U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 05:03 AM

416 posts, read 230,112 times

Advertisements

This comes straight out of left-field but some positive news.

Someone is building a new "T-Rex Science Center" in the old Purity Bakery building.

"The $5 million project will feature a prehistoric walk with 18 full dinosaur replicas, hundreds of fossils an arcade and theater."

https://wchstv.com/news/local/ground...-in-charleston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 06:02 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,716,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
This comes straight out of left-field but some positive news.

Someone is building a new "T-Rex Science Center" in the old Purity Bakery building.

"The $5 million project will feature a prehistoric walk with 18 full dinosaur replicas, hundreds of fossils an arcade and theater."

https://wchstv.com/news/local/ground...-in-charleston
It's unique, educational and fills an empty building.

I like it!

Old 01-26-2019, 09:51 AM

5,031 posts, read 6,673,462 times
Wow that is crazy! You're not in left field anymore at this point.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:14 AM

1,824 posts, read 3,348,794 times
Interesting indeed. It should be a nice draw. As someone with two very curious elementary students, they will love this.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:49 AM

I was also at the Hunting and Fishing show yesterday. In part to see the new renovations and additions.

Anyhow they are moving forward fast with basically a southern version of French Creek but with indoor exhibits too like an aquarium. This will be about 10 miles south of Charleston on Corridor G. It will be very nice and give people with kids something else to do. You can only handle so much Clay Center and Skyzone.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:15 AM

671 posts, read 402,830 times
Quote:
I was also at the Hunting and Fishing show yesterday. In part to see the new renovations and additions.

Anyhow they are moving forward fast with basically a southern version of French Creek but with indoor exhibits too like an aquarium. This will be about 10 miles south of Charleston on Corridor G. It will be very nice and give people with kids something else to do. You can only handle so much Clay Center and Skyzone.

I am curious John. Where did you park? What were your impressions of the CC-CC? Did you go to the mall or anything else in the area?

Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 PM

Parked in the mall and walked over. My first thought was why did they put all this money into the renovation and not make a skybridge or covered walkway in? A walkway from the mall into the civic center may have been pricey and might have ended up bringing over riff-raff but some type of covering to keep you dry walking between both is needed.

The ticketing area is a bit small. I could see this getting real congested easily and walking from that to the big convention/conference room is in a long and tight hallway. Something must have let out and we encountered a lot of people leaving and it was really cramped walking against the flow of people. A little odd.

The renovations are nice. We toured the entire place. The big glass enclosure overlooking the Elk River is very neat. There are a lot of meeting rooms. I would have liked to have seen inside the arena to see if they did anything to that.

It's nice. It's new. It's a lot like other convention centers that I've been too. I don't know if that in itself is enough to attract more convention business.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:57 PM

671 posts, read 402,830 times
Quote:
Parked in the mall and walked over. My first thought was why did they put all this money into the renovation and not make a skybridge or covered walkway in? A walkway from the mall into the civic center may have been pricey and might have ended up bringing over riff-raff but some type of covering to keep you dry walking between both is needed.

The ticketing area is a bit small. I could see this getting real congested easily and walking from that to the big convention/conference room is in a long and tight hallway. Something must have let out and we encountered a lot of people leaving and it was really cramped walking against the flow of people. A little odd.

The renovations are nice. We toured the entire place. The big glass enclosure overlooking the Elk River is very neat. There are a lot of meeting rooms. I would have liked to have seen inside the arena to see if they did anything to that.

It's nice. It's new. It's a lot like other convention centers that I've been too. I don't know if that in itself is enough to attract more convention business.

I think an enclosed skywalk is totally warranted and just simple common sense and I really can't think of a reason why it was not part of the plan. At the time the CC-CC plans were drawn up, CTC was not in receivership. It may have been that backroom conversations knew it was headed that way and that nixed the idea of a enclosed skywalk, but publically there was no hint of that issue until it happened.

It could happen now and I think it is something that the new owners, US Bank, Mayor Good win and CURA could come to an agreement. The cost would not be excessive and the current design of the main lobby makes such an addition a seemingly simple add on. There would be the problem in moving Hollister from the second level of CTC, but they have options for relocation or the may be wanting to leave the mall for now. Either way, not a loss when we consider access and convenience we get for a skywalk.

So, you parked in the mall and walked over. I am once curious about your experience and impression in the CTC parking garage. Cris made a rather strong statement about the state and safety of the parking garages in another thread and wondered about your impression.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:06 PM

The CTC parking garage needs a good cleaning and if there were some way to brighten it up and make it more inviting then that needs to be done. We nearly tripped over a stack of wood molding and trim that was piled up in the parking spot nearest the entrance on the 3rd floor. I believe it is a staging area for the American Eagle store renovation. It is also a lawsuit waiting to happen. Surely they could have piled this somewhere else.

I don't really like the garage. It is necessary. But there needs to be something to make it feel less subterranean and nuclear bunkerish. It has the look and feel of a place in a video game where mutant zombies are lurking behind every vehicle you pass on your way to the door.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:45 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,322,793 times
I agree. If the current parking garages are kept, they need cleaned, painted and to have new brighter lights installed. Other than being cheap with the checkbook, there is no reason why they should still look the way they do.

My first preference is to have them replaced, IF the CTC is going to stick around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston