Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 AM

45 posts, read 165,844 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at some small towns around Charlotte. I noticed that they are still in Mecklenburg county. Does that mean they are going to still be part of the Mecklenburg schools system that is supposed to be so bad or are they run by the cities I'm looking at?

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 AM

21 posts, read 199,640 times
I have been looking around the area to relocate myself. It is a county-wide school system that has "neighborhood schools". From what I can tell, they divide the county into districts (I am not sure how they assign which towns are with which districts though) and you would go to one of the schools in your district. You would be assigned a home base school and have a guaranteed seat in that school, or you would have the choice to switch to a school within your district. The elementary schools seem to have good/great test scores. I know it is VERY overcrowded, but new schools are going up all the time. It appears they are trying, at least, to keep up with the growth. The high schools have much to be desired, but with new high schools being planned, etc, hopefully, the high schools will become less crowded, and ultimately a shift in the districts will allow grades to improve throughout the county. I am hopeful. Although, I would love to hear some personal experience feedback from anyone living in the area. Hope this helps.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,806 times
Also note that you can live in one county and go to a school in another county - (makes no sense to me as you are not paying taxes to the school you go to) for example, you can live in Iredell/Statesville and go to the Lake Norman Schools which are part of CMS district but if you search schools in statesville/iredell - lake norman shows up here too...

Old 08-08-2006, 02:51 PM

44 posts, read 171,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
Also note that you can live in one county and go to a school in another county - (makes no sense to me as you are not paying taxes to the school you go to) for example, you can live in Iredell/Statesville and go to the Lake Norman Schools which are part of CMS district but if you search schools in statesville/iredell - lake norman shows up here too...
I don't know of any areas where this is true...Iredell/Statesville definitely doesn't send any students to CMS. Lake Norman Elementary and Lake Norman High School are both part of Iredell-Statesville. There are schools that are in CMS that are considered in the 'Lake Norman' area, but the towns are in Mecklenburg County - Cornelius, Davidson, Huntersville.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNC
I don't know of any areas where this is true...Iredell/Statesville definitely doesn't send any students to CMS. Lake Norman Elementary and Lake Norman High School are both part of Iredell-Statesville. There are schools that are in CMS that are considered in the 'Lake Norman' area, but the towns are in Mecklenburg County - Cornelius, Davidson, Huntersville.

i could have a school confused but there are a few schools in a district and you reside in a different county - I will re reserach and post when I find again... I found it originally by accident so we will see if I can find again

Old 08-08-2006, 03:38 PM

Thanks so much. I'm very confused now.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:05 PM

I hope this does not confuse you more, I found one of the things, for ex, you can live in Mooresville, I believe exit 33 and go to Iredell schools as opposed to Moorseville ones...

Old 08-08-2006, 04:15 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,736 times
The term "Lake Norman" is used loosely around these here parts. Lake Norman spans more than one county. I believe it actually hits 4 counties. Iredell,Mecklenburg,Lincoln and one more maybe Catawba.

So if you search for schools in the Lake Norman area you will get crossed county schools.

There is a school in Mooresville called Lake Norman Elementary and Lake Norman High.

Here is the link for Mooresville Schools http://www.mgsd.k12.nc.us/
and here is the link for Iredell-Statesville Schools http://www.iss.k12.nc.us/

IMO if you stay away from the inner city schools you should be ok wherever you decide in Meck. county .

Good Luck!

Old 08-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Sooooo then, it's mostly the inner part of Mecklenburg you want to avoid. Not the surrounding areas?

Old 08-08-2006, 05:39 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,736 times
yes I would say so. Please someone chime in if I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte