Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 11:00 AM

60 posts, read 125,695 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the soccer associations for girls in the Charlotte area? Which one or two are considered the best? Which ones practice in the SW Charlotte area? My daughter plays U12 Classic right now (not living in Charlotte currently). Also, any middle schools in FT Mill/Lake Wylie/Belmont areas that have really good girls soccer programs? What about the high school programs at Ft Mill or Clover HS? Are the associations considered as important as the school programs in the Charlotte area? Would appreciate any info anyone can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:23 AM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Charlotte United FC - powered by Oasys Sports

This organization has a very strong program for girls (and boys) and goes to the Premier level. It is quite competitive. There are other excellent programs but I just don't recall the names off hand.

In terms of school soccer....In the south charlotte area, the private schools often cut even very good girls after tryouts because it is so competitive. Some public schools are like this, but not as many. Not sure about SC schools. Belmont is not very competitive.

Soccer is a very popular sport down here for kids. many Fall Challenge, Classic and Elite programs held tryouts in May for the fall season. You'd have to see if at this late date there is an option. If not, your child may have to wait and see if spots open up for mid year tryouts. There would be lots of options for rec. soccer for the fall and registration is usually late July-August.

We left the classis level a few years back...too time consumming (and expensive)and our child had lots of other interests. But, many girls play up to age 18 and most in middle and high school are at classis and elite levels.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Thanks very much taben. Exactly the kind of info I need!

Anyone else know if any particular association has practices in the SW Charlotte area vs South Charlotte? I looked at the website for one association and it appeared all of their practices were in SE Charlotte. If we're looking to live around Lake Wylie area, and work over on that side of Charlotte as well, seems it would make sense to try to find an association that has practices over in that area of town (if possible). But I do want her to be a part of a competitive team.

I called and talked to one of the association's coaches for my daughter's age group, and he also said tryouts were over. But after talking with him a bit, he agreed my daughter could come down and he would allow her to try out for him. However, I did not at that point realize there were all the various associations. Will go to the tryout ASAP, just wanted to get more information on all the various associations. Doesn't the state have a website that ranks all NC teams for the Classic division?

Thanks again.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Default SW Charlotte Soccer and Ratings Info...

For teams in the area you are looking at: "SCAA Challenge and Classic Soccer are the BEST value for Select Soccer in the area-Charlotte, Steele Creek, Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Lake Wylie, Clover! The emphasis of our programs are the training and development of each player to reach their maximum potential as soccer players and to increase their love of the beautiful game. The SCAA soccer programs includes the following:..."
see Select Challenge/Classic program
Check these closely as some are fairly new (WUSC for instance) and not as strong...BUT that could give your daughter a chance to really shine and help a building program with other girls who are new to a team.

also for North Carolina Girls State Rankings...
National Soccer Ranking.com

Hope this helps! I know how hard it is to move and worry about schools AND a true extracurr. interest!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:13 PM

I've not heard of Steele Creek Soccer Association. Thanks for the heads up. I know that Charlotte United and South Charlotte Soccer Association (SCSA) always field strong teams, some of the best in the state. But don't know what parts of town they hold their practices and games. Just trying to figure out who's who and the possible logistics of things. We're still trying to decide about making the move and where to buy. If we make the move, I don't want soccer practice to be 45 minutes away. That will be almost as bad as a long commute to work!

Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 AM

852 posts, read 2,467,088 times
My two sons play for Charlotte United and have done for many years. There is also Charlotte Soccer Academy which is another big box soccer club. To be honest they all offer great soccer at a price. My sons play at premier level and boy it's expensive (by my standards anyhow). I don't know about any school soccer in the Fort Mill area but my chldren also play for their schools but they are in CMS. At the end of the day you WILL be offered a place to play at one of the big clubs - they are a business and they will not turn anybody down - the deciding factor will be which one is a better fit. Good luck - it's brutal out there!

Oh yes for your information South Charlotte Soccer Association is now Charlotte Soccer Academy. And also both clubs have different locations around Charlotte, ie Ramblewood, Waddell HS, Elon ES, all fairly accessible from Fort Mill I would think.

Last edited by smclarke4; 06-29-2010 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: remembered something else

Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 AM

604 posts, read 1,306,853 times
Discoveries SC - powered by Oasys Sports

My daughter played U-16, U-17 and U18 in Rock Hill at Manchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte