Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,380,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Please link to any local, state or federal law which would prohibit a school from having a dress code or uniform.
Okay, I was clearly wrong, NC does have a dress code requirement in place, typically telling students what they could not wear. Those schools that have a uniform requirement in place does have an opt out program.

http://www.ncfamily.org/PolicyPapers/Findings%200105-Dress%20Policy.pdf (broken link)
http://www.educationpartnerships.org/Resources/ResearchBriefDressCodes.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM

530 posts, read 1,177,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Be the parent, make them.
I see kids playing and riding bikes after school in their uniforms.
And I'm talking about very simple things like navy/khaki pants (boys) and solid knit shirts.
It's just 'normal' clothes. I see kids walking out of Providence HS wearing $30 T-shirts & $80 jerseys, while I am talking about $7 polos you can get at Target.
You think those kids wouldn't still have those "$30 T-shirts & $80 jerseys" even if they wore uniforms to school.

I am the parent. And I disagree with the uniforms. It's rather ridiculous really that I'd be expected to make my teenager wear his school uniform when he's out with his friends..

BTW, the kids with money still buy expensive designer clothes in these uniform clad schools and all of the children still notice the difference between a $7 target polo and a $45 nautica....

Old 02-11-2010, 05:20 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
You think those kids wouldn't still have those "$30 T-shirts & $80 jerseys" even if they wore uniforms to school.

I am the parent. And I disagree with the uniforms. It's rather ridiculous really that I'd be expected to make my teenager wear his school uniform when he's out with his friends..

BTW, the kids with money still buy expensive designer clothes in these uniform clad schools and all of the children still notice the difference between a $7 target polo and a $45 nautica....
Maybe...but no one said a word to my kids in their $7 Target Polo's. A LOT of the kids just wore $7 polo's. There's no reason to spend $45 on a polo unless you want to...and then you can't really complain if that's what you choose to do.

It's also not accurate to call it a 'uniform'. You don't have to buy it at the uniform shop or have a particular brand. Granted, it is a strict dress code but it isn't a uniform.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe...but no one said a word to my kids in their $7 Target Polo's. A LOT of the kids just wore $7 polo's. There's no reason to spend $45 on a polo unless you want to...and then you can't really complain if that's what you choose to do.

It's also not accurate to call it a 'uniform'. You don't have to buy it at the uniform shop or have a particular brand. Granted, it is a strict dress code but it isn't a uniform.
A Uniform is what its called in the school my son attends.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 PM

445 posts, read 1,162,558 times
I, too, hate uniforms and I am an educator of more than 25 years. I think it violates my personal freedom, punishes all for the sins of a few, creates as many problems as it solves and has no educational value whatsoever.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,034,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO PANTHERS!! View Post
A Uniform is what its called in the school my son attends.
Weddington, Monroe, Sun Valley, Porter Ridge, East Union all enforce a dress code, I'm not sure about the rest. Who requires a uniform?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
I, too, hate uniforms and I am an educator of more than 25 years. I think it violates my personal freedom, punishes all for the sins of a few, creates as many problems as it solves and has no educational value whatsoever.
Just guessing, bet you wouldn't approve of all girls and all boys schools either?

But uniforms and single sex schools have high success rates with getting and keeping kids attention and focus where it needs to be - on the learning.

I know it goes against the grain of some of you but do some reading on the subject - uniforms help kids have better school environments. There is plenty of time for "freedom of expression" later in college.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,351,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Just guessing, bet you wouldn't approve of all girls and all boys schools either?

But uniforms and single sex schools have high success rates with getting and keeping kids attention and focus where it needs to be - on the learning.

I know it goes against the grain of some of you but do some reading on the subject - uniforms help kids have better school environments. There is plenty of time for "freedom of expression" later in college.

I agree with you there, I went to an all girls school and wore a uniform for six years. Our all boys' school was across the street. BTW they were public schools.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Weddington, Monroe, Sun Valley, Porter Ridge, East Union all enforce a dress code, I'm not sure about the rest. Who requires a uniform?
Sun Valley Middle

Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Well, here again that's punishing all for the sins of a few. My son has been an AB/honor role student in AIG classes throughout his school years. With or without Uniforms..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte