Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 AM

23 posts, read 50,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Stop! You're making me hungry!

I had forgotten Izzy's - yeah - love those pickles.

UDF - the peanut butter chocolate chip ice cream with that terrific salty chewy streak of peanut butter running through the chocolate chip ice cream.

Never went to J Alexanders - what's up with them?

I miss the city and county parks - the WPA was a wonderful thing and it created gorgeous parks throughout Cincy. The county parks were a great mixture of nature, sports and recreation, and nooks and crannies where you could read, lunch, and contemplate.
J Alex's has the BEST carrot cake in the world and I miss the parks as well, I lived in Mt Lookout and the scenery just from my balcony was amazing.
I'm thinking about driving back for the 4th just to EAT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,392 times
Mt. Lookout is a gorgeous neighborhood, especially with Alms and Ault Parks nearby.

Have a fun 4th!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzc View Post
J Alex's has the BEST carrot cake in the world and I miss the parks as well, I lived in Mt Lookout and the scenery just from my balcony was amazing.
I'm thinking about driving back for the 4th just to EAT

Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 AM

My Dad was in the Army, before we lived in Ohio we lived in Rhose Island: Woonsocket and Bristol. We could get the best clam cakes in Bristol, down near the bay. We'd get a big bag of 'em, a bit greasy on the outside, and walk out on one of the old piers to eat. We called it Shakey Acres 'cause it was so old it would creak and rock. We'd dangle our legs over the side and munch and enjoy the salt air and the view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Man, I'd kill for an Ipswitch fried clam basket.
I'm going to visit a friend in Rhode Island next month and this is at the top of my list for things to do!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 AM

Oh yeah! The less Graeters you eat, the more for me.

I've tried Blue Bell, as others have recommended it, and it tastes like drugstore ice cream (you know, you're desperate and the only thing open is the CVS so you go in and buy whatever they have).

But, happily, there's something for everyone!! Viva ice cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Graeters? Really? I worked in Columbus, OH, for about a year and the locals went on and on about Graeters. Personally, I like Blue Bell in the carton way better than any of the Graeters I had in OH.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 PM

550 posts, read 1,808,395 times
There are good bagels at Bennington Bagels...he's from NY.
Also, the Sunrise Bagels in Mooresville imports the water from NY.

There's the best Chinese I've ever had at Rice Fun in Mooresville

Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 PM

358 posts, read 982,911 times
To whoever said "real Texas barbecue," I'm wondering what you mean by that, exactly. North Carolina pulled pork (which we natives refer as barbecue) and ribs can't be beat.

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzc View Post
3-way chili (spaghetti, sauce and cheese) and a cheese coney from Skyline chili in Cincinnati. Not a day goes by that i don't miss the food in Ohio:-(.
Can you not just get that at Steak n' Shake?

Anyway, one of my buddies is from Philly. He says that Geno's and Pat's are overrated and that there are some better Philly Cheesesteak places. Got friends from Chicago who are always arguing about which pizza place is the best up there.

I wish I could travel and hang out with Adam Richman from Man v. Food and eat everywhere he eats.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:40 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
To whoever said "real Texas barbecue," I'm wondering what you mean by that, exactly. North Carolina pulled pork (which we natives refer as barbecue) and ribs can't be beat.

Also...

Anyway, one of my buddies is from Philly. He says that Geno's and Pat's are overrated and that there are some better Philly Cheesesteak places. Got friends from Chicago who are always arguing about which pizza place is the best up there.

I wish I could travel and hang out with Adam Richman from Man v. Food and eat everywhere he eats.
Geno's & Pat's have turned into tourist traps. There are better places. There's a steak & hoagie shop in Shelby with acceptable sandwiches. I really can't complain. It would be nice if Amoroso's rolls were available here, but I'll live. Amoroso's Baking

Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 PM

239 posts, read 877,767 times
Awesome Puerto Rican bread...

Old 06-30-2010, 12:34 PM

Referring to Skyline Chili and Cincinnati cheese coneys

[quote=OMGosh Josh;14829922
[/QUOTE]

No no no nooooooo. No. They are unique. The buns, the dogs, the mustard, the chili, the cheese and how finely it's shredded, the onions (so finely chopped it's like they're grated). The spaghetti, the beans, the oyster crackers. The seasonings in the chili! Noooooooo. <sigh>

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 PM

358 posts, read 982,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcornwell View Post
Referring to Skyline Chili and Cincinnati cheese coneys

No no no nooooooo. No. They are unique. The buns, the dogs, the mustard, the chili, the cheese and how finely it's shredded, the onions (so finely chopped it's like they're grated). The spaghetti, the beans, the oyster crackers. The seasonings in the chili! Noooooooo. <sigh>
Rofl, looks the same to me. But I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte