U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 387 times

Advertisements

Born and raised there but have been away for the last 45 years due to gov't job. Now retired and thinking about returning with my wife as empty nesters. Of course, I have very fond childhood memories of the area and would appreciate any opinions on living in Kanawha City these days. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 08:18 AM

349 posts, read 195,274 times
I was partially raised in KC. Still have family there. There are some nice areas but crime is on the rise. More houses for sale there now than I have ever seen. I know a lot of people who live there that want to leave. You should be able to get a deal but be picky about the location and scope out the neighborhood. I would not advise living on the railroad track side unless you go up one of the hollows.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:00 AM

615 posts, read 362,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I was partially raised in KC. Still have family there. There are some nice areas but crime is on the rise. More houses for sale there now than I have ever seen. I know a lot of people who live there that want to leave. You should be able to get a deal but be picky about the location and scope out the neighborhood. I would not advise living on the railroad track side unless you go up one of the hollows.

I concur. A house between MacCorkle and the River is probably ok, but between MacCorkle and the tracks, I would not assume it was ok, regardless of where. You might do ok, further up one of the canyons, but even those are getting the creeping crud. Overall, I would not buy in KC, anywhere. It is following Edgewood's death spiral. Once, decades ago, Edgewood was a wonderful neighborhood, but the area wilted when the West Side slid into the abyss. KC was the last bastion, but its days have come. I see more crime reports from KC than I do from the West Side and East End combined, but it seems to be downplayed in the news.

Of course it does not help that Marmeth is right next door. Marmet is nothing but a meth den these days.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:16 PM

1,260 posts, read 3,332,274 times
I agree with the above. Maybe it was just me but Kanawha City was looking a little 'tired' when I was in town over the summer. I noticed a large number of homes for sale/ rent and a lot of them, especially towards the railroad tracks seemed to be poorly maintained. Blocks close to the river didn't quite have this feeling, at least between the hospital and 50th Street but wouldn't be surprised if you continue to see a slow downward decline along the lines of the West Side Hill. Mt. Alpha and the other neighborhoods in the hills above Kanawha City should continue to be fine. The areas past Kroger towards Marmet seemed to have really gone downhill.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 387 times
Thanks for the replies. Lived on both sides of MacCorkle and even across the tracks on Chesterfield Ave. back in the day. Moving back is just a whim based on fond childhood memories. But Thomas Wolfe is probably correct about going home again. Thanks for the inputs and I sort of expected the results. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or