Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 02:50 PM

926 posts, read 827,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Given the political climate of the state, I think any comeback will take decades.
I disagree, at least in the case of Huntington. Even towns in Cabell County are seeing growth, from what I'm told, both Barboursville and Milton are actually booming, along with Putnam County seeing moderate growth. Barboursville alone grew by 24.5% from 2000-2010, which is very impressive, and it still continues to grow.

The area is definitely in decline, but there are prosperous communities that can be found relatively easily within the Huntington area, specifically on the WV side.

Charleston is in a much worse situation, which I think is honestly mostly due to the land situation. If you ask me, relatively flat land is the sole reason that areas like Morgantown and Martinsburg are growing, you'd be surprised how many Americans desire to live in WV.

I think it would make sense for Charleston and Huntington airports to consolidate, I also think Cabell County (and Monongalia County while we're at it) should also consolidate with Huntington & Morgantown for tax and commercial purposes. The annexation laws in the state are absolutely awful, and admittedly, that is one think that severely limits growth potential in the state. Morgantown for example (which I mention because it's close to Pittsburgh area), looks absolutely awful due to the limit on city boundaries. Surrounding small towns of like 500 people are home to the county's largest tax revenues simply because they have flatter land making it convenient for major commercial projects and corporate offices.

Kind of off topic, but I also foresee Fayette County booming within this decade, similar to how Oak Hill is. Love driving down US-19 and now that there is a NP present, I can imagine it will become a hot spot for tourism, vacation homes, and peaceful living.

Although WV has been losing population for a while, it's not at the very bottom of the barrel, and is still doing better than states like IL, NY, CT, and now CA.

Last edited by Archer705; 01-31-2021 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 04:43 AM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
Charleston without a new catalyst for growth is doomed to stay on its same downward trajectory. There are so many factors working against it right now that it's going to have to hit bottom. I'm just not sure where that bottom is or how long it takes to get there. It's a city without a focus or a plan and been that way for decades.

As for a regional airport that is something that likely will never happen. The first attempt in the 1960's was blocked by Charleston. It would have been interesting if that had been built. It would have taken massive amounts of land out in Putnam Co. I've wondered where all of that housing would have been built instead since flat land is pretty rare around here. On the 1990's attempt corrupt politicians from west of Charleston tried a last minute swindle and ruined it that time. Huntington, Charleston and Parkersburg all 3 agreed to build it in north Putnam. I-77 was going to have a corridor put in through that area to link to 64 west. It had potential to be something but when the politicians tried that last-minute deal to put it in Lincoln Co that ended it for Parkersburg and it ticked off the Kanawha faction and that doomed it.

Speaking of Putnam and flat land. It's almost entirely used up now. There are some decent sized parcels here and there but for the most part I think Putnam is built up unless they start using hilltops or go up along 35.

To me at least Huntington and Cabell do have a different vibe than Charleston. There's more energy there. Coming from Charleston though that might not be saying much. But there are pockets of growth and development. We just don't see anything like in Charleston so it appears magical to us.

Fayette is a whole other thing. I love it there. Fayetteville in particular is a nice little place and it has an energy all it's own too. We have looked at houses there. The problem for us and why we don't live there comes down to education and healthcare. We have kids and the schools there are not that great and not supported well by the community. I know people that live there and work in Charleston who have apartments in Charleston so their kids can go to school here.

Two we have medical needs and living there makes that a problem. Oak Hill doesn't have what we need. Beckley is just sort of ok but for the most part when you get sick in Fayette Co or have pressing medical needs you are going to Charleston or Morgantown. It's my opinion of course but schools and healthcare limit the growth potential for that area.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:04 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
I agree about flat land being an issue that has plagued Charleston. There was no room to grow, and therefore no reason for business to locate here. As a result, we have a metro area that stretches well into Putnam County (both along the Kanawha River and obviously Teays Valley) all the way up the Kanawha (south) to places like Cedar Grove. That is a long distance for people to feel connected to the primary city. As a result, there isn't a unity that comes from living in this metro. People in Teays Valley have very little in common with people that like in Elkview or Marmet. If the city was able to grow like most other cities (think spoke and wheel), then maybe the city of Charleston would have a greater influence on the region. Just a thought.

With all that being said, other cities that found ways to deal with rugged topography. Pittsburgh has managed to densify in its flat areas as well as build on its hills and hillsides. Subdivisions are the easiest type of development to build on our hills. What Charleston missed out on what the potential to be a regional distribution hub. Think about it, there's 3 interstates that come through here and Charleston is within 3-6 hours from a huge chunk or the nation's population. If Charleston had flat land, it would have been a no brainer, with access to the Midwest, Mid Atlantic, Northeast, and Southeast.

Charleston will never be "the next Ashville" but it still has potential. It takes leadership, interested inventors, and a much better marketing campaign. Charleston can become something unique under the right economic climate.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:41 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I disagree, at least in the case of Huntington. Even towns in Cabell County are seeing growth, from what I'm told, both Barboursville and Milton are actually booming, along with Putnam County seeing moderate growth. Barboursville alone grew by 24.5% from 2000-2010, which is very impressive, and it still continues to grow.

The area is definitely in decline, but there are prosperous communities that can be found relatively easily within the Huntington area, specifically on the WV side.

Charleston is in a much worse situation, which I think is honestly mostly due to the land situation. If you ask me, relatively flat land is the sole reason that areas like Morgantown and Martinsburg are growing, you'd be surprised how many Americans desire to live in WV.

I think it would make sense for Charleston and Huntington airports to consolidate, I also think Cabell County (and Monongalia County while we're at it) should also consolidate with Huntington & Morgantown for tax and commercial purposes. The annexation laws in the state are absolutely awful, and admittedly, that is one think that severely limits growth potential in the state. Morgantown for example (which I mention because it's close to Pittsburgh area), looks absolutely awful due to the limit on city boundaries. Surrounding small towns of like 500 people are home to the county's largest tax revenues simply because they have flatter land making it convenient for major commercial projects and corporate offices.

Kind of off topic, but I also foresee Fayette County booming within this decade, similar to how Oak Hill is. Love driving down US-19 and now that there is a NP present, I can imagine it will become a hot spot for tourism, vacation homes, and peaceful living.

Although WV has been losing population for a while, it's not at the very bottom of the barrel, and is still doing better than states like IL, NY, CT, and now CA.
I am not really sure I would say Cabell is 'booming' - the county's population has dropped from around 97k to around 92k in just this decade according to Census data. Huntington is still losing population (as is Charleston). It's not really 'growth' if you're just moving people from one part of the county to another. That's why it's always been interesting when people talk about all the growth in Putnam County- they did a study of it back in the day based on IRS data and discovered that something like 80% of the growth there in the 90s was simply people moving over from Kanawha County. Now it seems Cabell is having more of an influence although according to the census even Putnam posted very small drops in the past two years. It's still up by about 1k people since 2010 but when you consider it added about 10k people in the 90s alone, that is a dramatic slowdown.

I will never understand the stupidity of not building the 'Midway' airport in Teays Valley. Charleston and Huntington squabbling for years in the 1960s and not coming to an agreement literally resulted in some of the most prime flat buildable land in the area be bulldozed into cookie cutter housing developments.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:21 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I am not really sure I would say Cabell is 'booming' - the county's population has dropped from around 97k to around 92k in just this decade according to Census data. Huntington is still losing population (as is Charleston). It's not really 'growth' if you're just moving people from one part of the county to another. That's why it's always been interesting when people talk about all the growth in Putnam County- they did a study of it back in the day based on IRS data and discovered that something like 80% of the growth there in the 90s was simply people moving over from Kanawha County. Now it seems Cabell is having more of an influence although according to the census even Putnam posted very small drops in the past two years. It's still up by about 1k people since 2010 but when you consider it added about 10k people in the 90s alone, that is a dramatic slowdown.

I will never understand the stupidity of not building the 'Midway' airport in Teays Valley. Charleston and Huntington squabbling for years in the 1960s and not coming to an agreement literally resulted in some of the most prime flat buildable land in the area be bulldozed into cookie cutter housing developments.
It is sad that the bigger airport between the two cities never took place, but at least there is a lot of interest at Yeager Airport now towards the future. They know that in order to get bigger planes they need more runway, so there is serious talk of expanding it by over 1,000 feet. They'd fill in the valley at Coonskin, which will cut off part of the park, but might open up the other side for a small lake. The terminal at Yeager isn't world class by any stretch of the imagination, but it is at least up to date. Very very wishful thinking, but it would be cool to see some like of transit link between the airport and downtown. The airport is so close to downtown, that it almost seems foolish to not have something that will bring business travelers right into the city where the hotels and convention center are. That would really boost the perception of the city as a destination. I do realize that is a long shot, but I can dream can't I.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:22 AM

75 posts, read 75,100 times
Quote:
I think the situations between the two communities you are comparing to Charleston are in some ways similar to each other, and in some ways different. Both have proximity to large population concentration areas, making growth much more likely. In Morgantown's case, they have a relatively youthful and well educated population, a well known and supported comprehensive university, and a very well lead healthcare apparatus that is in growth mode, along with a growing, well established research community. I know those are the primary things making that area attractive to us.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:49 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
It is sad that the bigger airport between the two cities never took place, but at least there is a lot of interest at Yeager Airport now towards the future. They know that in order to get bigger planes they need more runway, so there is serious talk of expanding it by over 1,000 feet. They'd fill in the valley at Coonskin, which will cut off part of the park, but might open up the other side for a small lake. The terminal at Yeager isn't world class by any stretch of the imagination, but it is at least up to date. Very very wishful thinking, but it would be cool to see some like of transit link between the airport and downtown. The airport is so close to downtown, that it almost seems foolish to not have something that will bring business travelers right into the city where the hotels and convention center are. That would really boost the perception of the city as a destination. I do realize that is a long shot, but I can dream can't I.
You do bring up a good point- Yeager does get you to all the major close by hubs with the exception of New York City but it has Charlotte, Atlanta, DC, Chicago covered and from those you can fly anywhere. And leisure destinations like Orlando and Myrtle Beach. It's a lot better than some airports I've seen in similar sized cities!

Old 02-02-2021, 04:26 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,139 times
Quote:

The growth in Barboursville is no where near the 24.5% figure from over a decade ago. I reside closer to Milton than Barboursville, and if what I've been seeing in Milton over the past several years is "booming", then well, I would hate to see what a down trend looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston