U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM

5,034 posts, read 6,677,960 times

Advertisements

There is tremendous negative news that seems to manifest everyday in our capital city; whether that is businesses closing their doors, crime, homelessness, or political bantering. The city is losing population, businesses are relocating or closing there Charleston locations, the Town Center is on life support, and economic development is almost non-existent. Charleston is home to countless empty buildings, abandoned homes, and poorly zoned lots that either sit empty or are being used improperly.

With that being said, Charleston is under new leadership with Mayor Goodwin. I don't agree with all she brings to the table, but one thing I do know is that her background is suited for marketing Charleston and setting a vision for what could be. I don't think she will have an answer for all of the city's problems. I am at least willing to give her the chance she deserves.

Let's look at some of the positives that lend themselves to progress, re-development, and new development.

1. New/Expanded Convention and Coliseum - Shinny new asset in the city's arsenal. Potential to attract larger and bigger named events to the city. Bringing people downtown to stay in the hotels, eat in the restaurants, shop in the stores, and experience what Chucktown has to offer. There is potential for a new high-rise convention hotel that would also spur progress.

2. Stable Economic Drivers - I am referring to the state government, federal government, local universities and healthcare employment centers here in Charleston. These will continue to play a part in keeping the city's head above water. I don't necessarily see growth of government a good thing, but healthcare should be a priority. Our hospitals need to offer more, modernize their facilities, and hire the best available staff. Our local colleges need to be involved in training and working alongside the hospitals in creating quality talent pool. Our local schools (UC/State/BV/etc...) need to be involved as well in drawing young people to the city and making this an attractive place to do business. UC alone could do wonders for this city if it could continue to grow its enrollment and expand its course selection.

3. Local Business Boom - Something that continues to defy the economy of the city is the fact that small business in Charleston is on the upswing. Just look at Elk City which is in a renaissance of its own. Kanawha City also seems to stay busy with new businesses. I believe that Mayor Goodwin will excel in the department of creating an environment for small business. Breweries, coffee shops, print shops, and fast casual dining options are all part of the equation in bringing people back to the city.

4. Gateway to a soon to be National Park - Charleston needs to capitalize on the fact the the NRG is a eastern recreation hub. Goodwin needs to market the city as that, and work alongside Fayette County to spur tourism.

5. Re-surging national economy - Why do we accept the notion that we have to be last place. The rest of the nation seems to be booming, so why can't we implement policy that attracts instead of repels. The state gov is to blame for some of our problems, but not all of them. Look at the EP which is getting ready to open a huge Proctor and Gamble facility. Things can happen here, and the US is in growth mode.

Just some thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:09 AM

420 posts, read 231,882 times
All we need is a catalyst. Not sure what that will be. It could be the new mayor maybe. One thing that she does seem to have is energy and that has been lacking in city hall for quite some time. Mayor Jones was good from a fiscal angle for the city government. But with the economic crisis of 2008 and the downturn in coal he was probably the worst type of mayor a city in crisis needed. I have no idea of what to think about Goodwin so right now it’s an open slate and I hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston