Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 74,094 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I having come from Long Island and being spoiled with fresh seafood have been very disappointed at the local seafood restaurants. Most of the places have very limited menus when it comes to broiled/baked seafood. We have tried thus far:

• * Big Daddy's (very expensive for the low quality, tastes like frozen fish).
    * Vinnies (very good for the price but very limited menu).
    * Captains Cap (95% fried and very, very few broiled items).
Due to my recent heart attack I need to stay away from the fried foods and we don't like chain restaurants since they are mostly frozen product. If anyone can suggest some places we would be forever grateful.

P.S. If your into Mexican you must try the "Prickly Pear" on Main St in Old Moorseville, my wife and I cannot stop going there as the food is the best we have eaten in the US and is fresh and delicious, the guacamole is made fresh tableside and the head chef (from Mexico) uses her Dad's recipes. Give it a shot...you won't be disappointed!

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
You sound a lot like my parents. They're having a real hard time finding a place that suites their tastes. I did a similar topic not too long ago:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ant-state.html

that you might want to review. Anyway, so far they prefer Captain's Galley in Huntersville. My personal favorite seafood dishes are fried clams and shrimp parmagiana, and I have a few places I go for them, but since you want to stay away from anything fried I'll forgo mentioning them.

And I definitely agree about The Prickly Pear. It's my #1 go-to spot for out-of-town guests. Another similar concept that's really good is the Loco Lime in Huntersville.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Vinnie's serves the best oysters you will ever have in your life!! Make sure to order them BP style!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,838 times
My wife and I having come from Long Island and being spoiled with fresh seafood have been very disappointed at the local seafood restaurants. Most of the places have very limited menus when it comes to broiled/baked seafood. We have tried thus far:

• * Big Daddy's (very expensive for the low quality, tastes like frozen fish).
    * Vinnies (very good for the price but very limited menu).
    * Captains Cap (95% fried and very, very few broiled items).
Due to my recent heart attack I need to stay away from the fried foods and we don't like chain restaurants since they are mostly frozen product. If anyone can suggest some places we would be forever grateful.

P.S. If your into Mexican you must try the "Prickly Pear" on Main St in Old Moorseville, my wife and I cannot stop going there as the food is the best we have eaten in the US and is fresh and delicious, the guacamole is made fresh tableside and the head chef (from Mexico) uses her Dad's recipes. Give it a shot...you won't be disappointed!

Try your better restaurants as opposed to chains IMO.
One place i have had good/decent seafood is Jeffreys.They also own 131 Main in Cornelius.
Also in Mooresville is Joe Fish Casual.It is right on 150 and is good.
I am from the "left" Coast and i was spoiled by fresh fish so i know what you are talking about

Old 06-23-2010, 11:41 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Vinnie's serves the best oysters you will ever have in your life!! Make sure to order them BP style!
hmmmm....I'd check the health score on the wall before I order anything at Vinnie's, especially oysters

Old 06-23-2010, 11:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Hey, you want seafood? You're in NC, home of the best mountain oysters in the country!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
The truth is, you don't come to the Charlotte area for seafood.

We are hours from the coast, so you can't find what you find in places like Charleston, Boston, Baltimore, Savannah or New Orleans, just to name a few.

That being said, you learn to cope by cooking seafood yourself at home with the fish or shellfish you are able to buy at places like Harris Teeter - frozen is better than nothing And hey, cooking salmon at home is really very easy.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:10 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

We are hours from the coast, so you can't find what you find in places like Charleston, Boston, Baltimore, Savannah or New Orleans, just to name a few.

That being said, you learn to cope by cooking seafood yourself at home with the fish or shellfish you are able to buy at places like Harris Teeter - frozen is better than nothing And hey, cooking salmon at home is really very easy.

Yes you are so right on cooking it at home and Harris Teeter quality is very good.Their Alaskan Salmon wild caught is very good.I grew up on fresh Salmon and Wild Caught is so much better than Farmed Raised which is just gross!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,747 times
We bought fresh oysters and mussels in the past from HT or Bloom and were impressed.We need more practice at shucking oysters though!

Have eaten oysters at Big Daddys and Vinnies, but neither were as good as bought ones.Agree BDs is overpriced (and dark and dingy, wonder why?)

Haven't tried the Captains table in Huntersville yet.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 74,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

You would think living near a lake that seafood would be a big thing here....guess not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte