U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:26 AM

299 posts, read 951,433 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me... is it the responsibility of the HOA to make sure new residents have a received a copy of the Covenants and Restrictions, or is it the responsibility of the new homeowner to make sure he/she gets them? Is there a published law somewhere I can read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 AM

8,856 posts, read 7,982,242 times
You should have had to sign something when you closed on your house stating that you had received a copy and agreed to the CC&Rs.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:35 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,135,782 times
Yes, you should have (at least) gotten a copy at your closing. Contact your attorney if you don't have one.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:36 AM

5,788 posts, read 8,439,439 times
If you went into contract without reading the CCR you need serious help!

I don't care what law is published or not published or whatever... making the largest purchase you'll ever make without reading the laws you'll need to live by is insanely foolish.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,135,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
If you went into contract without reading the CCR you need serious help!

I don't care what law is published or not published or whatever... making the largest purchase you'll ever make without reading the laws you'll need to live by is insanely foolish.
Sometimes, you don't know that they exist. Sometimes, they don't tell you and you find out later! (that is what happened to me)

Old 06-09-2010, 06:39 AM

I didn't say I entered into a contract without getting the CCRs. I am just wondering what the law is. Answers like that make me sorry I asked here.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
I didn't say I entered into a contract without getting the CCRs. I am just wondering what the law is. Answers like that make me sorry I asked here.
Maybe help me out with some context... What does the law around it have to do with it?

Frankly we see so many people come here and complain about HoAs, the rules, etc... often we find out that they never read to CCRs before buying and moving into the home.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 AM

8,856 posts, read 7,982,242 times
Agreed, a little context would help. I assumed this was due to you looking to purchase a home. Is that not the case?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 AM

I sit on an HOA Board. We took control of the Board from the developer recently, and frankly, none of us knows what we're doing. The developer RUINED our HOA, racked up debts, didn't pay any of the bills, etc. We're trying to get ourselves back on track and run the HOA properly.

We have several residents who have violated the CCRs but claim they never got copies of the CCRs. I think they probably got them at closing, as they used the same closing attorney that I used and I got copies. However, I'd like to know what the law is... is it the HOAs responsibilty to make sure they have a copy? Looks to me like it is not. CCRs are on record with the State Real Estate board (or something like that) and are available upon request, but I don't see anything that states we have to make sure new owners have/have gotten a copy.

So, that is my reason for asking the question. The question is still the same, regardless of context.... what is the law on this? Whose responsibility is it?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
I sit on an HOA Board. We took control of the Board from the developer recently, and frankly, none of us knows what we're doing. The developer RUINED our HOA, racked up debts, didn't pay any of the bills, etc. We're trying to get ourselves back on track and run the HOA properly.

We have several residents who have violated the CCRs but claim they never got copies of the CCRs. I think they probably got them at closing, as they used the same closing attorney that I used and I got copies. However, I'd like to know what the law is... is it the HOAs responsibilty to make sure they have a copy? Looks to me like it is not. CCRs are on record with the State Real Estate board (or something like that) and are available upon request, but I don't see anything that states we have to make sure new owners have/have gotten a copy.

So, that is my reason for asking the question. The question is still the same, regardless of context.... what is the law on this? Whose responsibility is it?
Wow - sorry for your situation, but nice to hear you're getting it straightened out... That context is huge because I know of several regulars here who have or are sitting on a HoA board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte