U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2007, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
241 posts, read 682,139 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Hey all,

This is my first post on the forum; although my wife posted on here prior to our move to Union County. Anyway,we live in Indian Trail and just love it. We sure dont miss the MA/RI area. The purpose of the post is to find out why I have received very few responses from employers? I was told not to submit resumes before I moved because i had an out of state address and phone number. So i did wait and I must have submitted 20-25 resumes in the past week and only 2 have got back to me. I have a B.A., 7 years military service, and 3 years in human services. 90% of the jobs I put in for were human services. Is it just the pace down here, workplace politics, or are there other factors involved? Thanks, and hopefully i wont stay stressed out over this!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2007, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,767,871 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
Hey all,

This is my first post on the forum; although my wife posted on here prior to our move to Union County. Anyway,we live in Indian Trail and just love it. We sure dont miss the MA/RI area. The purpose of the post is to find out why I have received very few responses from employers? I was told not to submit resumes before I moved because i had an out of state address and phone number. So i did wait and I must have submitted 20-25 resumes in the past week and only 2 have got back to me. I have a B.A., 7 years military service, and 3 years in human services. 90% of the jobs I put in for were human services. Is it just the pace down here, workplace politics, or are there other factors involved? Thanks, and hopefully i wont stay stressed out over this!!
Do you mean HR? I know a few folks who are in the field and finding it real tough- I think HR all around is just tough now as a lot is outsourced and/or contracted. You might want to also consider applying directly to some of the bigger companies like IBM for instance (they always seem to have a handful of jobs in the Charlotte area).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
241 posts, read 682,139 times
Reputation: 54
No, I am referring to social work type positions. I worked as a mental health case manager for several years. At this point, I would take any kind of job..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,795,380 times
Reputation: 1008
You may have been better off with the out of state address. I am not saying this is true, but some employers believe Northerners have a stronger work ethic. It is a stereottype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
 
4,097 posts, read 10,179,376 times
Reputation: 1901
You know, I will just say this.....in both DH's job search and my job search, we have found this area particularly to be slow in responding to resumes and such. I sent resumes to jobs POSTED and would phone 2 weeks later, only to be told they hadn't yet started looking at resumes.

So, hang in there. Do follow up calls, etc....but just know it may be slow.

I am not used to this at all. Where I came from I would get calls back within a week.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,795,380 times
Reputation: 1008
Things at my company go slow, but it is due to the number of applicants. It goes to HR, to a recruiter, then to the manager, so it takes a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Indian Trail, NC
241 posts, read 682,139 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Things at my company go slow, but it is due to the number of applicants. It goes to HR, to a recruiter, then to the manager, so it takes a while.
Given I have no "connections" in the area makes it tougher. I guess the best thing to do would be to network or look for a headhunter. Who knows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, home of the NY/NJ refugees
1,384 posts, read 1,431,133 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
You may have been better off with the out of state address. I am not saying this is true, but some employers believe Northerners have a stronger work ethic. It is a stereottype.
haha WHAT?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
You know, I will just say this.....in both DH's job search and my job search, we have found this area particularly to be slow in responding to resumes and such. I sent resumes to jobs POSTED and would phone 2 weeks later, only to be told they hadn't yet started looking at resumes.

So, hang in there. Do follow up calls, etc....but just know it may be slow.

I am not used to this at all. Where I came from I would get calls back within a week.

Dawn
Groove is right-- it is a long process because of all the people resumes must go through. Also, many people I talk with who do hiring for companies say it is not at all unusual to get over 50 resumes a day for a posted job. GOing through 50-250+ resumes can slow the process.

It is NOT a "southern" thing. My company is based in San Diego and it takes them darn near three months to complete the hiring process on any given posted position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Suburban Buffalo, NY
928 posts, read 3,536,795 times
Reputation: 214
For mental health positions check out pathways - I beleive they are based out of gaston county, I know several people who made their start through them in various capacities. Some of it has to do with who you know,

Being a notherner I cannot say if it's a help or hinderence, if they need people, they need people. I do remember at my interview my intervewer told me "It will be difficult to get time off during the holidays, being from the north and all". He was right, but not because time wasn't available, it's just there are people who've been with this company 40 years and the holidays are on the perks they have for working so long. Give or take, there are many factors in place right now. My interviewer was from Pittsburgh.

The proper channels are as Kmway stated and groove, it's a lenghtly process.

You should try applying to the school system too, they often take human services backgrounds for various positions. I don't know which ones. There are also recent college grads pounding the pavement for jobs right now too.

I had a sibling move down to NC and the sibling was in a "HOT" field and was offered several positions before they moved down. Ofcourse, as fate would have it, they sibling didn't like it here and split within 72 hours.

Good Luck.

Last edited by XNYgirl; 06-18-2007 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: another comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 PM
 
Location: in a house
3,574 posts, read 13,124,540 times
Reputation: 2341
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
No, I am referring to social work type positions. I worked as a mental health case manager for several years. At this point, I would take any kind of job..
You could try looking on the state website - there is a link to "employment".
I am assuming that you're sending in a resume in response to an advertisement, yes, but remember, also, that summer is when many companies are hosting interns / externs from area colleges...... Think positive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top