U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 05:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,941,151 times

Advertisements

I laugh at the notion there is any meaningful difference between the Republican and Democratic parties and that a vote for one or the other means anything now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 19,381 times
I sure am glad I asked! The reason I asked was when I posted the question about taxes, what is taxed, it became clear that this city has turned more progressive. This is really not what I wanted to hear! Born and raised in Chicago, I cannot swallow what the progressive/liberal ideas have done to that city. I'm sorry, but It's a damn shame that one of the original colonies has a major city that has turned this way! And those who think the liberals are for the poor and down trotted are foolish in beliving this. Look at every liberal ran major city in America and what economic condition they are in today, and even before the economy went sour, they had economic problems, like LA, Detroit, NY, ect... Liberals are the ones who have kept the minority population from moving up! People have forgotten history, and it has purposely been wiped clean from history books, please read it before it's too late!!!

It's not a question between left or right, rather, it's a question between right and wrong!

PEOPLE!!!!! Learn and read history!!!!!! Restore HONOR!!!!!! Restore our Constitution, our pricipals, our ORIGINAL American values, and our true heros, the founding fathers.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll stay where I'm at.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:28 PM

199 posts, read 886,572 times
Why don't you look into some of these places? http://www.city-data.com/top2/co16.html

Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgballer View Post
Why don't you look into some of these places? http://www.city-data.com/top2/co16.html
Spoiler
I love posts that contains city-data data
I gotta spread reps

Old 06-25-2010, 07:38 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,135,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgballer View Post
The city itself is more liberal, probably b/c of higher minority population
http://www.city-data.com/county/Meck...County-NC.html
Kerry/Edwards (Democratic): 51.6%
Bush/Cheney (Republican): 48.0%

When you look at the City-Data infos for the surrounding counties, folks are pretty conservative around here:

http://www.city-data.com/county/Gaston_County-NC.html
Bush/Cheney (Republican): 67.8%
Kerry/Edwards (Democratic): 31.8%

http://www.city-data.com/county/Union_County-NC.html
Bush/Cheney (Republican): 70.2%
Kerry/Edwards (Democratic): 29.5%

Don't think the numbers changed that much over the last 5 years.

Sorry. Invalid oldy moldy info.

Plus, you are not factoring in what I mentioned earlier: this is a DEMOCRAT state = as far as registered voters. People cross over political lines to vote - historically.

However, Charlotte in particular has seen a HUGE number of folks migrating to the region who are from heavily DEM states/cities, and they voted in a block in this last election. They had no idea who they were even voting for in many cases. You can't straight PARTY here to get the best candidates on LOCAL elections. But that is what happened in this last election.

You are gonna have to do a LOT more research b/f you can explain why heavily DEM counties used to vote for Jesse Helms, okay? It isn't as simple as you are making it.

Discussing the election results prior to this last election is not gonna give you the right picture, and looking at the last elections results without examining the last 60 years of trends here in this state is not gonna give you the answer, either.

I think thousands of folks moved to NC without having the faintest clue what the mindset of the average person is whose family has lived here for two hundred years. The politics in the east, basically tobacco money in years past, are also very different than the politics in the west of this state.

Charlotte is an unknown factor right now, as the people who moved here and voted DEM in the last election are going to have to do some real soul searching as to what that DEM vote meant locally.

And as far as GOP . . . the party cannot be defined HERE IN NC by the ultra conservative portion of the party. Most folks, whether registered DEM or REP are moderates here. PERIOD.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,135,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I laugh at the notion there is any meaningful difference between the Republican and Democratic parties and that a vote for one or the other means anything now.
It definitely means something at the LOCAL level, b/c at the local level you are voting for a person, not a party - and that person is gonna be spending your tax dollars.

Folks need to get it straight that here in Charlotte, all the GOOD CANDIDATES are not to be found in "one party" - whether GOP or DEM. Splitting tickets based on the PERSON (regardless of party affiliation) is IMPERATIVE.

You see what we got this last election . . . and Nick Mackey is just one sorry-arsed example.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:02 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,728,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Charlotte is an unknown factor right now, as the people who moved here and voted DEM in the last election are going to have to do some real soul searching as to what that DEM vote meant locally.
Ani--you're giving more credit to the average voter, that votes a party line,than is due. IMHO, the "average" voter doesn't think that deeply.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:08 AM

604 posts, read 1,133,483 times
Ani - Did you say Nick Mackey???

Did someone say Nick Mackey???

Lied on his State of NC Bar Exam application?

Wanted to be Sheriff.

Didn't pay his taxes multiple times (fed and state)

He was suspended from CMPD in 1991 for playing certain music too loudly in his car during an off-duty job.

He was suspended by CMPD for conduct unbecoming and unsatisfactory job performance when his supervisor on multiple occasions in 2002 improperly recorded Sergeant N.V. Mackey’s duty time on daily duty status reports. The improper recording of Sergeant Mackey’s time allowed Sergeant Mackey to receive credit for hours worked which he in fact did not work.

He was reprimanded by the North Carolina State Bar for poor quality service and overcharging in 2008.

He was reprimanded by the North Carolina State Bar for Reprimand from NC Bar for falsifying information on his bankruptcy petition in 2008.

He was reprimanded by the North Carolina State Bar for professional misconduct (falsifying information) less then 1 year ago.

He has claimed bankruptcy. The judge issued the default judgment against Mackey & Associates for $85,094 for breach of contract and $12,764 for attorneys’ fees. The judge’s ruling also calls for Mackey to pay interest until the judgment is paid in full.

He no pay his bills!!!

And finally to get me off of this band wagon.....results of a survey just released by the non-partisan organization North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research. Slick Nick was ranked 115th of 119 NC House members surveyed, Rep. Mackey is ranked as the least effective Democratic House member and one of the five least effective members of the North Carolina State House of Representatives.

And he wants NC to legalize weed.

I could not help myself!!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:05 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,124,398 times
Well, bscak, gotta tell ya, as one ALSO born & raised in the city of Chicago, it is not the liberals that have corrupted the city government, it is (and always has been since the first Mayor Daley) the influence of the Mob. However, that thought aside, if you want conservatives, let me tell you about WORKING in a conservative state:

There are absolutely NO state laws that protect you, as a worker, in this state. They can (and do) fire you just because they don't like how you look that day. They do not have to give a reason for firing you and they can do so at the drop of a hat.

Federal law protects you in certain things, yes. However, if you file a claim, you have to go through the state-appointed judges first. The chances of you recovering anything are slim (very slim) and, if, by some miracle you do, there is always rule #1. And, as long as they (meaning your employer) are smart about it, there is nothing that you can do.

You see the laws require case law to be enforced. Case law has to be published. So, NC has cases, yes. But, those cases that benefit the worker somehow don't get published so they cannot be used. Thus, it is more difficult to bring cases against employers. When you can't bring a case against an employer, guess who looses? YOU. The employee.

There is also no ability to enforce doctor's orders when an employee comes back to work after having suffered an accident or injury. Say the doctor says specifically that the employee cannot lift 50 pounds. If the employer pushes the matter and the employee does not lift his 50 pounds...guess what? the employer will find some other reason to bring in rule #1. And, YOU are out of a job with no recourse.

This goes on and on. This class that I am taking in Employment Law is very interesting. While creating a legal memo on a fictious case, I found this to be true. There is very little case law in NC to support the employee on any level.

THAT, my friends, is what working in a conservative state will get you. Absolutely no protection against corporations or even mom-and-pop businesses that just want to exploit the worker. And, that has not been lost on these companies moving here.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 AM

830 posts, read 1,317,650 times
Not the "restore our Constitution" garbage again...restoring the Constitution to what? What you believe? The original, without any amendments?

It's the same nonsense as "Activist Judges" line...a judge is only an "Activist" if they rule differently than you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or