U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 AM

9 posts, read 19,389 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there are any sections of town that have a strong cultural and/or European influence? For example, here in the Tampa area we have the section of downtown known as Ybor city, with strong Cuban and Spanish influence, with great dining, nightlife and arcitechture. Then in Tarpon Springs, we have the Greek fishing villiage with numerous Greek resturants and shops. Just wondering if there are sections of the Charlotte region like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:05 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,160,016 times
No, there are no sections such as what you mentioned.

We love to head to Tampa and Ybor City b/c it is a unique area - great food!

We have some historic areas, such as Old Salem in Winston-Salem but that is still not really what you are looking for.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:55 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,099,140 times
I've wondered about this, maybe some long-time residents could shed some light? Have there historically not been a lot of immigrants here from European countries, or were they more dispersed so there aren't ethnic neighborhood clusters? Are ethnic neighborhood enclaves less common in the south (since there's already a distinct southern culture) than in the north/east?

Lol, this is WAY beyond the scope of the question, but I'm curious!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,929,155 times
There are definitely ethnic clusters in Charlotte but they are primarily Asian and Central and South American.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,944,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
I've wondered about this, maybe some long-time residents could shed some light? Have there historically not been a lot of immigrants here from European countries, ....
This area was settled by the Scotch/Irish in the late 17th, 18th, & 19th centuries. One of the biggest Scottish events in the USA, the Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain, (next month) is held here due to the fact that a huge number of natives can trace their last name directly to one of the original Scottish Clans. When I have been there, my very well soused clansmen informed me the Scotts were responsible for modern civilization so this is probably why you don't see any of the lesser influences here.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM

852 posts, read 2,218,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
. When I have been there, my very well soused clansmen informed me the Scotts were responsible for modern civilization so this is probably why you don't see any of the lesser influences here.
On that same note:
[LEFT]After having dug to a depth of 10 meters, Scottish scientists found traces of copper wire dating back 1,000 years and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 1,000 years ago.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] x[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Not to be outdone by the Scots, in the weeks that followed, English scientists dug to a depth of 20 meters, and shortly after, headlines in the English newspapers read: ‘English archaeologists have found traces of 2,000 year old copper wire and have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network a thousand years earlier than the Scots.’[/LEFT]
[LEFT] x[/LEFT]
[LEFT]One week later, ‘The Kerryman‘, a southwest Irish newsletter, reported the following: ‘After digging as deep as 30 meters in peat bog near Tralee, Paddy O’Driscoll, a self taught archaeologist, reported that he found absolutely nothing. Paddy has therefore concluded that 3,000 years ago Ireland had already gone wireless.’[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or