U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 AM

604 posts, read 1,130,874 times

Advertisements

In Hemby Bridge, the taxman won't cometh - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/28/1529648/in-hemby-bridge-the-taxman-wont.html - broken link)

Hemby Bridge residents voted to eliminate property taxes.
ONLY 19 of 551 municipalities in NC forgo property taxes with most eliminating them years ago or never imposing them.

Well, I guess we could all just burn our own trash here in Charlotte. Or maybe quit paving and maintaining roads and medians. And why do we need a police department anyway? Oh, I forgot about zoning...let's eliminate zoning. I like living next to junkyards and strip clubs. Wait, I've got a better idea! Let's just quadruple our utility franchise fees and eliminate property taxes. That's fair. The $2 million dollar homeowner and the apartment renter will all pay virtually the same for utilities. That'll show 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
A new volunteer group, the Hemby Bridge Community League, helps the town defray expenses by cleaning both the town hall and community center. It will also handle bookings for the community center and donate decorations for the town's Christmas display.

I think I would rather pay the $50.00 then clean the town hall.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
I can see that it would work for the folks living there. The only question I have is - fire department service. I didn't see anything mentioned about that, and my question is not just observation. Home owners insurance rates are, in part, based on where the closest fire department is. And it may be that a professional 24/7 fire department means better rates than a volunteer fire department (maybe someone in the insurance industry can clarify all that).

So I am wondering how much higher folks' HO insurance might be if they don't have a fire department on duty round the clock. That might offset some of the savings on not having to pay property taxes.

Also, it can be expensive to drill and maintain a well - and more expense for the homeowner for septic system installation and maintenance. However, if growth is slow, perhaps this would be of little concern as well (since only new construction would have to absorb those higher costs initially).

Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 AM

Most states are switching to more consumption based taxes like sales tax. In SC they raised the state sales tax 1%, used the money toward running the schools, and cut my property tax in half. And that is why I like Gov. Sanford and his soul mate to boot.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:38 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,006,111 times
There is a volunteer fire station in Hemby Bridge funded by a fire tax rather than the property tax. So far, they are paying their own way and receive no county subsidy.
The Enquirer Journal - Revenue is key to county budget (http://www.enquirerjournal.com/view/full_story/7767733/article-Revenue-is-key-to-county-budget?instance=most_commented - broken link)

Trash collection is a private service, as it is in many areas of Union County. We don't all burn our trash. Why would a community of 1500 people need their own police department? I think they are covered by the Monroe Police Department. County zoning laws apply in Hemby Bridge, I don't think there are any strip clubs there. Aren't roads maintained by the county as well?

It sounds like they will do just fine with no property tax.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM

445 posts, read 678,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
There is a volunteer fire station in Hemby Bridge funded by a fire tax rather than the property tax. So far, they are paying their own way and receive no county subsidy.
The fire station at Hemby Bridge has paid firefighters on duty during the critical daytime hours where volunteers find it hard to get away from their jobs to answer emergency calls.

Many of these paid firefighters are career firefighters from Charlotte and Monroe that serve this fire district on a paid basis. The service is first rate and well worth the tax that is paid for the personnel and equipment.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,657,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Roe View Post
In Hemby Bridge, the taxman won't cometh - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/28/1529648/in-hemby-bridge-the-taxman-wont.html - broken link)

Hemby Bridge residents voted to eliminate property taxes.
ONLY 19 of 551 municipalities in NC forgo property taxes with most eliminating them years ago or never imposing them.

Well, I guess we could all just burn our own trash here in Charlotte. Or maybe quit paving and maintaining roads and medians. And why do we need a police department anyway? Oh, I forgot about zoning...let's eliminate zoning. I like living next to junkyards and strip clubs. Wait, I've got a better idea! Let's just quadruple our utility franchise fees and eliminate property taxes. That's fair. The $2 million dollar homeowner and the apartment renter will all pay virtually the same for utilities. That'll show 'em.
Hmm...Kevin Presley, mayor of Hemby Bridge..the same Presley that was Union County Commisioner that ran up the county debt under his watch.....bless his heart....

Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,987,180 times
Excellent info on firefighters and PD!

For 1500 people - seems to me - if they are all comfortable with the arrangement, then it works! And since they have their services covered, why not?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:31 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,006,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
The fire station at Hemby Bridge has paid firefighters on duty during the critical daytime hours where volunteers find it hard to get away from their jobs to answer emergency calls.

Many of these paid firefighters are career firefighters from Charlotte and Monroe that serve this fire district on a paid basis. The service is first rate and well worth the tax that is paid for the personnel and equipment.
Thanks for correcting me on that.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM

445 posts, read 678,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Thanks for correcting me on that.
LOL That wasn't meant to be a correction......... just some additional info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or