U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2008, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 16,173 times
Default cost of living in charleston

hi!
i was just wondering about the cost of living in Charleston?
i am a trainee at the marriot and i have to find my own living space and pay
for my own utilities as well.
what are the utilities i have to pay and how much would that cost?
i am actually from the Philippines and on the trainee program, i just don't want
to be shocked when i get there.

thank in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:20 AM

3,105 posts, read 4,506,472 times
I live outside of Chas - my water is usually about $25, sewer $25, electric ranges from $60 - $200(depends on how cold it is outside. All electric home - but you will probably get an apartment so won't be as much), garage $18, cable with internet and movies, etc. $110, don't have gas for anything so don't know that price, cell phone $54. Own home - don't know what rent is in the area - helped a friend look for an apartment a couple years ago and think they ran about $500-$600 per month but could be wrong.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:44 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,025,800 times
chef go to charleston gazette's website, sign up for 'smartie' ads that will send the current rentals directly to your email box. $500- $600 a month you should be able to find a garden apartment with modern amenities. Utilities are unlikely to be included in any rental agreement. Perhaps partial, like trash and water, but I never saw advertised 100% inclusive utilities. It doesn't appear to be customary here.

$350 ish per month you can find a private rental of half a duplex or even a whole house that's usually not in as great a shape but relative to other cities quite a deal. The Marriot in downtown is just across the bridge on washington st a few blocks from West Charleston and traffic is modest throughout the area. The real estate market is in favor of buyers & renters here so I'm sure you'll find whatever you need at a relatively reasonable price. Depending on your energy use, utilities are also relatively low in cost (7 cents a kwh for electric, natural gas rate is about "$15 MCF" if that makes sense to you). These lower prices don't mean much if you're renting a place that's poorly insulated, so keep that in mind or get some surprises in winter.

Like vec, I own my house so I can't tell you many details about renting. I did shop around this past winter for an apartment while relocating here but the real estate prices were so reasonable that it just didn't make sense for me to rent. Good luck with your new career, and don't be shy about posting more questions as they come up. WV'rs are very friendly and helpful, something I appreciated most when deciding to live here myself.

Last edited by harborlady; 10-02-2008 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston