U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:29 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,275,552 times

Advertisements

You can shop at BJ's for free but I think they charge you a 5% surcharge for purchasing whatever.

Devilled eggs are always a big hit - used to make them w/ mayo but now w/ Hidden Valley ranch dressing (actually any ranch dressing, I prefer lite).

On a 6 inch toothpick, as an appetizer you can alternate a grape tomato, folded up small piece of fresh spinach and round mozz. ball (approx. same size as grape tom.), it comes out nice (red/green/white, not too patriotic but easy anyway,nice around Christmas, LOL), stick some flag toothpicks around it and Im sure they wont last long <G>

Pasta salad goes over well and while it's not good to let food sit out, there's no mayo in it so it shouldnt go bad fast (but be careful anyway) - use a bottle of ital. dressing (I prefer lite but any will do), a box of pasta (tri-color is more eye-catching than plain white, I think spaghetti is actually what's called for) - cut-up tomato, peppers, raw carrots, squash and a few good shakes of McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning (spice, has a red cap) - recipe is on the back of the jar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,027,713 times
This is not from my childhood, but I love this cake:

Fourth of July Cake

And this post written a few days later is just hilarious! It links back to the recipe.

I Did A Bad Thing

Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 AM

812 posts, read 1,648,507 times
I made candy covered pretzels this weekend for family and school. Buy the candy melts they have at AC Moore or Micheal's-- I actually prefer the AC Moore ones vs the Wilton at Micheal's. I think you pay the same and the bags have MORE!

I used the white vanilla flavored discs and dipped 1/2 of the small twists into the melted candy then drizzled red & blue over the top. My stepmom raved about them! I also did regular chocolate and peanut butter drizzle but put some of the red/white/blue on them as well!

Love the sweet and salty! I have also done the plastic molds with penny stix and swirled the red white and blue together so it looked like tie dye!

The upfront costs maybe be a little higher if you buy the molds or specialty pcs but the candy doesn't seem to spoil and the pretzel can be bought for cheap. I love the big barrel of UTZ stix at Sam's Club.

You can print off the coupons online for AC Moore and get the starter kits for 1/2 price. All sorts of themes and holidays if you want to make suckers without the pretzels. I have had kids and adults love them!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 AM

78 posts, read 264,008 times
With yellow squash in season right now, pie is the easiest thing I can think of. People are giving the things away. Just like pumpkin pie, but made with the yellow squash. VERY GOOD!! Also zucchini bread since people who grow squash also usually grow both. I've been given 6 bags of the things so far, and I'm growing my own, too.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM

440 posts, read 1,008,165 times
Sunny, those are both classic American & sound good & attractive. Lately I've been picking mint & cucumbers from my garden & making tea sandwiches. In mine I mix butter, cream cheese, & mint, spread on bread then layer with cucs & top. But mine aren't delicate as I make a real giant sandwich & with this heat I find myself eating them (without the butter) for all 3 meals! The mint makes it very refreshing. They're classic American taken from Britain, what could be more American than that on Independence Day?!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,014,344 times
A simple treat for kids....make rice crispy treats and add in a couple handfuls of red, white and blue M&M's.

OK, who am I trying to fool. I LOVE rice crispy treats with M&M's in them and we haven't had any for a few years because the kids have been in braces ( they actually followed the rules - no sticky foods). I'll be making a big pan since DD just got her braces off last month...and I have a coupon for the M&M's.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Well, this is a new twist on an old favorite. I've gotten a lot of response off this recipe, which really is easy, tasty and something even kids can make.

South of the Border S'mores

South of the border s’mores : Carolina Lifestyles

Brian discovered this recipe and made it his own - by adding cinnamon! The photos are his, too.

Here is a terrific July 4th burger I like to think I perfected:

Brown Sugar Bacon Jalapeno Burgers

Brown Sugar Bacon Jalapeno Burgers : Carolina Lifestyles

If you look around, there are lots of other recipes we have posted over the months, including such things as easy fudge and various casseroles. I am going to be posting one for Pimiento Cheese later this week -- a lot of folks who have moved here from other regions have never had this Southern staple (and we have talked about it on this forum in the past). It is still great on crackers for an easy appetizer, too.

I was thinking about posting my Sangria recipe. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:24 PM

133 posts, read 288,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
And this post written a few days later is just hilarious! It links back to the recipe.

I Did A Bad Thing
I love this cake! This situation could have happened at my house, especially with my DH's addiction to chocolate!

The article sounds like it was written by my mother-in-law!! I have never laughed so hard.

thanks for sharing!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 PM

133 posts, read 288,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, this is a new twist on an old favorite. I've gotten a lot of response off this recipe, which really is easy, tasty and something even kids can make.

South of the Border S'mores

South of the border símores : Carolina Lifestyles

Brian discovered this recipe and made it his own - by adding cinnamon! The photos are his, too.

Here is a terrific July 4th burger I like to think I perfected:

Brown Sugar Bacon Jalapeno Burgers

Brown Sugar Bacon Jalapeno Burgers : Carolina Lifestyles

If you look around, there are lots of other recipes we have posted over the months, including such things as easy fudge and various casseroles. I am going to be posting one for Pimiento Cheese later this week -- a lot of folks who have moved here from other regions have never had this Southern staple (and we have talked about it on this forum in the past). It is still great on crackers for an easy appetizer, too.

I was thinking about posting my Sangria recipe. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Please post your Sangria recipe! That burger sounds great! and the girls I think want to try the s'more recipe this weekend by the ole fire....(DH built a outside brick oven and we have been enjoying it all summer).

Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,506,947 times
Ok I just went shopping and took an idea given above.
The recipies shared are nice and fancy.
I live simple so I bought Watermellon and Canalope, Pimento Cheese and crackers
Ill cut the fruit into cute cubes surround them with a spoon full of Pimento Cheese on cracker surrounding the bowl of fruit with Flag tooth picks for easy grab.
These are wonderful ideas Ill look into for each cover dish each month.
Ill use bake beans maybe for August first Fridays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte