U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 06:48 AM

1,407 posts, read 1,303,668 times

Advertisements

That's a good point Silkdashocker and it's surprising considering that CC-CC has the larger capacity and isn't just a large warehouse type of building.

I'm happy to see the improvements to the CC-CC but they really need to update the arena portion of the property. The drab concrete everywhere makes you feel like you're in a tomb. They need more color in the concourse areas, along with some windows to bring in the natural light. The drab concrete needs to be at least painted in the seating bowl area, along with better lighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 AM

1,460 posts, read 1,152,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Kind of hard to answer your questions Matt without this getting into politics, but I can at least try.

I was not happy with either choice, but I did prefers Akers for his stance on eliminating the Transit Terminal and reducing the size of City Council - both good moves in my opinion. As for Goodwin, hmmm...I could be wrong but, no I do not think she will do a good job or be a good steward.

I do not say that because I doubt her in any way. I really do not know anything about her, but I also did not know much about Akers - neither of them are the sort of personality that makes for warming up to.

Goodwin smacks me as an opportunist. I have the feeling her goal is not to be Mayor of Charleston but rather, Having BEEN Mayor of Charleston and moving on to a lection bid as a Senator or House Rep. I do not think she wants to be governor either. She has all the markings of someone that wants a name and wants money. The job is the means to getting there and Charleston is a resume padder. I hope I am wrong.
That is pretty much the sentiment I have seen else where. I've seen elsewhere that others are worried she might only excel with what she knows and let everything else fall to the wayside.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:35 AM

380 posts, read 216,610 times
I didn’t care for either candidate. Neither one proposed anything close to having a real vision for Charleston. The place to me has the feel of a captainless ship that has finally run aground. Can it be repaired and set sail again or will it rot away and become buried in the sand? At this point Im pretty much beyond caring and focusing now on where I’ll live in about 5 years down the road. It seems like we’ve had a couple of lost decades here. And the civic center is great and all but I’m not sure at the end of the day if we will actually realize any noticeable benefit from it. The hotel next to it if it is even built has been in play for years so that’s not some directly attributable to it. There just doesn’t seem to be anything here creating energy and spurring development and without having that nothing is going to change for the better.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:22 PM

530 posts, read 927,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
Kind of hard to answer your questions Matt without this getting into politics, but I can at least try.

I was not happy with either choice, but I did prefers Akers for his stance on eliminating the Transit Terminal and reducing the size of City Council - both good moves in my opinion. As for Goodwin, hmmm...I could be wrong but, no I do not think she will do a good job or be a good steward.

I do not say that because I doubt her in any way. I really do not know anything about her, but I also did not know much about Akers - neither of them are the sort of personality that makes for warming up to.

Goodwin smacks me as an opportunist. I have the feeling her goal is not to be Mayor of Charleston but rather, Having BEEN Mayor of Charleston and moving on to a lection bid as a Senator or House Rep. I do not think she wants to be governor either. She has all the markings of someone that wants a name and wants money. The job is the means to getting there and Charleston is a resume padder. I hope I am wrong.
Knowing nothing about either candidate but you have opinions based on what? Amy Goodwin already has a name and money.

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

646 posts, read 389,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Knowing nothing about either candidate but you have opinions based on what? Amy Goodwin already has a name and money.

My opinion is based on the most elementary component required to make a judgment - observation. I have watched her interviews, listened to her commentaries and most important noted all of the questions she ducked. Those were the most telling facts about her stance, there were two types of questions she ducked:

Those in which she had no answer (the majority),

Those in which the answer would not be readily acceptable to the voters (the minority),

Answers that the voters may not like further fall into two categories:

Harsh truth that the people do not want to hear but know it must be dealt with,

Answers that fit the candidate personal brand of politics that support their personal style and ideology, which is counter to the wishes of the voter and not based on community need.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

380 posts, read 216,610 times
I figure this job is being looked at her and her political family as a launching pad for a higher office. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. In order to go further into politics she will need to have something to show for here in Charleston as her grand accomplishment. That in itself could be mutually beneficial for her and the city. We will just have to take a wait and see approach.

Last week I ran into two more friends that are moving their families out of here. Both are good families and beneficial to the community. One is first generation Charlestonian new blood and the other is old Virginia blue blood money. Both have had it here. I'm just afraid that we've gotten to the point that I'm not really certain anyone can come in here and make a meaningful improvement because of the rapid decline.

Basically we've had almost 2 lost decades. These happened to come during a bad time for the national economy so it made things much worse. We really need a miracle and I'm not thinking it's her but for our sake and her sake I would be elated to be wrong.

Old Today, 06:22 AM

1,407 posts, read 1,303,668 times
I agree that the new Mayor has a lot of work to accomplish and correct from the previous administration. Hopefully having some new perspective and vision will at least get things moving in the right direction. To correct the problems of previous admins, she would probably need 3 or 4 terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston