Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 PM

15 posts, read 39,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taben View Post
I think the north area has more diversity in the best of ways. The folks I know in the Mallard Creek area have freinds have children with friends of different races. I love that. Those I know in Matthews...not so much.
That sounds ideal. I actually grew up in a very culturally diverse area, and loved that there people from all cultures were there. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM

387 posts, read 615,429 times
I lived in Arbor Hills though as a PG. The community is split into two parts - One is Arbor Vista..cant recollect the other one. Its built by Pulte homes, so the quality and square footage is good. Having said that others who are directing you to High Land Creek are doing the right thing. Arbor Hill sits right by the expressway, no noise pollution or such, schools pretty close the entire Mallard Creek road has quite a few places to eat and shop. More are coming up.

Highland creek earlier was prices higher but since prices have dropped I am sure its now in your price range. Look at KB homes community in there. A friend bought a house in 2008 and the prices have come down to your price point.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,680 times
I live in Withrow Downs (the original part), which changed its name to "The Settlements" recently, because people were drivin through Withrow Downs II (which has high forclosure rates and crime) and thought all of Withrow Downs was the same. The lots in The Settlements range from 1/3 acre to almost an acre and the homes are in an established area. Not much noise from Charlotte Motor Speedway, but you have to know watch traffic when the two biggest races are taking place. (May and October). Luckily, there is a back way out of the subdivision, so you can avoid most of the traffic. The area is close to major shopping and UNCC.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
there is also a LOT of employment in that area. I work at one of them. There is estimated at being over 35k people working in that area...including, I am sure, the big Wachovia call center complex which is on Harris. Because of the high concentration of workers, there are also the malls and the restaurants. Not only Concord Mills, but, Northlake (down on Harris), every restaurant known to mankind...

Yes, much more diverse than the southern end of the county. I think that it is a great area!

the difference between the Settlements (Old Withrow Downs) and Arbor Hills is the age. The Settlements is an older subdivision which is why the houses are larger. Even Highland Creek is newer.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:48 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,180,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
there is also a LOT of employment in that area. I work at one of them. There is estimated at being over 35k people working in that area...including, I am sure, the big Wachovia call center complex which is on Harris.
That's not just a call center. Most of their IT in CLT is in that complex as well.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 4,647 times
I live in the maplewood neighborhood behind arbor hills and down the street from Fountain Grove and Lexington. I like it because everything I need is right here, decent supermarkets, Harris Teeter, some specialty markets, Trader Joe.
Good Chinese at House of Leng
Five Guys is there next to Toyama
Starbucks and Carribou
FARMERS BBQ for barbecue
Firehouse subs, subway, jimmy johns, quizno are all here

And near I-85 and I-485 and concord mills.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:30 PM

55 posts, read 180,161 times
Those are both nice areas that would be ideal for raising a family. It is a nice neighborhood, has good schools and not bad traffic. A similar neighborhood to Mallard Creek is Highlands Creek. Have you looked there? They both offer similar benefits and are very close to each other. You can find some nice Charlotte new homes there to raise a family. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:16 PM

371 posts, read 1,101,548 times
For the Prosperity Church Road area, make sure to check out the maps of 485 that they are building through there. I go against the traffic, but the traffic coming from Hwy. 115 to Prosperity Church is horrible in the evenings. 485 should relieve some of this.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,500,350 times
interesting post for me because I lived on mallard creek when I moved to CLT and then moved to highland creek. I can't speak much for housing communities on/near mallard creek but I do enjoy HC, been here coming up on 2 years now. 2 things....1) peak MALL traffic on the weekends on 85 can be avoided by taking backroads starting up mallard, but 2) peak rush hour traffic gets pretty slow going the same back roads (one lane most of the way). prosperity church rd is, well, a road, with some housing developments sprouting off it. all 3 locations mentioned to me are good locations for getting places, the mall, the highways, the WF CIC complex, etc... on the weekends its tough getting thru the mall and on race weekends, forget it. in general, for a single, very handsome guy like me, it's not the ideal location but since you mentioned raising a family, I've never really heard any complaints. I personally think areas south of downtown have much more character, but again, I like it here at HC.

oh, and whatever loves says, she's pretty much always spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte