U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:03 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,127,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBF View Post
We are moving to the area (actually Fort Mill) from Plano, TX. It is hard to tell from the people but I would say that the Charlotte Observer has a "liberal" slant compared to the Dallas Morning News. That is just a gut reaction in the first month or so. I tend to be fiscally conservative and socially moderate-conservative depending on the issue.

I have to say SC politics will be interesting - I like Nikki Haley and Lindsey Graham...but the other "win" reminded me of my roots in Chicago politics.

Hey - shout out to Chicago Cubs Fan...been a Cubbies fan since the 60's. Ron Santo was our neighbor
Welcome to the Carolinas! Yes, SC politics will remind you of Chicago, only with a "redneck" slant. you'll see what I mean when you get here.

I promise... this is an ultra-conservative area. They try to hide it and the Observer just picks up articles from elsewhere which is why they appear to be liberal. Just remember what I wrote about being employed here...that applies to SC as well.

and, OT, LOVE Ron Santo...we (Cubs fans) are growing here....however, you do need to know that Knights Stadium in Fort Mill is a feeder for the White Sox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:55 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,431,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It definitely means something at the LOCAL level, b/c at the local level you are voting for a person, not a party - and that person is gonna be spending your tax dollars.

Folks need to get it straight that here in Charlotte, all the GOOD CANDIDATES are not to be found in "one party" - whether GOP or DEM. Splitting tickets based on the PERSON (regardless of party affiliation) is IMPERATIVE.

You see what we got this last election . . . and Nick Mackey is just one sorry-arsed example.
I've been talking about this to anyone who will listen for what seems like forever... Straight line voting is a serious mistake. The lines have blurred so much that you can't call a party conservative or liberal anymore - thinking that way and voting straight line is just going to compound our issues. They switch parties, they talk out both sides of their mouths, and they use fear/promises/words/words/words with one goal and one goal only - your vote.

I especially loathe the self proclaimed ultra conservative - whether they are tea baggers or the ones preaching things to get us back to "the founding principles of the constitution"... There's no substance and it's just blathering and borderline hate. I know that it's not much better on the liberal side (politics is what it is), but the fanaticism aspect makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Either way - door is open for the GOP to scare and make promises for us to vote for them, just like it was for the Dems not too long ago. Yet, I have absolutely no confidence in either party to do anything right.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 PM

78 posts, read 163,108 times
conservative

Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,154,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I've been talking about this to anyone who will listen for what seems like forever... Straight line voting is a serious mistake. The lines have blurred so much that you can't call a party conservative or liberal anymore - thinking that way and voting straight line is just going to compound our issues. They switch parties, they talk out both sides of their mouths, and they use fear/promises/words/words/words with one goal and one goal only - your vote.

I especially loathe the self proclaimed ultra conservative - whether they are tea baggers or the ones preaching things to get us back to "the founding principles of the constitution"... There's no substance and it's just blathering and borderline hate. I know that it's not much better on the liberal side (politics is what it is), but the fanaticism aspect makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Either way - door is open for the GOP to scare and make promises for us to vote for them, just like it was for the Dems not too long ago. Yet, I have absolutely no confidence in either party to do anything right.
I don't trust either party to "do the right thing" - and I don't think either party has exclusivity on "the best candidates."

The thing is, however (and this is a nuance missed by newcomers) - the OLD BOY NETWORK at the state level is DEMOCRAT. Now, there are some who believe that is the best thing. This is b/c of a very long history of higher DEM registration in the state overall, and b/c of the legacy of tobacco money, in the east in particular.

This means decisions at the General Assembly are almost always dominated by the DEM party. At least with a GOP Gov, this forces some balance into the situation. But since the old-timers get the committee chairman positions, legislation can be completely buried and never leave committee if it is an issue that has the DEMs pitted against GOP reps, particularly GOP reps from the western part of the state (look at the budget and tax collection and re-distribution and one can see how CLT underwrites the state but then gets the shaft on appropriations b/c the eastern DEMS dominate).

Folks in Charlotte need to do a lot more than read about local politics. They need to get educated about STATE politics and how the state is dominated by eastern concerns, wh/ is why many counties in the west send GOP reps to the General Assembly even tho the voter registration is higher for DEMs.

It is not as clear cut as things are in many other states, so it is a good thing when newcomers spend some time discussing this and learning "how business gets done" in this state. It is complicated here . . .

Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 AM

604 posts, read 1,133,786 times
Lets split the city.

North of Charlotte is Liberal.

South of Charlotte is Conservative.

I bet the majority of folks who are saying conservative have never been North of Charlotte or looked at the city's or county's top 10 budget expenditures.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:03 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,127,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
Lets split the city.

North of Charlotte is Liberal.

South of Charlotte is Conservative.

I bet the majority of folks who are saying conservative have never been North of Charlotte or looked at the city's or county's top 10 budget expenditures.
Sorry. I live in north Charlotte. I am currently studying the decisions of our judges concerning worker's (lack of) rights and protections. I stand by what I say: conservative.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:07 AM

604 posts, read 1,133,786 times
Oh, the right to work state thing. Yes, I have heard you can be fired for any reason in this state.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:12 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybaran View Post
Why would I want to leave Charlotte? It's the best Northern city I've ever lived in!! I love it here, so long as the backwards locals stay out of my way and keep moving out!! Love Charlotte..the BLUE city!!!

YOU are kind of newcomer we wish we could have filtered out at the border Too bad we can't build a wall high enough to catch your kind before they infiltrate.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,431,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
YOU are kind of newcomer we wish we could have filtered out at the border Too bad we can't build a wall high enough to catch your kind before they infiltrate.
Many of us transplants would agree...

Don't let them get your goat!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:34 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,170,778 times
Why do I feel like this whole thread was a setup from the start? I think we got trolled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or