U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,763,237 times

Advertisements

Hello, I noticed that Peak Fitness seems to be the predominant chain fitness center in Charlotte. In Boston I go to Gold's Gym, and like the fact that when I travel my membership is good at any Gold's in the US. Seems the Gold's in Charlotte have become Peak Fitness (although I found a really nice Gold's Gym way north, past Huntersville on I-77).

Anyone a member of Peak? Obviously I can workout for a day at one (I think the nearest on to Waxhaw is in Matthews).

I'm just looking for a good gym in or near Waxhaw with all the cardio equipment (like ellipticals, tread mills, etc.) . I saw a YMCA that looked pretty packed in Weddington (I think), looked pretty modern but that was just driving by...

Just curious...

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 02:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,354,670 times
Miker,
My husband joined Peak Fitness in Matthews. He likes it a lot. It's open 24 hours, very reasonable and according to him, clean and updated. I'll be joining too because they have childcare.

We looked at the Siskey YMCA and weren't very impressed with the equipment.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,653,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069
Hello, I noticed that Peak Fitness seems to be the predominant chain fitness center in Charlotte. In Boston I go to Gold's Gym, and like the fact that when I travel my membership is good at any Gold's in the US. Seems the Gold's in Charlotte have become Peak Fitness (although I found a really nice Gold's Gym way north, past Huntersville on I-77).

Anyone a member of Peak? Obviously I can workout for a day at one (I think the nearest on to Waxhaw is in Matthews).

I'm just looking for a good gym in or near Waxhaw with all the cardio equipment (like ellipticals, tread mills, etc.) . I saw a YMCA that looked pretty packed in Weddington (I think), looked pretty modern but that was just driving by...

Just curious...

Thanks for the help.

Mike
Mike - go to the gym you mentioned (it will be deleted if I do) and do a search locations, they have 26 in NC, not sure if any around you, a lot in Raleigh - but give it time, I am sure some will come that way...

Old 08-08-2006, 03:58 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
Miker,
My husband joined Peak Fitness in Matthews. He likes it a lot. It's open 24 hours, very reasonable and according to him, clean and updated. I'll be joining too because they have childcare.

We looked at the Siskey YMCA and weren't very impressed with the equipment.
JM, thanks much. I meant to visit, but there was a bad storm one day in June and they shutdown (along with a bunch of other stores in the mall there). I'll check it out!

Thank You

Old 11-16-2007, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 9,975 times
Default Harnessing Engergy

I noticed that you mentioned something about elipicals, treadmill and bike being able to store energy. Do you have any other info.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

Just curious...

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 AM

23 posts, read 63,157 times
Peak has a really dreadful reputation. They lock you into contracts and make it impossible to get out, they bill you automatically after your contract expires, they have a laundry list of lawsuits and complaints. Spend a few minutes googling them and you will see.

Check out this website:
Peak Fitness Complaints

Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 AM

677 posts, read 2,015,983 times
I'm a member at peak, i go to the one on morehead st in uptown. I paid for my contract up front and I can go to any Peak Fitness anywhere and work out.

All the equipment is up to date, they add new things, etc... Some of the free weights have seen better days but they're not in bad condition.

And it works out to be around $20/mo with the deal I signed up with.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM

51 posts, read 153,152 times
I would recommend Planet Fitness in Matthews. $10/month with no contracts. Big facility, lots of new flat screens, wide range of ages of people working out. I switched from Planet to Peak Fitness in March due to a job change and Matthews not being the most central location and I honestly am thinking of paying for two memberships just to go back to Planet Fitness. Don't get me wrong Peak has nice facilities and free classes but the whole vibe is not for me. Hope that helps.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:16 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,881,426 times
Be careful with PF. You are signing a 2 year contract with a $175 term fee and you have to give 60 days notice so that makes it almost $250 to quit the contract. Also, if you sign the contract you only have 3 business days to send a certified letter to cancel it. BE AWARE

Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 PM

Talk about raising the dead (thread)...

Whoever is looking the YMCAs are a good alternative too. The siskey YM is good, has a track, the Olympic pool and all that good stuff and family centered programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte