U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

100 posts, read 46,236 times

Advertisements

Will be heading down to Charleston next Saturday and spending three nights. Will be driving down from northern panhandle. Anything to see along the way? staying

Staying a couple of blocks from the capitol towards downtown. Anything good in this area? This is going to be more of an eating out and drinking type of trip. Will take in day time stuff as well but looking forward to some bars and restaurants. Will have a dog with me. German short haired pointer. Are there any bars or cafes with a patio or terrace that welcome dogs?

Plan to go take a look at Kanawha state park as it's close and if I don't get my little buddy out for a run everyday he will not let me have any peace.Any other good areas near Charleston where i can get a dog off of a leash on a run? I don't mean some dog park that has a little fenced area. I am guessing it shunting season and I will have to consider where I take him?

I see pics of a cute little historical district if I google images of Charleston. Anybody know where it is exactly? I am guessing it is downtown but could be wrong. I am staying on Virginia Street.

Also any unique places to shop for food to take home? For example I go to Wheeling once a month and shop at a local butcher Mikla meats and Great Mansion wines. Any one of a kind places in Charleston?

Don't like leaving my dog unattended too long but maybe there are some sights that don't take all day to see or museums? Pretty open to any suggestions on what to do on a lazy weekend after Thanksgiving.

What is the best pizza in town? does anywhere do a thin crust pizza like is common in the midwest? We get weird places here that sell square trays and don't melt the cheese on the top. New York style or thin crust is my favorite but will try anything. Not looking for goat cheese and kale gluten free. Greasy cheesy pepperoni for me.

Will be doing a Mexican one night as well. Any suggestions as to what is a good one in that area? Have a car for the day time to look around but looking to stay local and walking/Uber distance at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

367 posts, read 202,479 times
Pies and Pints for pizza. It’s in the heart of downtown. We have a ton of Mexican restaurants. They are mostly all clones of each other. For something a littke different checkout the websites for Mi Cocina De Amor and possibly Blacksheep Burritos. Coonskin Park is another option for your dog. Not sure about leash policies. I have a decent guess as to where you are staying. Checkout the site for Bluegrass Kitchen too because it will be close. Adelphia is a bar to look into downtown near Pies and Pints. Not sure where you can eat with a dog though?

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

5,002 posts, read 6,573,497 times
Hi there!

I am typing this on my phone so I can’t go into full tour guide mode. I will try to address your questions specifically.

Dog: Kanawha State Forrest would be a great place to let the dog off the leash if you trust your dog enough not to run off into the wilderness. Coonskin Park is also a great place with big open fields for a dog. It is just minutes from downtown off exit 1 of I-79. Charleston has several restaurants with patio seating, but this time of year they aren’t usually using them. I don’t know of any restaurants that would be pet friendly. The Capitol Market is pet friendly, and you should definitely check it out. It has specialized shops and food vendors. A lot of Appalachian themed items, but also businesses that sell gourmet chocolates, wine, sushi, etc... Taking the dog along the river on the Blvd would be a nice walk. You could easily walk to Haddad Riverfront Park or to Magic Island (not a real Island) from there (both on the river). Magic Island might be another place to let the dog run free. Winter is not a great time to enjoy those parks, but it’s better than keeping the dog in the hotel all day.

Things to check out: I mentioned the Capitol Market above and highly recommend it. Also check out the local businesses along Capitol Street, Hale Street, and parts of Summers and Quarrier Streets. Taylor Books is a unique/iconic bookstore on Capitol St. that has a coffee shop and art gallery. In their basement they have a Indy movie theater. Across the street from that is Ellen’s homemade ice cream. It’s a lil pricey, but worth it. Also on that street across from the library is a place called Niche on Capitol. They have a nice Boarshead Deli, but also a Axe throwing place called Axes and Ales. You can drink craft beer and throw axes, it’s actually really well done and fun. You could always check out the State Cultural Center at the Capitol Complex. It’s a free museum of state history and culture. They usually have special exhibits on display there. The Clay Center has a newly renovated planetarium that also doubles as an IMAX theater. They always have cool films there, and the center also has an art museum and science discovery area. If you really want to do something though, check their website for performances during your stay. The Clay Center is arguably the prime time performance venue in the state for top of the line acts and plays.

Some other cool place to check out would be the Shops at Bridge Road. There you can find locally owned shops and restaurants. I recommend Cafe Romeo’s and their gilato.

You will be very close to the Charleston Town Center Mall. It isn’t the mall it used to be, but it still has plenty of shopping within it. Some stores you can’t find anywhere else in the state. I urge you to use caution though because it is an urban mall with urban problems. Just in general be careful. I personally have never felt unsafe downtown, but as with many cities there is certainly shady characters around.

Pizza: If you’ve never been to a Pies and Pints, I recommend our local one. It’s located downtown on Capitol St. It was the second one ever and it the templet they used for their current business model. The pizza is wood fire oven and incredible IMO. Lola’s gets a lot of praise too, located on Bridge Road. Grazianos also on Capitol Street has good thin crust as well.

Mexican: Only two legit options here for you if you want something you can’t find anywhere else. Cozumel at Ashton Place, and Mi Cocina de Amor located in the Elk City district (not far from your hotel). Anything else is not worth it.

Uber: will be a helpful tool at your disposal. A one stop place I’d recommend checking out would be Kinship Good in Elk City District. They sell locally themed clothing and gifts. Quality stuff that is well priced. Close by to that is Mi Cocina de Amor. If you like burgers, also near by is a place owned by the owner of the Mexican restaurant called Gonzo Burger. I love it!!! There is also a coffee shop there called Void, a record store called Elk City, and a few other little businesses. Another place you could Uber to is a brand new Organic store called Spice of Life, which is located in Kanawha City (still apart of Charleston).

As for the bars, I wouldn’t be of much assistance. We do have a brewery downtown at Black Sheep. There is also a Wine Bar and restaurant called the Block which I hear good things about.

Some other restaurants I’d recommend

Leonora’s Italian / East End
Blue Grass Kitchen / East End
Tricky Fish / East End
Moxxee Coffee / East End
Sohos / Capital Market
Bricks and Barrels / Smith St.
Tidewater / Town Center
Chow Thai / Downtown
Swiftwater Cafe / Downtown
Rock City Bakery / Downtown
Bridge Toad Bistro / South Hills
Fusion Teriyaki Grill / Kanawha City
Pepperoni Grill / Kanawha City
Harding’s Family Restaurant / Mink Shoals

Hope this helped, and I hope you will enjoy your time in Chuck Town!

Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

That was a fantastic post. Thanks a lot for that I truly appreciate it.Good info on everything especially the places for the dog. I realize the parks might be on the cool side but that also means there is likely to not be anybody there. once again two great posts.

Tried to rep you Johnnada but have to spread some around first.

Last edited by lookingaround12345; Today at 12:32 AM..

Old Today, 06:26 AM

995 posts, read 1,676,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Hi there!

I am typing this on my phone so I can’t go into full tour guide mode. I will try to address your questions specifically.

Dog: Kanawha State Forrest would be a great place to let the dog off the leash if you trust your dog enough not to run off into the wilderness. Coonskin Park is also a great place with big open fields for a dog. It is just minutes from downtown off exit 1 of I-79. Charleston has several restaurants with patio seating, but this time of year they aren’t usually using them. I don’t know of any restaurants that would be pet friendly. The Capitol Market is pet friendly, and you should definitely check it out. It has specialized shops and food vendors. A lot of Appalachian themed items, but also businesses that sell gourmet chocolates, wine, sushi, etc... Taking the dog along the river on the Blvd would be a nice walk. You could easily walk to Haddad Riverfront Park or to Magic Island (not a real Island) from there (both on the river). Magic Island might be another place to let the dog run free. Winter is not a great time to enjoy those parks, but it’s better than keeping the dog in the hotel all day.

Things to check out: I mentioned the Capitol Market above and highly recommend it. Also check out the local businesses along Capitol Street, Hale Street, and parts of Summers and Quarrier Streets. Taylor Books is a unique/iconic bookstore on Capitol St. that has a coffee shop and art gallery. In their basement they have a Indy movie theater. Across the street from that is Ellen’s homemade ice cream. It’s a lil pricey, but worth it. Also on that street across from the library is a place called Niche on Capitol. They have a nice Boarshead Deli, but also a Axe throwing place called Axes and Ales. You can drink craft beer and throw axes, it’s actually really well done and fun. You could always check out the State Cultural Center at the Capitol Complex. It’s a free museum of state history and culture. They usually have special exhibits on display there. The Clay Center has a newly renovated planetarium that also doubles as an IMAX theater. They always have cool films there, and the center also has an art museum and science discovery area. If you really want to do something though, check their website for performances during your stay. The Clay Center is arguably the prime time performance venue in the state for top of the line acts and plays.

Some other cool place to check out would be the Shops at Bridge Road. There you can find locally owned shops and restaurants. I recommend Cafe Romeo’s and their gilato.

You will be very close to the Charleston Town Center Mall. It isn’t the mall it used to be, but it still has plenty of shopping within it. Some stores you can’t find anywhere else in the state. I urge you to use caution though because it is an urban mall with urban problems. Just in general be careful. I personally have never felt unsafe downtown, but as with many cities there is certainly shady characters around.

Pizza: If you’ve never been to a Pies and Pints, I recommend our local one. It’s located downtown on Capitol St. It was the second one ever and it the templet they used for their current business model. The pizza is wood fire oven and incredible IMO. Lola’s gets a lot of praise too, located on Bridge Road. Grazianos also on Capitol Street has good thin crust as well.

Mexican: Only two legit options here for you if you want something you can’t find anywhere else. Cozumel at Ashton Place, and Mi Cocina de Amor located in the Elk City district (not far from your hotel). Anything else is not worth it.

Uber: will be a helpful tool at your disposal. A one stop place I’d recommend checking out would be Kinship Good in Elk City District. They sell locally themed clothing and gifts. Quality stuff that is well priced. Close by to that is Mi Cocina de Amor. If you like burgers, also near by is a place owned by the owner of the Mexican restaurant called Gonzo Burger. I love it!!! There is also a coffee shop there called Void, a record store called Elk City, and a few other little businesses. Another place you could Uber to is a brand new Organic store called Spice of Life, which is located in Kanawha City (still apart of Charleston).

As for the bars, I wouldn’t be of much assistance. We do have a brewery downtown at Black Sheep. There is also a Wine Bar and restaurant called the Block which I hear good things about.

Some other restaurants I’d recommend

Leonora’s Italian / East End
Blue Grass Kitchen / East End
Tricky Fish / East End
Moxxee Coffee / East End
Sohos / Capital Market
Bricks and Barrels / Smith St.
Tidewater / Town Center
Chow Thai / Downtown
Swiftwater Cafe / Downtown
Rock City Bakery / Downtown
Bridge Toad Bistro / South Hills
Fusion Teriyaki Grill / Kanawha City
Pepperoni Grill / Kanawha City
Harding’s Family Restaurant / Mink Shoals

Hope this helped, and I hope you will enjoy your time in Chuck Town!
That's very impressive for being typed on a phone. Props to you and your (probably) sore thumbs

Old Today, 06:57 AM

10,395 posts, read 10,444,493 times
Let me echo what JohnNada and ChrisCross309 said. I think I know where you're staying too. Nice place. You are within walking distance of the Cultural Center at the Capitol Complex, and Tricky Fish is right across the street from Bluegrass Kitchen, also within walking distance. There is a little park on the Blvd. between Elizabeth and Ruffner Streets that you could walk your dog to. It's a little hidden gem in Charleston. There's a little dog park over on Washington Street and an AIDS Memorial Garden on Sidney Ave.

Pizza? Pies & Pints or Lola's. They are both great and unique pizzas. If you're looking for craft beer, Pies & Pints beats Lola's. (Pies & Pints started out in Fayetteville featuring beer from Bridge Brew Works.) Blacksheep also owns Bad Shepherd Brewery next door, so they sell beer brewed on the premises. Bricks & Barrels also has a large selection of good beers. The Capitol Market is a good place to buy local stuff.

One other place nobody has mentioned is the Charleston Bread Company. It's on Capitol Street near the Capitol Market. You could pick up some fresh, locally made bread goods to take up north with you.

If you're out driving around, you might want to go to South Charleston and see the second biggest Indian Mound in West Virginia. (You've probably already seen the biggest one.) You might also like seeing the Wine Cellars Park in Dunbar. I think you dog would like it there too. (Rumor has it that the Wine Cellars were used to run bootleg whiskey during Prohibition. I can't prove it, but it's believable.)

Old Today, 01:53 PM

I haven't seen the largest Indian mounds yet. I might check them out on the way down. I just moved to the area and have seen a bit of the state but the back roads are endless. So far I have loved living here and plan to do quite a bit of touring with in the state. I like the state enough that I make the effort to do most of my road trips with in the state and shop at local stores more than I would elsewhere.

Old Today, 03:52 PM

5,002 posts, read 6,573,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
That's very impressive for being typed on a phone. Props to you and your (probably) sore thumbs
Haha thanks

Thumbs are ok, eyes from straining not as much.

Old Today, 05:41 PM

Thanks again. We have a great page of information for anybody considering a visit to Charleston. Maybe a little bit focused on my pooch but I would welcome others looking to visit to ask any other questions they may have. Every member was able to contribute something to it that was actually interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or