Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 PM

345 posts, read 1,015,893 times

Advertisements

I noticed 25 people read the thread. No one has any information about Charleston???? Please??? Could you help me out and give me any information about crime, weather, jobs, people???

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 06:31 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Try reading all the thread headings with charleston? That would be a good start.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 PM

92 posts, read 367,189 times
Well I am not from WV yet but I have been to Charleston nce and it was a nice city. The homes in town seemed pretty close together and a little seedy. It has some beautiful areas of nice homes too though. I liked the fact that it is not far from country areas. Alot of stores and businesses, seemed really busy with traffic when I was there. People were really nice, we stayed for two days and I really enjoyed meeting the people. Hope that helps a little. Diane

Old 02-21-2009, 08:58 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Here's the Wikipedia entry for Charleston, WV

Charleston, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-22-2009, 06:41 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Criime - Some, more than some places, less than others.

Weather - Daily

Jobs - Yes, more people who live there work than don't.

People - 50,000, give or take a stray flatlander or two.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
I can't give much detailed info as I live in Huntington but the two cities are pretty close so I can tell you what I know. Charleston, weather wise, is one of the more mild spots in WV. Winters aren't bad and they get only slightly more snow than Huntington and winter temps are most often in the 20s and 30s. Summers are hot and humid but not uncomfortable. Transportation wise they are served by KRT, which seems to be pretty good for public transportation. There's a mall downtown and some quaint shops in various places with some nice restaurants. Sorry I can't really speak of neighborhoods as I'm not familiar with them and crime stats are just a number so I can't give any more detailed info from that aspect as well.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. If you need/would like any info on Huntington, that's where I could really help out. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Tim

Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
Seedy and rundown - Yes, a lot of the East End, the flat part of the West Side, some of the hollows across the river, North Charleston are all pretty seedy with more crime than South Charleston, Kanawha City, South Hills or Fort Hill. You just have to pay attention to where you want to move. Some of the East End is full of beautiful turn of the century homes, just depends on where in Charleston you are looking. Weather here is moderate in the winter with some snow, lots of rain and high humidity in the summer and temps sometimes for days in the 90's.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I can't give much detailed info as I live in Huntington but the two cities are pretty close so I can tell you what I know. Charleston, weather wise, is one of the more mild spots in WV. Winters aren't bad and they get only slightly more snow than Huntington and winter temps are most often in the 20s and 30s. Summers are hot and humid but not uncomfortable. Transportation wise they are served by KRT, which seems to be pretty good for public transportation. There's a mall downtown and some quaint shops in various places with some nice restaurants. Sorry I can't really speak of neighborhoods as I'm not familiar with them and crime stats are just a number so I can't give any more detailed info from that aspect as well.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. If you need/would like any info on Huntington, that's where I could really help out. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Tim
Thanks, Tim, for your helpfulness!!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeeileen View Post
Well I am not from WV yet but I have been to Charleston nce and it was a nice city. The homes in town seemed pretty close together and a little seedy. It has some beautiful areas of nice homes too though. I liked the fact that it is not far from country areas. Alot of stores and businesses, seemed really busy with traffic when I was there. People were really nice, we stayed for two days and I really enjoyed meeting the people. Hope that helps a little. Diane
Thanks, Diane!! It does help!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM

246 posts, read 880,565 times
Crime is nothing compared to say Detroit or Philly. Mostly drugs, petty robberies. More crime in the black sections,east and west side of towns. Weather is moderate some winters worse than others but overall not bad. Job situation is lousy. mostly minumum wage jobs,dog track is looking for people. all the fast food place need people. Nurses in big demand. People are not super friendly like Texas. Mostly keep to themselves. Not much going on here. If you have more specific questions i will be happy to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston