Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 09:44 PM

175 posts, read 281,775 times

Advertisements

Just something I've been wondering about. Charleston and Asheville, NC share a lot in common. Both are historic, southern, Appalachian cities, have a similar population, with some pretty interesting architecture and scenic mountain views. However, Asheville is one of the fastest-growing cities in the South, has a booming economy, is very liberal, and has a "hipster" and "artsy" culture. It went from a Republican, impoverished and redneck city like Charleston to someplace cosmopolitan and hip (while still pretty affordable) over the past 15-20 years or so.

So, could Charleston follow the same path as Asheville? Could it go from poor, Republican and gritty to liberal and hip? In my view, it has the bones to become like Asheville. The architecture of Charleston is pretty nice compared to other areas; there are many charming old homes as well as other houses with insane mountain views. The taxes/cost of living in WV are very low just like in NC, which can spur the hipsters and artsy types to move from expensive places like Austin or Durham or Nashville. The downtown is very nice and being that there are a lot of abandoned storefronts, there is much potential for them to be renovated and become kombucha bars and places of that sort. There is also, like Asheville, a lot of outdoor/nature opportunities in Charleston, which could lure in the outdoorsy types as well. Things in Charleston can only go one way: up. So, could Charleston become the next Asheville? If so, what would it take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 06:51 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
Just something I've been wondering about. Charleston and Asheville, NC share a lot in common. Both are historic, southern, Appalachian cities, have a similar population, with some pretty interesting architecture and scenic mountain views. However, Asheville is one of the fastest-growing cities in the South, has a booming economy, is very liberal, and has a "hipster" and "artsy" culture. It went from a Republican, impoverished and redneck city like Charleston to someplace cosmopolitan and hip (while still pretty affordable) over the past 15-20 years or so.

So, could Charleston follow the same path as Asheville? Could it go from poor, Republican and gritty to liberal and hip? In my view, it has the bones to become like Asheville. The architecture of Charleston is pretty nice compared to other areas; there are many charming old homes as well as other houses with insane mountain views. The taxes/cost of living in WV are very low just like in NC, which can spur the hipsters and artsy types to move from expensive places like Austin or Durham or Nashville. The downtown is very nice and being that there are a lot of abandoned storefronts, there is much potential for them to be renovated and become kombucha bars and places of that sort. There is also, like Asheville, a lot of outdoor/nature opportunities in Charleston, which could lure in the outdoorsy types as well. Things in Charleston can only go one way: up. So, could Charleston become the next Asheville? If so, what would it take?
Not really trying to get into politics, but you assume that just because Charleston has issues that it is a Republican problem. This state, and especially Charleston the largest city and capital, were majority Democrat for decades. Only in recent years have Republicans established themselves as the primer party. You can attribute many of the problems in Charleston to liberal policies. However, Charleston'c problems stem from more than just which political party is in office. The former mayor was a liberal republican, so go figure that one out. Across the nation there's significant amounts of examples where city's have struggled under liberal leadership. And on the other hand, there is significant evidence that city's can flourish under Republican leadership. I only say that to show you that just because Asheville has success, you cannot accredit that to a political party.

I will say that liberals tend to do tourism and artsy small business models a lot better than conservatives. Conservatives tend to run businesses overall in a more sustainable way. Both sides can learn from each other in that regard.

We hope to prosper here like Asheville has, but there is a lot of factors at play in both cities that make them unique and not as similar as you think. Charleston's history is rooted in industry. The economy here was built off the back of the chemical, salt, coal, and other industries. Asheville was always a mountain town with little industry in comparison to here. Charleston has access to the mountains, but I wouldn't say that we have the abundance of tourism potential in that regard that Asheville has. We are only 45 mins from the start of the New River, and that is a huge asset, but Asheville has major tourist stops right around town. That atmosphere has brought visitors in, which has led to a renaissance of sorts for them. Those factors have led to an environment desirable for young people and retirees alike to move there. Charleston on the other hand was an established hub for the chemical industry for years and years and has built a reputation as a gritty industrial city. That reputation has not helped attract tourism to the city. In recent years we have had a significant uptick in local small businesses aimed at drawing in tourism and an artsy culture. It is nowhere near the scale of places like Asheville, Burlington, Lancaster, or even Roanoke VA.

What Charleston needs more than anything is good paying jobs from tech firms or from the re-surging small manufacturing industry. Creating an environment suitable for attracting good paying businesses should be the main concern, followed up with improving the small business scene downtown downtown. Also, promoting Charleston as an affordable and trendy place to live for young people and families.

Charleston doesn't need to be Asheville, but it needs to be something unique. Capitalizing on the music and art culture of Appalachia, and designating itself as the Appalachian regions cultural hub. Those things need to be supported by a growing economy.

Last edited by Chriscross309; 02-23-2020 at 07:17 AM..

Old 02-23-2020, 10:39 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
OP: The answer is anything is possible but the two aren't really as similar as you describe. Charleston was always more of an industrial town. There have always been plenty of other non-industry trades with the statehouse and banking but at the end of the day it was largely about manufacturing and even mining on the outskirts. Asheville was never an industrial town and while it had some regional banking, etc it was always more tourist driven. Many mountain activities are right in or next door to Asheville - Charleston is surrounded by mountains but most if not all tourist related activities are a solid hours drive to the South. I will say Charleston does have the unique benefit of having three interstate highways converging on the city- something few cities of similar size in America have. I agree with Chris above in that Roanoke, Virginia is more likely to be another Asheville versus Charleston.

Chris has the best ideas above regarding what Charleston needs to focus on going forward: stabilizing the economy and capitalizing on the local music/ arts/ cultural scene. There is a lot of potential there- and I hope it succeeds but as always in WV, tribal politics tend to get in the way!

Old 02-25-2020, 09:55 AM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
To attract/retain young people there has to be some cultural draw (good restaurants, breweries, nightlife, etc). I don't think it's fair to necessarily aspire to be Asheville (a top 3 food/beer destination in the USA), but to at least approach the median value of young hip vibe would do wonders to stop the brain drain. It would create jobs/diversify the economy - but WV natives would have to be willing to do those jobs.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:50 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I don't foresee Charleston becoming "the next Asheville". As has already been said Roanoke, VA has the best potential to become "the next Asheville". Maybe at some point far in the future Charleston could then become "the next Roanoke".

I will say that Charleston NOT being "the next Asheville" could be a blessing in disguise for BUDGET travelers looking for a nice small city in the mountains that's an AFFORDABLE getaway/escape.

For example, we live in Pittsburgh and are budget-conscious (we also earn Appalachian salaries up here after all). I have long been curious about taking a weekend getaway to Charleston but am waiting until I get word that the WV State Capitol is no longer under renovation because I wouldn't want a tour and/or potential photo-ops to be marred by that.

I will say West Virginia (as a state) has really pumped up their tourism advertising in Pittsburgh in recent years. We see tourism promotion billboards and commercials for WV constantly.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:15 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I recently spent a weekend in Charleston. I don't see the Asheville potential there.

One thing to keep in mind is that Asheville has historically attracted a lot of out of region wealth and attention. The Biltmore wasn't built by money earned locally in Asheville. The western NC region has always been kind of a playground for wealthy Northeasterners and regional residents looking for summer homes at elevation.

Asheville also happens to be in a much more accessible location. Asheville is a relatively short drive from Greenville, SC, the NC Triad region, and metro Charlotte. There aren't any population centers like that near Charleston. Asheville's airport also seems to go to a lot more places and is better connected.

Asheville has gotten into a positive feedback loop. The craft beer industry there was kind of right place, right time with the explosion of craft beer nationally. Because of the out of area money, Asheville has been able to do far better than a city its size should in terms of dining, culture, and nightlife. I live about an hour and a half from Asheville, and Asheville will often get big name concerts that larger cities like Knoxville, TN may not get. The bohemian scene has been there for years - word gets out that it has that lifestyle, which attracts more like-minded people, who then start their own businesses, further enhancing the vibe, etc.

With Asheville's "better tier" of dining and shopping, it's then become a bit of a cultural/shopping hub for east TN and large swathes of WNC. I'm in Asheville about every other weekend and spend a lot of time and money there.

Charleston needs people to take those initial risks to get the wheels of gentrification spinning. Once that happens, it has to be able to sell itself as a lower cost alternative to places like Asheville, and that means some base level of economy - however, keep in mind that a lot of those kinds of people are job creators.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:09 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't foresee Charleston becoming "the next Asheville". As has already been said Roanoke, VA has the best potential to become "the next Asheville". Maybe at some point far in the future Charleston could then become "the next Roanoke". .
Roanoke has been compared to Asheville and that comparison has been made due to the mountains, rivers and geopolitical area that attracts people in search of outdoor activities. Roanoke has recently won a Silver award for its incredible biking trails. This award is international and was given by IMBA and it’s an outstanding classification for the Blue Ridge Area. Virginia’s Blue Ridge in now an official IMBA Silver-Ride Center staking our claim as “America’s East Coast Mountain Biking Capital”

Old 03-01-2020, 11:24 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't foresee Charleston becoming "the next Asheville". As has already been said Roanoke, VA has the best potential to become "the next Asheville". Maybe at some point far in the future Charleston could then become "the next Roanoke".

I will say that Charleston NOT being "the next Asheville" could be a blessing in disguise for BUDGET travelers looking for a nice small city in the mountains that's an AFFORDABLE getaway/escape.

For example, we live in Pittsburgh and are budget-conscious (we also earn Appalachian salaries up here after all). I have long been curious about taking a weekend getaway to Charleston but am waiting until I get word that the WV State Capitol is no longer under renovation because I wouldn't want a tour and/or potential photo-ops to be marred by that.

I will say West Virginia (as a state) has really pumped up their tourism advertising in Pittsburgh in recent years. We see tourism promotion billboards and commercials for WV constantly.
I know you think we don’t have a lot in common, but West Virginia seems to hold a special place with you as it does me. Have you ever stayed in or near Deep Creek Lake Maryland. I know you like lots of snow. That area along with the laurel highlands and Preston county WV is in the Allegheny Mountains getting lake effect and upslope snow.

Anyways alpine lake resort is a good budget getaway in Preston County, WV right near the MD and about 15 miles west of deep creek. It is cheaper to rent there and has good access to deep creek and Davis wv.

https://www.alpinelake.com/

Old 04-22-2020, 08:58 AM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
It appears WV will be able to re-open on the early side. You may get your wish about becoming a travel destination, at least for a few weeks.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:25 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
The problem with being the "next" anything is that the original is usually still around and filling that niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston