U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,993,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
And let's not forget that the Democratic machine in this state comes from down east, and a lot of those down east Democrats were self-proclaimed Jessiecrats, so that tells you how liberal North Carolina is.
What's ironic is that Helms and Gantt both represented metro Charlotte. Gantt being a Charlotte ex-mayor and Helms being from Monroe. Eventhough Gantt won Charlotte itself, the state as a whole worshipped Helms. I can still remember one of the tv ads where Helms reminded the "white folks" (Helms' words, not mine) to come out and vote for him. By today's standards, doing such a thing would have been political suicide. However, such tactics worked well for Helms back in the 90s. And you are correct, it was most certainly the "Jessecrats" down east that got him in.

Helms vs Gantt is a perfect example of how Charlotte is in conflict with its own surrounding counties politically and socially. Also, it shows that a democrat in Mecklenburg is not the same as a democrat down east. Mecklenburg democrats lean left, while down east rural dems are very conservative. This is something that newcomers to this state need to learn before they ever register to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM

295 posts, read 452,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscak View Post
Just as the post say's, is this area more liberal or conservative with the way things "work".
The area is conservative but speaks the liberal language. My take on the conservative v/s liberal is whats conservative today is going to evolve into liberal tomorrow. Nothing stays conservative for ever!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 PM

104 posts, read 154,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, bscak, gotta tell ya, as one ALSO born & raised in the city of Chicago, it is not the liberals that have corrupted the city government, it is (and always has been since the first Mayor Daley) the influence of the Mob. However, that thought aside, if you want conservatives, let me tell you about WORKING in a conservative state:

There are absolutely NO state laws that protect you, as a worker, in this state. They can (and do) fire you just because they don't like how you look that day. They do not have to give a reason for firing you and they can do so at the drop of a hat.

Federal law protects you in certain things, yes. However, if you file a claim, you have to go through the state-appointed judges first. The chances of you recovering anything are slim (very slim) and, if, by some miracle you do, there is always rule #1. And, as long as they (meaning your employer) are smart about it, there is nothing that you can do.

You see the laws require case law to be enforced. Case law has to be published. So, NC has cases, yes. But, those cases that benefit the worker somehow don't get published so they cannot be used. Thus, it is more difficult to bring cases against employers. When you can't bring a case against an employer, guess who looses? YOU. The employee.

There is also no ability to enforce doctor's orders when an employee comes back to work after having suffered an accident or injury. Say the doctor says specifically that the employee cannot lift 50 pounds. If the employer pushes the matter and the employee does not lift his 50 pounds...guess what? the employer will find some other reason to bring in rule #1. And, YOU are out of a job with no recourse.

This goes on and on. This class that I am taking in Employment Law is very interesting. While creating a legal memo on a fictious case, I found this to be true. There is very little case law in NC to support the employee on any level.

THAT, my friends, is what working in a conservative state will get you. Absolutely no protection against corporations or even mom-and-pop businesses that just want to exploit the worker. And, that has not been lost on these companies moving here.
Sorry, but I don't see why an employer has to give you a reason and/or monetary compensation to let you go. If you work for a crappy employer, find one that isn't crappy. I'm perfectly happy with my job and my boss, and I'm sure many others are too. Just because we haven't become France in terms of employment law doesn't mean it's the apocalypse.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 PM

104 posts, read 154,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
Charlotte City Council Members

Anthony Foxx (D) - Mayor
Patrick Cannon (D) - At Large
Edwin B. Peacock (R) - At Large
David Howard (D) - At Large
Patsy B. Kinsey (D) - District 1
James E. Mitchell (D) - District 2
Warren Turner (D) - District 3
Michael D. Barnes (D) - District 4
Nancy G. Carter (D) - District 5
Andy Dulin (R) - District 6
Warren Cooksey (R) - District 7

8 Dems and 3 Rep.
Also, take a map of the districts and how they voted, Democrat or Republican. Then overlay a map of household income. You will see a VERY direct correlation. You will also see the Republican / higher household income area is basically a pie wedge on the south side of the city. The rest of the city? Pretty much all liberal.

The people with more conservative views are being pushed further and further south of the city. It's interesting.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:53 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
Also, take a map of the districts and how they voted, Democrat or Republican. Then overlay a map of household income. You will see a VERY direct correlation......
Luv, the districts are deliberately laid out every 10 years to guarantee these results. Nobody is being pushed anywhere. 5 of these council people ran unopposed due to the extreme gerrymandering of these districts.

I also complete disagree that D = liberal and R = conservative, whatever that is supposed to mean, in local elections. instead of worrying about the party these people belong to, why not ask why they all took a taxpayer paid junket that is against state law? They claimed it wasn't to perform city business so then why are the tax payers paying for it? Is this conservative or liberal? I don't know, but because people are too interested in nonsensical arguments over ideology, they continue to misgovern and get away with this nonsense.

Well....., Americans deserve the government they vote for.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:10 PM

14 posts, read 26,925 times
Quote:
Charlotte City Council Members

Anthony Foxx (D) - Mayor
Patrick Cannon (D) - At Large
Edwin B. Peacock (R) - At Large
David Howard (D) - At Large
Patsy B. Kinsey (D) - District 1
James E. Mitchell (D) - District 2
Warren Turner (D) - District 3
Michael D. Barnes (D) - District 4
Nancy G. Carter (D) - District 5
Andy Dulin (R) - District 6
Warren Cooksey (R) - District 7

8 Dems and 3 Rep.
That really doesnt mean much. The South used to be pretty much all Democrat. You still see democrats elected at local and state levels, but usually they are Conservative Democrats.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
They should have from council person and up all wear Nascar Jackets with all
the big corp names on it.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:49 AM

604 posts, read 1,131,293 times
OK, I get it!

Just because someone is a Democrat doesn't mean they are liberal.

But I have never heard of a liberal Republican.

I had a Friend call me a Democrat one time because I told him Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin did not speak for the majority of Republican party.

After listening to FOX news, Rush and WBT all day, he thinks his point of view is the only one that counts. I get it he is on the far right, I am more in the middle. No excuse for his disparaging comments toward me.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:56 AM

604 posts, read 1,131,293 times
CONSERVATIVES - believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense. Believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals.

Conservative policies generally emphasize empowerment of the individual to solve problems.

LIBERALS - believe in governmental action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all, and that it is the duty of the State to alleviate social ills and to protect civil liberties and individual and human rights. Believe the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need. Believe that people are basically good.

Liberal policies generally emphasize the need for the government to solve people's problems.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
Spoiler
Quote:
CONSERVATIVES - believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, traditional American values and a strong national defense. Believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals.

Conservative policies generally emphasize empowerment of the individual to solve problems.

LIBERALS - believe in governmental action to achieve equal opportunity and equality for all, and that it is the duty of the State to alleviate social ills and to protect civil liberties and individual and human rights. Believe the role of the government should be to guarantee that no one is in need. Believe that people are basically good.

Liberal policies generally emphasize the need for the government to solve people's problems.
Under that definition, I guess that every country in the free world is "liberal" (except for the USA anyway)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-30-2010 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or