U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:50 PM

364 posts, read 1,041,277 times

Advertisements

I will be moving shortly after my wedding in July. How do I go about getting my name changed? Do we have to get new driver's licenses and plates right away or do we wait until our birthdays (Jan/Feb)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 06:16 PM

928 posts, read 3,527,976 times
Preferably, you should get all your id and auto registration taken care of as soon as you move here. The DMV is a pretty busy place.

As for your last name, I have a 'common' last name so I chose to hypenate it for legal reasons. I heard some horror stories about last name mix ups and credit/legal ramifications.

Congrats on your move and wedding.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:29 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,142,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwally View Post
I will be moving shortly after my wedding in July. How do I go about getting my name changed? Do we have to get new driver's licenses and plates right away or do we wait until our birthdays (Jan/Feb)?

Thanks!
I know what you mean. NC does not do plates by your alphabet name, nor do they do it by your birthday month. This state you just get your plates whenever, and the following year, it'll be the same month.

When I lived in Ohio, they used to do it certain months for alphabetic last name letters, then they switched, to the month of your birthday. It's not that way in NC.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,607,561 times
All new residents of North Carolina who plan to operate a motor vehicle in this state must obtain a driver's license within 60 days of establishing a permanent residence.

Upon moving to North Carolina from another state, you must register your motor vehicle at the expiration of the time granted by reciprocity agreement between North Carolina and your prior state of residence (usually 30 days) or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first.

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/download/newcomers.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or