Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
The pre-positioning of dumpsters and other ancillary equipment began today at the Sears site. A lot of the soft removable material has been extracted from the interior - read that as furnishings, cabinetry and the like. Additional equipment will arrive at the site Friday and likely Saturday. On Monday, the interior structure exempting supporting structure will come out. Things like the escalator, bathrooms dummy columns and department partitions. I do not expect this stage to take too long, perhaps ten days at most. There will be a mini Christmas break and then site clean up from that removal before wrecking ball work starts after the shopping season.

I will up date this as events unfold.

oh, one other tid-bit of potential interest, surveyors have been working around the Marriott the last two days. I will try to get into that tomorrow.
Thanks CG

I also noticed they were doing some work to the parking garage connector between the Marriott and CTC. I wonder if that was related to the surveying you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:09 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
The pre-positioning of dumpsters and other ancillary equipment began today at the Sears site. A lot of the soft removable material has been extracted from the interior - read that as furnishings, cabinetry and the like. Additional equipment will arrive at the site Friday and likely Saturday. On Monday, the interior structure exempting supporting structure will come out. Things like the escalator, bathrooms dummy columns and department partitions. I do not expect this stage to take too long, perhaps ten days at most. There will be a mini Christmas break and then site clean up from that removal before wrecking ball work starts after the shopping season.

I will up date this as events unfold.

oh, one other tid-bit of potential interest, surveyors have been working around the Marriott the last two days. I will try to get into that tomorrow.
The Mariott could desperately use an exterior facelift. I can't speak for the interior, I've never actually been inside.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:50 AM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
At least pressure wash the stone exterior. Besides that has anyone noticed that the exterior of the Hampton at Southridge looks odd and like they never finished completing it? I think these places have the mentality that since it’s in WV nobody really cares so they don’t have to care either. You go out of state and see basic shopping centers that have some kind of decor and theme to them. In WV it’s like they just throw a bunch of blocks together and slap on a coating of paint a few years later because they think we’re all a bunch of stupid hillbillies that are too dumb to notice or care about it.

Last edited by JohnNada; 11-30-2018 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Added some more

Old 11-30-2018, 10:52 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
At least pressure wash the stone exterior. Besides that has anyone noticed that the exterior of the Hampton at Southridge looks odd and like they never finished completing it? I think these places have the mentality that since it’s in WV nobody really cares so they don’t have to care either. You go out of state and see basic shopping centers that have some kind of decor and theme to them. In WV it’s like they just throw a bunch of blocks together and slap on a coating of paint a few years later because they think we’re all a bunch of stupid hillbillies that are too dumb to notice or care about it.
I've said that before! It is also tucked way back in there and hard to find to someone coming off the Corridor. I've always wondered how that one stays in business.

On a side note since we are talking about the new hotel next to the mall- How is the mall currently doing? I haven't been in a long time but always manage to have to go when I am in during the Christmas holiday every year. It was looking a little down and out last year.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:57 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
The Mariott could desperately use an exterior facelift. I can't speak for the interior, I've never actually been inside.
The lobby was remodeled and updated a few years ago I believe, no more than say five years at the most.

My opinion is that the rest of the interior isn't in bad shape but is showing its age and looks tired. I've seen a lot worse but I've seen more look better.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:30 PM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I've said that before! It is also tucked way back in there and hard to find to someone coming off the Corridor. I've always wondered how that one stays in business.

On a side note since we are talking about the new hotel next to the mall- How is the mall currently doing? I haven't been in a long time but always manage to have to go when I am in during the Christmas holiday every year. It was looking a little down and out last year.

The mall is about the same. I’ve been in there twice recently and foot traffic was there so people are shopping. It just needs a massive renewal.

And that Hampton at Southridge is really nice once inside. I have no idea why they designed it to look like they’ve hung unfinished sheets of drywall on the exterior. It’s the oddest looking Hampton that I’ve ever seen.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:09 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I did a Google search and the Charleston Marriott had a $8 million dollar renovation 6 years ago. Apparently we also had a short thread about it here in the Charleston forum as well.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:30 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Was in the mall Thursday evening and it didn’t seem anywhere as near as busy as you would have expected for holiday shopping. It’s sad seeing all the empty spaces. However, there is still a good number of stores in there, and they have founds some unique ways of filling some of the empty ones. There is a contemporary theater in one that was being used when I was up there. Also one space is dedicated for a WV music hall of fame and is well done. UC has opened some kind of office beside Starbucks at center court. Thursday evening they were showcasing the basketball team and one of the radio stations was set up there. A lot of UC students were hanging around the event.

I am still of the opinion that retail isn’t dead. Go anywhere outside this area and just look at the construction of new shopping centers. Indoor malls even are thriving in the right markets.

Completely off topic LOL

Back on topic, the Marriott interior is very nice. Considering the age of the building, they should certainly think about ways to update the exterior. Power spraying only goes son far, and I’d like to see some paint applied in some places.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:31 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The lobby was remodeled and updated a few years ago I believe, no more than say five years at the most.

My opinion is that the rest of the interior isn't in bad shape but is showing its age and looks tired. I've seen a lot worse but I've seen more look better.

From an industry point of view - mine, for what it is worth. Marriott Town Center is a dirty dump. The outside is filthy; the inside is stale. The lighting is dim and the exterior signage looks so old you could see a replica in any of the post-apocalyptic movies.

The lay out of the hotel is dated to the 80s and to make it all so much worse, stepping into the lobby and you are greeted with 2 unwelcoming concerns. It is V E R Y cold inside, in spite of a nice looking and inviting fireplace and the music is CONCERT level loud. Just to add to the problems that same music is blaring outside and the song choices are not-family friendly. When I was last there I heard Work ***** by Britney Spears and Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye. I know I may sound like a prude but in spite of that being acceptable in general, it is NOT what any property should be playing.

All of the manager's are OLD. That is not a death note by itself by an old staff is indicative of the problems the property has. The hotel reeks of grandma's house.

But it is not all bad, there is little to no trash on the grounds and the landscaping - such as it is - is well cared for.

Contrast that to the Embassy that looks like the landscaping has been allowed to grow wild and untended. Worse, the weed infested and overgrown landscaping is collecting all sorts of blowing litter. Both properties are W A Y past their prime. Just look at the western side of the Embassy - it has dirt and rust stains running from the top floor all the way down the side of the building. I think the most unbelievable thing about the Embassy is that it has NO PARKING. They rent space from CTC and whoever buys the mall is not obligated to retain that agreement. What would Embassy do then? Just dumb.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,181 times
All of the manager's are OLD.

The restaurant manage graduated from high school in 1994.

Since our youngest child graduated that same year, you sure do know how to make a guy feel really OLD.

I stay there several nights a year and there are some great employees who have weathered the ever-changing managers that Marriott brings to the area.

I agree with the COLD part of the lobby area 100%.

The bar/restaurant area renovation brought it up to current open area philosophies. Very hard to do much with the size of the rooms with the tiny bathrooms unless you reduce the number of rooms and knock down walls.

It is far from a dump, in my opinion. I am currently at 121 nights this year and really think you are being a little harsh on this hotel as I compare the service and amenities that we get around the areas we stay. The treatment and welcome we get from the employees far exceeds any facility problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston