U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:18 AM

51 posts, read 63,745 times
Question Charleston and nearby area, best places to live?

Hi ! I posted yesterday, but unfortunately I did not get a lot of input. I am trying to get a little data before our house hunting trip,I would like to be able to make an informed decision in relation to best area to live . I am tired of moving, so I need to plan carefully
I am looking for a good area, no more than 30 miles away, easy access to Charleston for my husbands daily commute, with good schools for my 2 boys.
Thank you!
Leanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 AM

1,576 posts, read 1,788,189 times
We really need to know more things about your search to give you a more helpful response. - What is your price range- Prefer city or country living- How close do you want to live to work- ect...I have lived in Charleston, South Charleston, Dunbar, Cross Lanes and now Saint Albans in my 10 years of living in the KV. With that i have learned some of the good and bad about each of those places. Now... there are several other burough's in Charleston area you will probably want to look at such as Pinch, South Hlls, Kanawha City and possibly Sissonville. It all depends on your taste and personal preferences.Charleston actually has a lot of diversity in it's housing market, and you will see that as you visit each neighborhood mentioned.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:56 PM

51 posts, read 63,745 times
We are looking in the range of 325-375000, and prefer something with maybe 1 acre of land. Not too big ,not too small, maybe around 3000sqft house,if that is possible within our budget. I do not care for city life as long as is at 30 min drive of work, and access to shopping.The most important thing is the safety of the neighborhood and the schools.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:33 PM

246 posts, read 548,895 times
Plenty of places in Charleston for that price. Charleston is a safe as can be.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:25 AM

1,576 posts, read 1,788,189 times
Maybe Putnam County is what your looking for. Lot's of housing in Scott Depot/Teays Valley area that has been built in the past 10 years for that price range. That would also put you at around a 30 minute to commute to Charleston if you worked in downtown, or 30-35 minutes to Huntington as well.

South Hills is another area that comes to mind. And that would be around a 5 minute drive to downtown on Bridge Road.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 AM

63 posts, read 124,417 times
Mink Shoals is great..and 5 minutes from Charleston. I live in the Elkview/Pinch area and love it at this side of Charleston. I don't like anything off of 64 really due to accidents/traffic backups. If rt 79 has an issue, I have rts. 114 and 119 to get to work easily. It takes 20 minutes (expressway or two lane) from Elkview to Charleston where I work on capitol street. The schools (Elkview) are , from what I hear, wonderful. I have access to three grocery stores within 5 miles ( two Smith's and a Krogers) . The shopping here is basic ( Kmart, dollar stores,rite aide, cvs ,goodwill,hallmark etc..), but you aren't far from a larger selection. I just really like the look and feel of this area. I wish i had your price range !! Wow.. that will make your list of selections amazing. Big Chimney is also in this area and has many homes not boxed in.I am looking to buy this year too, and want to be in this area, so I wish you the best in looking. It is a very wonderful place to call home.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:20 PM

539 posts, read 572,200 times
I visit Charleston throughout the year and area I like the most is the I-79 portion of Kanawha County. It seems rural, but still close to the city. Of course I am no expert on Charleston but I think the traffic on the I-64 portion between Huntington and Charleston can be a bit crazy, even for WV.

Also I may be a little partial to the I-79 portion since the control city for the I-79 sign is my hometown (Clarksburg)--haha.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:52 AM

25 posts, read 58,347 times
How about the East End? Can anyone give me any information on living in that area? How is crime? I read the Gazette online and the headline today was gang activity in the city. I like the idea of walking to the Bluegrass Kitchen etc.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:34 PM

3,105 posts, read 4,506,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAnne View Post
How about the East End? Can anyone give me any information on living in that area? How is crime? I read the Gazette online and the headline today was gang activity in the city. I like the idea of walking to the Bluegrass Kitchen etc.
There are gangs in Charleston? What day in the paper cuz I gotta read that. A month or so ago we had a discussion on here about gangs. I've lived here 20 years and have never heard of gangs in Chas. - had commented the news must not be doing a very good job of reporting it.

The East End of Chas is weird in that there are areas which are charming neighborhoods but go over a street or two and it's not so charming. Actually, that can be said for a lot of Chas.

Crime in Chas? Use common sense, stay out of the drug scene, don't get involved with a domestically violent special other, etc. I don't worry in the day. Wouldn't recommend walking the streets at 2am.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:43 PM

25 posts, read 58,347 times
The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports - News - Police in city report more gang activity*

Here's the link for the Gazette article. Thanks for the reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston