U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,425,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The tendency toward more liberal agendas right now will drive more and more natives from the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,980,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Frank, it IS more conservative when compared to other cities in the northeast for sure.

However, with the influx of so many folks in recent years, especially from the northeast, it is less conservative now than it has ever been.

The tendency toward more liberal agendas right now will drive more and more natives from the area.
Well, the "progressives" amongst us haven't realized (yet) what their votes are doing to the decisions being made in this town (b/c of the folks who are being elected into office - and the agenda of the people who are being hired at both the city and county level).

Folks who moved here without a clue about the history of politics in this region will be leaving, too, once they realize just how much of their tax money is going to entitlement programs (and a mandated to be dysfunctional school system) rather than infrastructure improvement.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,160,922 times
Mind you, I live in the 'burbs....so take my vote with a grain of salt. I would say the area is becoming more Democratic, but I wouldn't say liberal. Where I live, it's pretty much still very conservative (even with people from other areas moving here).

Old 06-25-2010, 11:26 AM

28 posts, read 60,798 times
I think it's important to say that Democrat does not equal liberal/progressive in our current political system (nor does Republican necessarily equal conservative). I describe myself as a liberal-progressive and while the Republicans aren't in the least appealing, I wouldn't say the Dems are all that much better.

That said, in my experience in Charlotte, many conservatives I know think Charlotte is becoming liberal and going in the crapper because of it while many liberals think Charlotte is behind the times and has a long way to go on progressive issues. That leads me to believe that Charlotte is pretty moderate.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,980,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciebaby View Post
I think it's important to say that Democrat does not equal liberal/progressive in our current political system (nor does Republican necessarily equal conservative). I describe myself as a liberal-progressive and while the Republicans aren't in the least appealing, I wouldn't say the Dems are all that much better.

That said, in my experience in Charlotte, many conservatives I know think Charlotte is becoming liberal and going in the crapper because of it while many liberals think Charlotte is behind the times and has a long way to go on progressive issues. That leads me to believe that Charlotte is pretty moderate.
Good observations. Actually, this whole state is a Democrat state, as is Charlotte, and has been since the Reconstruction Period (as far as registration).

Typically, NC voters vote for the person, rather than the party and cross party lines. However, this last election was a sweep for anyone who was on the Democratic ticket, as evidenced by such miscreants as Nick Mackey being swept into office on Obama's coat tails, as it were.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:23 PM

82 posts, read 235,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Good observations. Actually, this whole state is a Democrat state, as is Charlotte, and has been since the Reconstruction Period (as far as registration).

Typically, NC voters vote for the person, rather than the party and cross party lines. However, this last election was a sweep for anyone who was on the Democratic ticket, as evidenced by such miscreants as Nick Mackey being swept into office on Obama's coat tails, as it were.
Hopefully that trend will be corrected come Nov. Can't afford much more of the democratic taxation. Still not sure why they hate the working man.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM

26 posts, read 99,828 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by cec311 View Post
Hopefully that trend will be corrected come Nov. Can't afford much more of the democratic taxation. Still not sure why they hate the working man.
Amen!

And I would definitely say Charlotte is liberal because the people vote Democrat, and there is really no such thing as a moderate Democrat anymore. Democrats now lean far left and the Republican party has become too progressive.

Unfortunately, I don't see the city changing since the black community grows larger in this city every year. They NEVER vote Republican and never will, and will only continue to demand more entitlement programs.

I see the city following the same path as St. Louis, Detroit, and Cincinnati, which is why I'm getting the hell out while I'm still able.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-26-2010 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 01:49 PM

26 posts, read 99,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciebaby View Post
...I describe myself as a liberal-progressive...many liberals think Charlotte is behind the times and has a long way to go on progressive issues.
Please elaborate

Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 PM

199 posts, read 885,531 times
The city itself is more liberal, probably b/c of higher minority population
http://www.city-data.com/county/Meck...County-NC.html
Kerry/Edwards (Democratic): 51.6%
Bush/Cheney (Republican): 48.0%

When you look at the City-Data infos for the surrounding counties, folks are pretty conservative around here:

http://www.city-data.com/county/Gaston_County-NC.html
Bush/Cheney (Republican): 67.8%
Kerry/Edwards (Democratic): 31.8%

http://www.city-data.com/county/Union_County-NC.html
Bush/Cheney (Republican): 70.2%
Kerry/Edwards (Democratic): 29.5%

Don't think the numbers changed that much over the last 5 years.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 PM

604 posts, read 1,130,609 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckroush View Post
Unfortunately, I don't see the city changing since the black community grows larger in this city every year. They NEVER vote Republican and never will, and will only continue to demand more entitlement programs.
Does this mean taxes are going up?????

YES!!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-26-2010 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or