleston has always run into the 90s on occupancy in the two major properties, Marriott and Embassy. The new Courtyard has had very high occupancy but beyond "exceeding expectations" on that note, I do not know any official number. Charleston is short probably 200 rooms for a healthy market in general and when you add in the capacity of events that will be possible in the new Civic Center, just where do you put 5,000 visitors? Such conventions in past years sucked up hotel rooms all the way to Parkersburg, Beckly and Huntington and there was still need for more.


(3) The economy. While the economic turn around in the nation has yet to hit West Virginia, in the rest of the nation it is going like gangbusters. A job that pays $12.00 an hour in Charleston starts at $18.00 in Atlanta and those that start at $15.00 in Charleston demand $25.00 in Atlanta. So, while we think of Charleston's economic woes holding us back, it is not holding back major corporations that make chocies. This KM Hotels may be a small fish but he has big fish friends that will look at this is an opportunity if he fails.


I really have no idea what is going to happen. I know what I would do given the corporate structure and check book that he has, but he has other plans besides this one that all demand attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top