Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yea, i mean Philly on average is 8 degrees cooler during the day than Charlotte. Now at night Charlotte is only 4 degrees warmer. But I would not call that the same weather. Although its about 6 degrees different in summer and 10 in winter during the day...but still..
You can't go by the official temps in Philly. They come from the airport, which is in Tinnicum Swamp. No one lives there. That gives a cooler temp, year round. It's a standing joke in the area when it's a hundred degrees in the city & may be 102 in South Jersey but the official temp is 93.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
The thing to keep in mind about average temp dfifferences btwn Charlotte and areas around Philly, NYC, is that even if the average temps are comparable, what you have to keep in mind is that in the mid-Atalntic area, if the average temp is 95, it will get to 95 at around 1, 1:30 and stay there for three or so hours before gradually dipping. It will also start getting that hot at the end of June, maybe, and by early September, that kind fo heat is gone. In Charlotte, you can walk out your door at 10 am and get a blast of hot air that will remain until the sun starts to set. And that heat can start in early June and stick around well into September. It's not a question of how much higher the mercury rises but how long it stays in that uncomfortable position.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:28 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
The thing to keep in mind about average temp dfifferences btwn Charlotte and areas around Philly, NYC, is that even if the average temps are comparable, what you have to keep in mind is that in the mid-Atalntic area, if the average temp is 95, it will get to 95 at around 1, 1:30 and stay there for three or so hours before gradually dipping. It will also start getting that hot at the end of June, maybe, and by early September, that kind fo heat is gone. In Charlotte, you can walk out your door at 10 am and get a blast of hot air that will remain until the sun starts to set. And that heat can start in early June and stick around well into September. It's not a question of how much higher the mercury rises but how long it stays in that uncomfortable position.
Very true...!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Spend a lot of time in South Jersey?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:31 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm aware, Jack. However, I tracked temperatures for 2 years, & saw little difference, overall. It's easy to pinpoint the area by referring to the planting zone, though. Not drastic differences from where I was to here. Some days it's hotter in South Jersey than here. They had a heat wave before we did this year.

It made sense to me to reference the planting zone there to reference where I was talking about. Apparently, it wasn't such a good idea.
I hear ya, and I'm with you on the temps. It seemed like on the HOTTEST days up in the burbs of NYC you couldn't go outside because the mugginess would just choke you.

I think the main difference though is that nyc, philly, & DC had those brutal days in the summer, but unfortunately it only had the chance to stay brutal until about labor day (because the shorter days and more chances for back door cool fronts). September up there can get very hot, but its very short lived. Here, since you are 600 miles south of those places, you have a much greater chance of heat waves well into september...

Old 06-14-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You can't go by the official temps in Philly. They come from the airport, which is in Tinnicum Swamp. No one lives there. That gives a cooler temp, year round. It's a standing joke in the area when it's a hundred degrees in the city & may be 102 in South Jersey but the official temp is 93.
Well you are comparing cities that are 500 miles apart north to south ..how they can be considered the same almost makes no sense...sorry.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I hear ya, and I'm with you on the temps. It seemed like on the HOTTEST days up in the burbs of NYC you couldn't go outside because the mugginess would just choke you.

I think the main difference though is that nyc, philly, & DC had those brutal days in the summer, but unfortunately it only had the chance to stay brutal until about labor day (because the shorter days and more chances for back door cool fronts). September up there can get very hot, but its very short lived. Here, since you are 600 miles south of those places, you have a much greater chance of heat waves well into september...
We usually had heatwaves well into Sept., sometimes until October, but those things happen.

Maybe because I'm west of Charlotte it's different, but it cools off much better at night here & slowly rises in the morning until about 12 or 1, here. In South Jersey the humidity can be ghastly & some nights in the summer it can be 80 degrees when the 11pm news has their weather.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
We usually had heatwaves well into Sept., sometimes until October, but those things happen.

Maybe because I'm west of Charlotte it's different, but it cools off much better at night here & slowly rises in the morning until about 12 or 1, here. In South Jersey the humidity can be ghastly & some nights in the summer it can be 80 degrees when the 11pm news has their weather.
Here is the thing, you are picking the heat waves. The problem is , what is considered a heat wave up north is just a regular hot day here. If you want to say that when its hot and humid up north its as bad or worse than here, I'll agree...problem with the argument is its always hot here in summer ...you are discounting those nice fronts that come through in summer up there and temps stay in the low mid 70's...you dont get that here and you cant just ignore that part.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
I'm not doubting you on how warm it can get into October, its just on average it cools off earlier up there (in those 3 areas) sooner than it does in this region.

Alot of how low the temp can get up in those areas (from what I remember) is basically the heat island effect....places like Newark, Philly, & metro areas alot of times it never got below the low 80's at night during the worst of heat waves because of all the concrete.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Well you are comparing cities that are 500 miles apart north to south ..how they can be considered the same almost makes no sense...sorry.
500 miles southwest, not due south. That's like the difference between Philadelphia & Baltimore is 100 miles., but Baltimore is not 100 miles south of Philly, it's mostly west.

So, when I tracked weather down here, I was hearing local reports that reported the real temps, as well as the official temps. Yes there's a difference, but not a huge difference. Some days it's the same, some days it's warmer here, but some days it's warmer there. They had a heatwave before us, this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte