U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-07-2008, 08:54 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,257,072 times
Default What do YOU love about Charleston?

This probably isn't worth my creating a new thread (or maybe it is) but here goes. My views regarding Charleston are often not well received on this forum because they are usually different than other frequent posters. A fellow city-data member, who shall remain anonymous, has informed me that I've never said what I like about Charleston. I will share my list and I welcome others to share along. Here goes...

DRUMROLL PLEASE...
-my family/friends that still live in the area

-the many memories i have from growing up in town, a few worth mentioning would be..going to Rock Lake, the mall arcade (apparently they took it out), the Regatta, Alley Cats games, romping around on the state capitol grounds, 3 am meals at Southern Kitchen, boating on the Kanawha River, high school football games at Laidley, visiting Sunrise Musuem, and Coonskin Park.

-in general....mountain scenery, friendly people, being able to drive around on a saturday afternoon without getting stuck in a 20 mile traffic jam, the fact that the wilderness is a quick (and traffic free) drive away, slaw on hotdogs, sweet tea, taylor books and their delicious coffee brews, cheap beer at any number of local watering holes, the view of the city from Fort Hill, local obsession with high school football, and of course, always being able to run into someone you know.

There, I did it. That is my list and I'm sticking to it. Feel free to share your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-08-2008, 01:34 AM

1,936 posts, read 3,448,505 times
I hear the optimism just flowing out.. lol

But I am proud of you

Unread 09-08-2008, 06:00 AM

246 posts, read 531,381 times
Gun friendly, lots of places for me to ride my mountain bike.

Unread 09-09-2008, 05:42 AM

11,970 posts, read 6,965,404 times
harborlady<--- the fellow blogger not needing anonymity.
Glad you did start this thread Mtneer. These are your roots. I'd say charleston did something right.

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere, add a few, and yes, this is only the sunny side of the street.
-I love the gracious architecture along kanawha blvd.

-The river walk is a great place to let your mind wander.

-the regatta

-the rib fest (carolina was my fave)

-my comical moose brothers who've chivalrously volunteered as personal body guards against lecherous old men, some or which ARE lecherous themselves (but funny just the same)

-the moose lodge boathouse commute

-my mother has no excuse not to visit out of fear of flying because amtrack and greyhound come here, and I get to guilt her something awful if she tries to force me to drive through Pa for christmas.

-fireworks seemed like they were every weekend all summer long

-anywhere I need to be, a hop skip on the interstate I'm there. No traffic.

-I can drive in any direction from where I am and run into something of interest to me.

- WV'rs are so terrified running home from snow that by 8pm the streets were so quiet you could hear the snow falling one flake at a time in the city of charleston, including downtown.

-taylor books also has wifi, nifty snacks, and I always seem to meet someone interesting there.

-in fact, I can't think of anywhere I've gone in this city where someone didn't randomly start up a conversation with me. Age, race, gender- no matter.

-tudor's biscuits RULE!

-clay center for the arts

-kanawha public library encourages kids & adults to extend their education with computers.

-I don't have to walk 3 miles to find my car in the town center mall parking lot during july downpours or january snow. everyone gets a space fairly close if you take the elevator

-I've got the best neighbors I could ever hope to have

-I've got a view worth at least a 1/4 million by california standards, but then again, so do most on the hills. We didn't pay 1/4 mill., it just came gratis.

-the regular breeze

-everyone seems to find time in the day to be on their porch. Mexicans have their siestas, old italy has its 2 hr lunch, charleston has it's porch time.

-One weeks salary of median gross income will more than cover the annual taxes on most properties that aren't new construction.

-sales tax is lower. There isn't a multiple layering of city/ township/ county/ state taxes.

-Utilities are nominally priced relative to the rest of the USA

-I love the silly surprise I get from the interstate turning around a mtn bend and here's the capitol dome gleaming from out of nowhere.

-I've never seen hospitality in people to this degree anywhere I've traveled in the USA. I came here with no living relatives in this state and didn't know a soul, and I was welcomed everywhere I went.

-Although my grandmother was raised in parkersburg, I still see in the people of WV, and in charleston, the origins of her incredible character & fortitude. Every time I run into people of similar ilk, I feel her with me despite having passed a few years ago. They laugh at my boldness just like she did.

-people as a rule treat each other decently, are generous with patience, and it's almost a bigger crime to be disrespectful or deliberately hurt someones feelings than it is to actually be wrong. (have I misinterpreted that subtle thing in charleston culture?)

- I don't know any city where people wave to strangers except perhaps other cities in WV.

Unread 09-09-2008, 07:16 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,257,072 times
I'm now upset that I forgot tudors biscuit world, I would kill for one up here...I could probably eat breakfast there everyday for the rest of my life!

Unread 09-09-2008, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 776 times
Default Love the post!

Good going mtneeratheart! You already have a following! My crystal ball tells me that city council meetings will be next for you. I have been quietly reading the posts in the background for awhile and I was pleased to see you started this post. We are moving to Charleston in a couple of weeks and I needed a list of reasons to love the place even more! THANK YOU! You put a smile on my face!

Unread 09-09-2008, 09:09 AM

63 posts, read 120,837 times
I adore the capitol market!!

Unread 09-09-2008, 09:38 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,056,178 times
Genesse, you need to change your location on your settings so that you are no longer moving to WV but are actually here! Glad to see that your move went OK. You're going to have to come to Huntington for Chilli Fest or Greek Fest or both and then my wife and I can show you all around. Glad that you are here.
Tim

Unread 09-09-2008, 12:04 PM

63 posts, read 120,837 times
I can't wait for a tour of Huntington!! Thank you, Tim! ( can we stop for a hotdog too?)

Unread 09-09-2008, 12:08 PM

404 posts, read 731,382 times
The Clay Center and Capitol Market!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston