Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 PM

14 posts, read 33,938 times

Advertisements

I am looking for info on Indain Trail and I have some questions that hopefully some local people can answer.

#1 - How is the school system in Indian Trail?

#2 What is there to do for entertainment in Indain Trail, such as
- What type of shopping does Indain Trail offer?
- What type of kids entertainment does it offer?
- What type of adult entertainment does it offer (wholesome adult
entertainment such as bowling, movies, etc..)

#3 - How are the taxes in Noth Carolina in general as compared to Georgia (do you have ad valorum?, are state taxes high, etc..)

#4 - How are the communities there, is it full of garage door communities 9where people do not talk to neighbors and want to be left alone) or is it like the communities of the older days where people are eager to meet neighbors?

#5 - How is the commute into Charlotte from Indain Trail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 PM

210 posts, read 505,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy View Post
I am looking for info on Indain Trail and I have some questions that hopefully some local people can answer.

#3 - How are the taxes in Noth Carolina in general as compared to Georgia (do you have ad valorum?, are state taxes high, etc..)

#4 - How are the communities there, is it full of garage door communities 9where people do not talk to neighbors and want to be left alone) or is it like the communities of the older days where people are eager to meet neighbors?

#1 - Not sure.
#2 - You want to shop? Everything you can imagine is within 12 miles, because Route 74 is loaded, and you are so close to Matthews, Monroe, and South Charlotte.
#3 - Union County is much cheaper than Mecklenburg for real estate tax and .05% cheaper in sales tax.
#4 - I met 8 neighbors the 1st week I lived here, and my neighborhood is small. Walked with 2 of them the 2nd week. Several stopped and talked to my husband while he was washing his car. Probably know as many here in 4 months as I did in many years in Massachusetts.
#5 - Depends on when you leave and if school is in session. Right now it is great, but school is out. Sometimes it is awful, but then so is the commute in the north end of Charlotte. I don't take the highway and I do 17 miles in about 40 minutes. In Mass we could do 20 miles in 1 1/2 hours.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 PM

529 posts, read 1,971,400 times
To help with number 1... Indian Trail is part of Union County Public Schools and there are several schools in Indian Trail. Need more specific information on where you are looking in Indian Trail.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy View Post

Indian Trail is a little town of about 11,000 folks. It's mostly all farms and suburbia and a bedroom community of Charlotte.

Schools in western Union county are desirable, though some are more desirable than others.

Traffic can be a headache because roads are all two laned to and from Charlotte - except for hwy 74, which is the busiest four laned road in the state. If you work uptown you'll want to give yourself a good 50+ minutes or so during rush hour from most places in Indian Trail.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:55 PM

175 posts, read 410,591 times
The schools question really depends on the neighborhood and type. Basically Indian Trail has two possible high schools/middle schools. Sun Valley or Porter Ridge, however some outlying areas could potentially end up at Piedmont or Weddington. All are decent...but Porter Ridge is way above capacity so your kid would likely end up at Piedmont if you were in the PR district. Piedmont is good school...but it is way out in the country. Sun Valley is probably the least "popular" of the options...but it does have good scores, etc.

There are more elementary schools than you can shake a stick at. Unless you are in the mood for some strange schedules, be wary of the Shiloh district because it is a year round school and if you had one kid in middle or high and another in elementary....your life would require some serious juggling since the two would have completely different schedules. Indian Trail Elementary is one of the oldest schools in the county...so don't expect lots of bells and whistles. That leaves Sardis, Porter Ridge, and Sun Valley Elementaries. I have heard nothing positive about the principal at SV...but it is the newest. Again however, there are outlying areas that might be considered Indian Trail that could go to Wesley Chapel Elementary, Newtown, Antioch, Rocky River....I don't even know...just pay close attention to whatever neighborhood you are looking at because you may think they would go to one, but may go to another. Make sure you confirm. Check the following website

District Attendance Maps

As for the other questions...taxes are far cheaper than our friendly neighbor Charlotte. I have family in Alpharetta Georgia and I know we are cheaper than they are, but not sure to what extent. The property tax rate is .81 (.665 county and .145 city) which means you pay $810 a year per $100,000 worth of property. A $250,000 house would pay $2025. The sales tax is 6.75%.

Not much to do in Indian Trail proper. The Extreme Ice Center is a big hit if you like ice skating/hockey. Bowling in Matthews, just a hop over the county line. Plenty of shopping and food within a 20 mile radius and you can be in uptown Charlotte on a normal day in less than 45 minutes....even less during non-rush hour. Take 485 north for 20 minutes and you are at Concord Mills...a huge shopping area. 485 south 20 minutes and you have Carolina Place mall. Southpark Mall (high end) is in towards the city about 30 minutes.

Great place to live. Wasn't named one of America's top 10 family friendly towns for no reason!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:27 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,367,717 times
Some residents in IT attend Anthioch Elem. and Weddington MS/HS which many consider the best schools in the town. Carolina Courts is a wonderful asset in the town as well.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 PM

136 posts, read 325,901 times
There is a very small group that attend Stallings ES and are in the Porter Ridge cluster too.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:42 PM

14 posts, read 33,938 times
All sounds good. My wife and I are looking to the small town atmosphere, as we are growing a little older the peacefulness and close knit community is a bit more appealing to us. Are there any community pools, parks with playgrounds, etc..? I ask because my daughter is 3 years old.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:01 PM

529 posts, read 1,971,400 times
Check out Lake Park too.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:05 AM

314 posts, read 1,131,643 times
I'm in Fieldstone Farm. You might check that out. Our new pool opens on July 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte