Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
To bring the OP a little closer to Charlotte, I would recommend Belmont. It's very convenient to Charlotte, just a few minutes from 485, has good schools, and while I don't know much about grids and what not, it's overall charming. The downtown is very nice. The same goes for Mt. Holly, Belmont's bigger little brother just on the other side of 85. Just thought I'd throw that out there
I don't know enough about the street layout in those two towns. I also don't know the ratio of the older to newer housing stock, & if the older are mill houses or a mix. I've driven through South Gastonia enough to know that it came close to what she wants. I wasn't trying to push anything, so, yes, she might want to look at those towns as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I don't know enough about the street layout in those two towns. I also don't know the ratio of the older to newer housing stock, & if the older are mill houses or a mix. I've driven through South Gastonia enough to know that it came close to what she wants. I wasn't trying to push anything, so, yes, she might want to look at those towns as well.
I know what you're trying to push LOL, I'm joking, South! We're both in the same boat, then, as far as the lack of general knowledge on grids in these cities. I've driven through both areas (used to work in Mt. Holly years ago) and there's a combination of both. You've got the older, charming homes and then you've got the cookie cutter neighborhoods. And of course, in these parts, you've got mill houses too, but I'm thinking they're not as abundant as in other parts of the county. Of course, with most towns, you'll find more of the older homes close to the center of town.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I know what you're trying to push LOL, I'm joking, South! We're both in the same boat, then, as far as the lack of general knowledge on grids in these cities. I've driven through both areas (used to work in Mt. Holly years ago) and there's a combination of both. You've got the older, charming homes and then you've got the cookie cutter neighborhoods. And of course, in these parts, you've got mill houses too, but I'm thinking they're not as abundant as in other parts of the county. Of course, with most towns, you'll find more of the older homes close to the center of town.
The mill houses are sort of a wild card, IBrake. Some areas have them crammed together & there is no charm there, but other places have them interspersed & variations thereof (3 bedroom mill houses instead of the standard 2 bedrooms). On my street, there are two 3 bedroom versions & two 2 bedroom versions, all on good-sized lots. Both of the 2 bedroom versions have been drastically altered on the exterior, and other houses are interspersed, so they aren't as much of a liability.)

Old 07-02-2010, 08:07 AM

327 posts, read 1,197,504 times
Are there no deals to be had in Midwood these days? I haven't looked at prices there in a while, but I thought $250k could buy you something over there?

Old 07-02-2010, 10:08 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Be careful Mikey, we ARE NOT allowed to post realtor links here!
No, I know... But realtor.com and carolinahome.com (which doesn't let you link a listing easily, which they're really dumb about!) are not sponsored by a specific realtor. We post MLS listings all the time on the LI forums - always did it... and people on the RE forum post MLS listings all the time (i.e. people link their own homes for people to comment on).

But, you're right I should confirm with Sunny - maybe we should only be listing MLS numbers.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
No, I know... But realtor.com and carolinahome.com (which doesn't let you link a listing easily, which they're really dumb about!) are not sponsored by a specific realtor. We post MLS listings all the time on the LI forums - always did it... and people on the RE forum post MLS listings all the time (i.e. people link their own homes for people to comment on).

But, you're right I should confirm with Sunny - maybe we should only be listing MLS numbers.
Mikey, I believe that whether those links are allowed varies by board. I posted one & had it deleted, so had to DM it to the poster. I see them all of the time on certain boards. I believe it's how different moderators interpret the TOS.

Oh well, as it turned out it was over the OP's budget, but did show a very nice house in Gastonia

Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Mikey, I believe that whether those links are allowed varies by board. I posted one & had it deleted, so had to DM it to the poster. I see them all of the time on certain boards. I believe it's how different moderators interpret the TOS.

Oh well, as it turned out it was over the OP's budget, but did show a very nice house in Gastonia
Yeah, that was very nice... at face value the biggest concern is probably how busy that road is.

One thing hurting that price range in our region is the 303k FHA limit... Since most homes are moving with FHA financing, it's hard to move those 400k and up homes. That's going to continue to plague the area for the near term.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:52 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherofPearle View Post
I've been lurking around this very helpful forum for some time now and would love some suggestions. We've been in the Charlotte area for 2 years and are looking for our perfect homeplace.

Specifically, a neighborhood that is level, has a grid pattern, sidewalks, and a tree canopy is ideal. Also, we prefer staying inside the 485 loop.
We've looked at these fine places:
4th Ward, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood, Noda, Beverly Woods. They look wonderful, but I think they might be a little out of our price range. Wilmore has potential, and I've spoken to some residents. They seem satisfied, yet wary. And they all have at least one dog. Bad allergies prevent pets for us, and dogs are strongly suggested right now. 5-10 years from now, I KNOW I'll be sorry.

Obviously good schools, low crime, friendly neighbors, lots of (small) kids - I have a preschooler - are a major plus. Hey, who doesn't want that, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway...

We'd like to keep the price around $250,000. Or less.
Thank you for any help you can provide!
I can only speak for Uptown. We have livevd in 4th Ward since 2001...and would not live any where else in the Charlotte area. We are zoned for Myers Park (#18 high school in the US...not NC). Uptown ZIP 28202...has the lowest crime in the entire city...due to all the police presence (car patrol, foot patrol & bike patrol)...and -3- police stations...main & 2 sub stations. Now is a good time to buy in Uptown...cause when the economy turns around...prices in Uptown will go right back up (IMO). Good luck!

Go Uptown on a weekend...you see more & more familes & strollers being pushed around Uptown & 4th Ward...not just a place for singles anymore.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yeah, that was very nice... at face value the biggest concern is probably how busy that road is.

One thing hurting that price range in our region is the 303k FHA limit... Since most homes are moving with FHA financing, it's hard to move those 400k and up homes. That's going to continue to plague the area for the near term.
Prices are lower in Gastonia. I think that what pushes that one up is the lot size, to a large degree. (.9 in the city) I had no clue that it was that large, & assumed it to be a fairly standard lot (because of a house on the next street over being in back of that.

I was on New Hope in rush hour. It was busy enough that I had to watch the road, but not so busy that I couldn't notice the house & make a mental note. When it isn't rush hour, no problem. Keep in mind that on the north side of Franklin, New Hope provides the main entrances to a good-sized mall. (That's probably why I mispoke myself in that earlier post.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:08 PM

43 posts, read 155,397 times
so, for those of us that are new around here... what are mill houses? and is there something generically wrong with them in terms of construction (quality, floorplan), or is it just that they were built close enough together that they tend to be an old-school "cookie-cutter" neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte