U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:29 PM

5,025 posts, read 6,642,761 times

Advertisements

Anyone watch/watching the debate this evening?

A lot of stuff that we discuss on here was brought up in the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 06:02 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,699,731 times
Here ya go:

https://www.facebook.com/eyewitnessn...5915136082423/

Old 10-17-2018, 03:51 PM

646 posts, read 389,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Anyone watch/watching the debate this evening?

A lot of stuff that we discuss on here was brought up in the debate.

Watched the debate and went back and forth to make sure I heard each comment accurately. You are correct that everything they have discussed here but there were things that they did not discuss that are nearly as important. To be honest, both of the candidate talk the talk but have no plans. We need a mayor that has a plan regardless of what they think the reception of that plan may be.

Both seem sincere but I do not think either of them have a real plan.

I think they both know the solution but either of them have the testicles to do what it is needed. Candidate Akers does support eliminating the Transit Mall, which is a critical move.

I am not sure how much leeway Mensa will give us to discuss this subject as at its core this is a political topic. However, that being said, these two people are going to be the choice we have to determine all of the non-political things we care so much about in the present and future. Once a mod responds on whether we can dive into this I will dive into this but if they don't we should just move on.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:31 PM

5,025 posts, read 6,642,761 times
Sticking with some of the non-political points. There was a lot of talk about finding new and creative ways of attracting tourists. Clearly Miss Goodwin has a bigger platform on that issue, while Akers kind of steered away from the subject. Also mentioned via a question was about asking the Health Department to move so that site could be redeveloped. Obviously there has been talk of this before, and there is no real reason why the health department needs to be located right in that specific spot. If money is the issue, the. Maybe the city could free up some space in a CURA owned property?

Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Sticking with some of the non-political points. There was a lot of talk about finding new and creative ways of attracting tourists. Clearly Miss Goodwin has a bigger platform on that issue, while Akers kind of steered away from the subject. Also mentioned via a question was about asking the Health Department to move so that site could be redeveloped. Obviously there has been talk of this before, and there is no real reason why the health department needs to be located right in that specific spot. If money is the issue, the. Maybe the city could free up some space in a CURA owned property?

I think it is universal that the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department has been a disaster to the city and instead of it being relocated, I would rather see it eliminated altogether.

As for tourism. The number one driver of tourism is not what a mayor says or does, not what program the city makes a focal point of and certainly not something that they can package into a proposal and sell to potential visitors. Every place tries that method and gets zilch for the time and money utilized.

What does work is something you can't buy and something no government can control - word of mouth. Word of mouth comes as a first person testimonial to an ear that it is the right place to hear it. It takes a long time to get out - ten to twenty years for a city like Charleston that has a HUGE black eye for safety.

As I have stated before, you want the roaches to go away so you can invite the neighbors over that will want to set down, you have to run out the roach motels and gathering spots. That means closing housing for the poor and services that cater to addicts and welfare recipients. If the filth of the city is cleaned out people will come back and when locals move back and use the CBD for fun, tourism will take off.

It is a harsh thing to do, to shove out those in need, but if you do a census of those living on the flat in Charleston, it is predominantly that strata of the demography. These people provide nothing to the tax, draw off of the city funds and worse, stain the city with their illegal activities further damaging the chances the city can turn it all around.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:19 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,152,777 times
So without getting political, what is everyones opinion of Amy Goodwin winning? Do you think she will do a good job and have good plans? Also, do you think she will be a good steward of the city or will she not do a good job?

Old 11-07-2018, 04:02 PM

1,407 posts, read 1,303,668 times
I think she'll do a good job. One thing to remember is that Mayor Jones is leaving a monumental mess to clean up so it may take her some time to get the improvements moving forward.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
So without getting political, what is everyones opinion of Amy Goodwin winning? Do you think she will do a good job and have good plans? Also, do you think she will be a good steward of the city or will she not do a good job?

Kind of hard to answer your questions Matt without this getting into politics, but I can at least try.

I was not happy with either choice, but I did prefers Akers for his stance on eliminating the Transit Terminal and reducing the size of City Council - both good moves in my opinion. As for Goodwin, hmmm...I could be wrong but, no I do not think she will do a good job or be a good steward.

I do not say that because I doubt her in any way. I really do not know anything about her, but I also did not know much about Akers - neither of them are the sort of personality that makes for warming up to.

Goodwin smacks me as an opportunist. I have the feeling her goal is not to be Mayor of Charleston but rather, Having BEEN Mayor of Charleston and moving on to a lection bid as a Senator or House Rep. I do not think she wants to be governor either. She has all the markings of someone that wants a name and wants money. The job is the means to getting there and Charleston is a resume padder. I hope I am wrong.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I think she'll do a good job. One thing to remember is that Mayor Jones is leaving a monumental mess to clean up so it may take her some time to get the improvements moving forward.

I have already replied to what I think of Goodwin so I will highlight your other comment. I do not think Jones has left a monumental mess. I do not think he really left anything because he had so little vision and was coasting for the last 2 terms at least. The city is not in bad shape so much as it is in NO shape. It has no life and there is no mess but there is no not-mess either.

The one bright spot is the new CC-CC and that will go a long way to providing some momentum but that is all it is. In 18 months it will just be business as usual over there. The inagural year will have passed and the age of the people running the CC-CC guarantees nothing new will be done. That is really Charleston's problem, everyone in charge is OLD or worse, THINKS old. It is ok to be old so long as you do not succumb to the disease.

The mess of Charleston is the structure of government and thusly, the financial base. The city has pensioned itself into a death spiral. I get really tired of people telling me they worked hard for their pension, no one has put a dime into their pensions, they are 100% government supported benfits that never required the recipent to insert funds. The days of pensions are over and if I had the ability I would eliminate everyone of them. I will never be elected as a result.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:49 PM

1,822 posts, read 3,337,220 times
One thing I don’t get is how poor the concert lineup is at the CC-CC. And it seems to only get worse. There is virtually no live music scheduled there except for tired old Trans Siberian O. Big Sandy in Huntington has surpassed the CC-CC as the music hub for our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston