U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 03:33 PM

358 posts, read 199,044 times

Advertisements

If you get bored and want to see something interesting go out to a retailer or restaurant website for something WV doesn’t have. Almost always the entire state sits within the outline of a ring of locations out of state. I will say that you panhandle folks of either direction do have the advantage of driving an hour or 2 if that max to reach many of the places we don’t have. Charleston is not that fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 06:43 AM

992 posts, read 1,670,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
If you get bored and want to see something interesting go out to a retailer or restaurant website for something WV doesnít have. Almost always the entire state sits within the outline of a ring of locations out of state. I will say that you panhandle folks of either direction do have the advantage of driving an hour or 2 if that max to reach many of the places we donít have. Charleston is not that fortunate.
Very true. Those retailers/restaurants know that as well, which in a lot of cases further inhibits them from entering our state. They figure why locate in the panhandle (despite the growth) when we can reach 10x the population in VA, MD.

I predict Morgantown and Wheeling have a similar problem with the Pittsburgh metro.

It all comes down to demographics/economics.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,068,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Very true. Those retailers/restaurants know that as well, which in a lot of cases further inhibits them from entering our state. They figure why locate in the panhandle (despite the growth) when we can reach 10x the population in VA, MD.

I predict Morgantown and Wheeling have a similar problem with the Pittsburgh metro.

It all comes down to demographics/economics.
That we (Morgantown) do. Within an hour to an hour and a half drive we have Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Costco, Krispy Kreme, Bone Fish Grill, Buca di Beppo, Joe's Crab Shack, Hofbrauhaus, BJ's Brewhouse (though that is supposedly rumored to be building here in the next year), Cheesecake Factory, Burgatory and Red Robin to name a few. Its a curse being so close because they won't come down here (some because of distance and others because of demographics) but it's a blessing that we are as "close" as we are too.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 AM

Some of these places would do well. Red Robin and Trader Joe’s somewhere in Charleston would be fine but they won’t touch us with a 20 foot pole. Having a workforce of druggies in their pay scale isn’t helping.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:21 PM

992 posts, read 1,670,683 times
Quote:
Some of these places would do well. Red Robin and Trader Joeís somewhere in Charleston would be fine but they wonít touch us with a 20 foot pole. Having a workforce of druggies in their pay scale isnít helping.
I truly believe the drug epidemic is the final nail in the coffin for WV. I don't see an answer or a road to progress. It's out of our hands.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:26 PM

625 posts, read 367,100 times
It has been a while since I could post anything new about this project but some news came to me today. The Sears site has not begun demolition because the design work on the new hotel is not approved yet. Every project like this has to go through a series of hurdles for prominent individuals and small groups to give their blessing. It can be a long, unpredictable process.

Cost analysis have been on various room count and configurations. Some include using the Town Center parking garage fully, some partially and one, not at all. All will have direct access into the Town Center and at least one of them has direct access into the Civic Center. I am not sure how that would be set up, but I would think any of the proposals would contain that feature.

The floor count is not what I had hoped.

The smallest was a 6 or an 8 using the Town Center garages fully and spreading out the Hotel as much as the foot print would allow. That would not be an awful property but to me it is underwhelming considering what could be done.

The next series runs from 10 to 16 floors, there is even an 18. It is the one that uses no support garage services. The ones from 10 to 16, purchase parts of the Town Center garage capacity as over flow and or employee parking with a bridge connector into the back of the hotel.

The best part of the news, if true, is that the new property is a straight up Hilton.

An All suite hotel, such as Embassy, Home2 or Homewood would compete with the nearby Embassy (another owner, not KM) or the Marriott Suites.

Hilton Garden or TRU would compete with the Hampton Inn just across Elk River.

That leaves a Double Tree or a Hilton and I was informed Double Tree is the brand used when Hilton Inc., snags a property from a previous brand. New construction at this level is a Hilton.

While I like my source, she is also anxious about the project but knows KM very well. At the very least it points to KM's hopes for the property even if this should all fall out. The worst it will be is an 8 story hotel, under the Hilton Garden name, per her. Not awful, but certainly meh. A Hilton in town would put Embassy, Marriott and Sheraton's Four Points on notice, making all of them fight for second.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:50 AM

18 stories would be spectacular. I just don’t see Charleston doing this. I’m prepared to be massively underwhelmed but would be delighted to be wrong.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:38 PM

625 posts, read 367,100 times
Quote:
18 stories would be spectacular. I just donít see Charleston doing this. Iím prepared to be massively underwhelmed but would be delighted to be wrong.

While I am not part of the process but know a few on the fringe of it, my expectations are a bit less than 18. The Holiday Inn Express was originally started to be a 22 floor hotel but was scaled back at the very last second. The Marriott was designed so that an additional 10 floors could be built on top of their 4 level parking garage, but I doubt that happens. They could have taken that option and added a tower of suites instead of building a new property 3 blocks away for that service.

I expect a 10-12 floor property with direct access into Town Center and bridges into Town Center parking for employees and over flow guest and into the Civic Center. I will be fine with a Hilton Garden but I would prefer a Hilton.

The nice factor Charleston has going for it is that the economy is booming nationwide even if it is only humming in the Valley. There are more job openings than applicants right now in Charleston and wages are going up as a result. When you see HR openings you are hiring the most underutilized profession in administration and by the time you see that, everything else is being filled.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:22 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,305,860 times
if they do go with the Hilton brand and not the Garden variety, anything even half the size of the Hilton downtown Tampa would be adequate. I’ve stayed there on business trips and it’s a fantastic full service hotel that has a very urban vibe.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:09 AM

I am going to hope that they go with the taller version where they construct their own parking. This would be a more impressive structure but it would also provide more parking close to the civic center. It would also leave the current parking intact for the mall in case whatever it becomes ends up being something that would need those spaces for parking or who knows how but maybe future expansion. One thing this valley and state does not have is flat land so making the most of what you have is a good idea. Plus the first 4 or 5 floors up against the mall wouldn’t be able to have windows on one or two sides until the structure rose above that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or