U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:05 PM

341 posts, read 459,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
^^^Thx for posting, lumbollo, lots of great memories seeing those old photos.

I really miss the Oaken Bucket (formerly Whirling Well), it was removed in '87 or so.
Not removed, filled in It's buried out there under Runaway Reptar (I'm blanking on the new name).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:46 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,577,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Thunder road was my son's first big coaster (he was 6 at the time) and he did not like it at all. It was just too bumpy. His second big coaster was Cyclone and he loved it! He is 7 now and stands at only 50 inches tall. Rides like Afterburn, Vortex, Nighthawk, and Intimidator requires 54 inches.

As of now, his favorite coasters are Cyclone, Cobra, and a small inverted coaster (that I can not remember the name of). Here is a picture link to that small inverted coaster.

Carowinds on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidfmorton/256350397/ - broken link)

^^^This is not a "big coaster" but it is a great start for the kids!!!
I think this is the same one as Lanigan is speaking of. It is "Runaway Ace" (or if it's not, that is the one I was referring to in my OP. Daughter likes this one, and loves woodstock aka: Snoopy for your oldschoolers)

TR is next whooohooooo....

Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM

4,010 posts, read 5,654,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
^^^Thx for posting, lumbollo, lots of great memories seeing those old photos.

I really miss the Oaken Bucket (formerly Whirling Well), it was removed in '87 or so.
Indeed. I loved that ride. I also hate they tore down the powder keg ride. It was my favorite as a kid. Oh and there was the skyway cable car across the park. You could easily see downtown from it. I miss the monorail too.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM

2,349 posts, read 2,194,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I also hate they tore down the powder keg ride. It was my favorite as a kid.
*Gasp* They did?! I haven't been in a few years - I felt beat up last time I went! - but they still had that ride. click-click-click-click-click-click-click WHOOOSH I'm glad I got to ride it with my sons before that happened! (and I think we've got a picture somewhere....)

Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
*Gasp* They did?! I haven't been in a few years - I felt beat up last time I went! - but they still had that ride. click-click-click-click-click-click-click WHOOOSH I'm glad I got to ride it with my sons before that happened! (and I think we've got a picture somewhere....)
Yep. That's where INTIMIDATOR now stands.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 AM

533 posts, read 1,033,242 times
if thunder road is the wooden coaster then i wouldn't recommend it to anyone that is prone to headaches! actually, i hardly get headaches, but that ride is an instant headache for me! rode it once and had to leave the park i was in so much pain.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
if thunder road is the wooden coaster then i wouldn't recommend it to anyone that is prone to headaches! actually, i hardly get headaches, but that ride is an instant headache for me! rode it once and had to leave the park i was in so much pain.
It's in the middle of rehab. It's much better than it used to be.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM

21,779 posts, read 37,957,375 times
I would not recommend hurler for a kid it a wooden coaster that makes you feel like you just got out a
car wreck. My neck hurt bad that coaster needs to be replaced.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:47 PM

2,447 posts, read 4,565,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
They are both wooden coasters.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,595 times
I like Cedar Point in Ohio. Anyone been there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte