Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2021, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,797 times

Advertisements

So I’m currently working at a restaurant. I’ve worked there for 5 months but recently I’ve accepted a supervisor role, and then regretted it almost immediately. When running shift there are nights that I’m constantly getting calls from my boss and the owners to send more people home bc labor is too high.. I’ve been pretty confused about that though because we stay extremely busy and there’s only a handful of us there at a time. . until my boss left his weekly time slip by the computer one day and I realized that my general manager (who is paid hourly, he is not salary) will stay on the clock until he is clocked out automatically by our computer systems at 3 am. He schedules himself from 9-5 but he leaves at 2:30-3pm. So 3pm to 3 am.... for 12 hours he’s getting paid when he’s not there, plus he’s paid about three to four times what the regular workers are making (he is loud about how much he makes) and yes this is bad but curiosity got the better of me and I printed his time card for the last 3 pay periods...he’s done that on average 5 times each 2-week pay period... and his times have not been adjusted. .he literally gets overtime when he’s not even there part time. and it wouldn’t even be a big deal, except for 1, I clock out and work off the clock about an hour or two on the shifts that I’m supervising while my boss and the owners are calling me because labor is so high. These are days that my boss is still clocked in, yet not there. I work off the clock because usually I’ve already had to send one or two people home but it’s too busy to actually even send anyone home, and I’m screwing myself less by just working off the clock as opposed to sending someone else home and being that much more short-staffed. And for 2, I’ve had my job threatened recently. I don’t particularly even care for this job, I literally started working here as a favor to a friend who worked here..... But as much as I don’t care for the job, I put 100% into it, because it’s my job. I don’t appreciate being threatened or bullied around, but I’m at a stand still of what to do. Should I just resign and say to hell with this or should I let the owners know what he’s doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 06:30 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
"Hey boss, You want to check this ? I'm not sure if you've approved this."

Get your ducks in a row before bringing it up. By that I mean get print outs for the time sheets in question and have them in hand when talking to the owners.
Good luck !

Old 06-12-2021, 09:23 PM

41 posts, read 33,702 times
It isn't a good idea to be the office rat. There is usually no way to gain from that scenario.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,797 times
The only thing I’m trying to gain is an adequately-staffed shift.... and to actually be able to stay clocked in for all the hours I’m working.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:38 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
You could contact the state Department of Labor, specifically the Wage and Hour division. Ask them if it is legal for people to be working off the clock. Maybe they could do a random audit and find people clocked out and still working.

If somebody gets hurt after clocking out but still working, the Workers Compensation lawyers are going to make a lot of money arguing about whether the employee is entitled to coverage for injuries sustained while working off the clock.

It's possible the federal government may also be interested, whether the Dept. of Labor, or the IRS.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:19 AM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
The situation has to be fixed. The owner doesn't know why you aren't making labor and the manager is not only stealing but by making other shifts short-handed jeopardizing the entire restaurant. Be tactful and have facts printed and in hand when you approach the owner. Contacting state officials probably would also get you and the owner in trouble even though you are just trying to help and the owner doesn't know. The manager will be fired but he should be. He is causing other shifts to run poorly and he obviously doesn't care about anyone but himself. Restaurants have a hard enough time making it now and they have to be run ethically and like a finely oiled machine and you owe it to yourself, the owner, and other employees to expose the manager. Good luck!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2021, 09:30 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Gap View Post
It isn't a good idea to be the office rat. There is usually no way to gain from that scenario.
This is known as "Time Theft" and it can be a serious drain on a business' budget. Uncovering internal fraud can mean the difference between closing the place down and remaining open for business. The real "rat" is the one commiting fraud and the consequences are far reaching. As shown here by the decision to cut hours and reduce staffing. I'd report it as soon as I encountered it. The job you save could be your own.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:45 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyana.Mason View Post
The only thing I’m trying to gain is an adequately-staffed shift.... and to actually be able to stay clocked in for all the hours I’m working.
Then gather and present your evidence with this in mind. Demonstrate why the time stealer is creating that situation and what will fix the problem. It won't appear to be one employee ratting on another, but a concern about the business itself.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:36 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Aside from the owner of the restaurant, why would anyone else care? If you want to contact him, find another job first. He may be in on it too. IMO you're foolish to clock out and continue to work.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:24 PM

41 posts, read 33,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Aside from the owner of the restaurant, why would anyone else care? If you want to contact him, find another job first. He may be in on it too. IMO you're foolish to clock out and continue to work.
Bingo. On both counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston