U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,641,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
fresh lobster at Maine prices
You can't get both here...lol

Cheapest I've seen lobster is like 14.99/lb...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 09:35 AM

763 posts, read 644,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You can't get both here...lol

Cheapest I've seen lobster is like 14.99/lb...
I was just in Bar Harbor, Maine and Halifax, Nova Scotia. I did not see cheap lobster there either. Is it hidden for locals there? I paid $18 for a lobster roll with chips. It was absolutely nothing special. I suppose it is like living on the Gulf Coast and finding that shrimp is more expensive than here in Charlotte because the shrimp on the Gulf Coast is shipped to the Carolinas and visa versa. These retailers have it all figured out. When I lived in the country of Panama, I could stop a shrimp boat and trade a case of beer for 10 pounds of shrimp. I suppose those days are gone. Oh yea, there aren't many shrimp boats in Lake Norman either.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM

224 posts, read 625,335 times
I miss seasonal, farm fresh food in general - maybe I haven't found the right places yet, but it seems a lot of people down here settle for chains & other sub-par dining options. More specifically, there's a toasted sandwich called the Red Onion in Burlington VT - fresh baked honey oat bread, sun dried tomato mayonnaise, local Granny Smith apples, turkey, smoked cheddar, Vermont Smoke & Cure bacon, & red onions. Even if the ingredients are similar, I just can't replicate it. On the fancier end, Michael's on the Hill in Waterbury, VT has unbeatable foie gras with honeyed brioche & baked pears - I have yet to find it's equal.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,200,036 times
I'm sure when y'all say 'pork roll, egg and cheese from NJ' you mean taylor ham.....NJ-ites don't know what pork roll is, even tho it's the same thing and it's one of the first things I'll get when I go back to NJ, a BEC or THEC on a delicious bagel. man I miss those.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:23 PM

319 posts, read 501,372 times
On the weekends I crave a nice doner kebab like we had back in London.
I dont think there is any food I miss more

Old 11-06-2011, 02:33 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I'm sure when y'all say 'pork roll, egg and cheese from NJ' you mean taylor ham.....NJ-ites don't know what pork roll is, even tho it's the same thing and it's one of the first things I'll get when I go back to NJ, a BEC or THEC on a delicious bagel. man I miss those.
I assume that you're referring to Case Pork Roll.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:59 PM

467 posts, read 626,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I believe we are talking about Charlotte.
Please, certain parts of Charlotte as compared to Chapel Hill are one in the same.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:13 PM

763 posts, read 644,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwoodward View Post
people down here settle for chains & other sub-par dining options.
"People down here" is such an endearing phrase that we love to hear.

Yep, we're just not big city folks like you Vermont people. We eat whatever they give us at Po Folks or Bojangles. We have no independent restaurants. All of our vegetables are served out of cans and all those things you mentioned that you have in Vermont like smoked cheddar cheese, Granny Smith apples, turkey, and red onions are simply unheard of in these here parts.

Maybe you can give us the receipt for one of those red onion sandwiches for Christmas? Sounds real yummy. LOL!

Last edited by Stella Artois; 11-06-2011 at 03:22 PM..

Old 11-06-2011, 03:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,200,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I assume that you're referring to Case Pork Roll.
I don't know what that is....this is what I'm referring to:

Pork roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mmmm mmmmmmmm good.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:20 PM

714 posts, read 2,026,869 times
In-N-Out burger. Oh please, oh please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte