Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 10,881 times

Advertisements

I'm 30 yr old single mom of a 8 year old looking for a nice area that's pretty close to decent public schools fitness and shopping. I'm looking to finish up my nursing at a community college (preferably), and I currently work in the bursar's office at a large University in Baltimore, MD. I'm african american, and I'd like to live in a mixed area with and a stong sense of community. Also it would be great to enroll my son in various activities whether its sports or science as well have some me time with yoga, zumba, and pole dance. I'm planning to rent only.Would this be the area for me? If so, where about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4beauty View Post
I'm 30 yr old single mom of a 8 year old looking for a nice area that's pretty close to decent public schools fitness and shopping. I'm looking to finish up my nursing at a community college (preferably), and I currently work in the bursar's office at a large University in Baltimore, MD. I'm african american, and I'd like to live in a mixed area with and a stong sense of community. Also it would be great to enroll my son in various activities whether its sports or science as well have some me time with yoga, zumba, and pole dance. I'm planning to rent only.Would this be the area for me? If so, where about?

You might like Matthews, which is a nice liittle town on Charlotte's southeast border. They have great schools and a nice hospital.

You could also look at the University area located in northeast Charlotte. The Mallard Creek area near the University has many nice places to live and there is a large hospital next to the University.

Best of luck with your decision!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
What's zumba?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Certainly there are neighborhoods in and around Baltimore that fall into these requirements?

If you tell us *why* you're looking to make a move (to Charlotte or anywhere), we might be able to provide better answers...

Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 AM

533 posts, read 1,833,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
What's zumba?
zumba is a group exercise class that involves cardio dance with a latin influence. quite fun! they offer it at most gyms including the Y. i prefer cardio funk and turbokick myself, but zumba is a fun workout, too.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM

37 posts, read 89,052 times
The Mallard Creek area (University Research Park) would be great. I live in Arbor Hills and we have pretty much everything within walking distance (Trader Joe's, new bakery opening, Rita's, doctor's offices, Starbucks, etc.). There's Gotta Yoga studio as well only 5 minutes away and a new yoga practice that will open this fall, Charlotte Family Yoga. UNCC and CMC hospital are only 10 minutes away. Ikea and the Concord Mills area are also 10 minutes away. There's also the Mallard Creek Rec center (5 min away) and the park.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
zumba is a group exercise class that involves cardio dance with a latin influence. quite fun! they offer it at most gyms including the Y. i prefer cardio funk and turbokick myself, but zumba is a fun workout, too.
This craze has been sweeping the nation for about a year now. My friend in Pennsylvania swears by it - and she looks amazing! Haven't heard of it being offered much in Charlotte yet however.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM

224 posts, read 458,007 times
Quote:
Central Piedmont Community College and UNC Charlotte have a great nursing program as does Queens College and Mercy Hospital. You have plenty of options in that regard. The University area might be a good choice for location and proximity to town and activities for your son.
You may want to look a little East of there in Cabarrus County or North toward Huntersville for schools. Plenty of gyms and health clubs offering your specified classes in all of those geographic areas.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchenette View Post
Central Piedmont Community College and UNC Charlotte have a great nursing program as does Queens College and Mercy Hospital. You have plenty of options in that regard. The University area might be a good choice for location and proximity to town and activities for your son.
You may want to look a little East of there in Cabarrus County or North toward Huntersville for schools. Plenty of gyms and health clubs offering your specified classes in all of those geographic areas.

Except that getting into nursing programs in and around Charlotte right now is very tough. Many people have gone back to school in this recession and there are waiting lists to enroll in all programs. Our OP is better off finishing her degree where she is before moving here.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 PM

812 posts, read 1,906,980 times
I was going to comment about the nursing wait lists...it is very competitive and people I know are waiting for several years to get into the programs. So if you are already in a program I would complete it there otherwise plan to put your plans on hold for several years before even starting at a school here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte