Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
Thats would be political correctness. Good conservative Americans don't espouse that.

"Good Americans," regardless of their political views, don't disparage other folks and are especially sensitive to discrimination and prejudice towards others based on culture, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
I am not judgemental (for I have been judged...plenty)...but no matter what you build on that site is going to be a flop. People from Uptown, South Charlotte, Lake Norman...are not going to go to East Charlotte...due to the numerous problems over the years in that area. Unfortunately...it is what it is.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Just had a conversation last night with a gentleman from the Dominican Republic. He said that he is routinely harassed in the grocery store etc., accused of being "Mexican" and even asked if he is here legally!! (he is) This is the kind of thing that is so very offensive to our S. American neighbours.....
Those people are lowlife creeps who need to be educated on the different Hispanic cultures that are here in America. Hispanic culture is more than just Mexican, it is about different ethnic groups whose main language is Spanish. Stop living in ignorance people!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 07-02-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 11:08 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I am not judgemental (for I have been judged...plenty)...but no matter what you build on that site is going to be a flop. People from Uptown, South Charlotte, Lake Norman...are not going to go to East Charlotte...due to the numerous problems over the years in that area. Unfortunately...it is what it is.
I don't think they should try and market this to people living in Uptown or South Park anyway. They should build it in a fashion that will represent the diversity of the eastside and possibly attract others from around the region to visit and shop. Of course, they may need to clean up the area a bit so it doesn't look too grimy, but also not take away from the character of the area. Let's not call it a failure before it has a chance to go up yet! I think a multi-cultural center is a very good concept to build in place of the former Eastland Mall. I think it will do well as long as they market it to the eastside community and not try and compete with SouthPark Mall or Northlake Mall.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I don't think they should try and market this to people living in Uptown or South Park anyway. They should build it in a fashion that will represent the diversity of the eastside and possibly attract others from around the region to visit and shop. Of course, they may need to clean up the area a bit so it doesn't look too grimy, but also not take away from the character of the area. Let's not call it a failure before it has a chance to go up yet! I think a multi-cultural center is a very good concept to build in place of the former Eastland Mall. I think it will do well as long as they market it to the eastside community and not try and compete with SouthPark Mall or Northlake Mall.
I agree with you...but if you build something for Hispanics (who generally don't have alot of money)...that would not survive...and alot of non-hispanics would not go there. It is kind of between a rock & a hard place.

Where I live (4th Ward)...20-30 years ago was nothing but prostitutes, drugs & liquor houses (or so I have been told by native Charlotteans)...but now is know for high end. Things can turn around...but it takes M O N E Y...and people with M O N E Y. That -5- leter word is the root of all evil!

I hope for the best for that location & area!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
What's with all the spoilers? If the intent is to make the thread unreadable, mission accomplished.

Actually, that might be a good thing.
Sunny now hides off topic posts instead of deleting them.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Just had a conversation last night with a gentleman from the Dominican Republic. He said that he is routinely harassed in the grocery store etc., accused of being "Mexican" and even asked if he is here legally!! (he is) This is the kind of thing that is so very offensive to our S. American neighbours.....
Actually, the Dominican Republic is in NORTH America. Just sayin...

Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
"Good Americans," regardless of their political views, don't disparage other folks and are especially sensitive to discrimination and prejudice towards others based on culture, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, etc.
I believe he was actually taking a jab at conservatives.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I agree with you...but if you build something for Hispanics (who generally don't have alot of money)...that would not survive...and alot of non-hispanics would not go there. It is kind of between a rock & a hard place.

Where I live (4th Ward)...20-30 years ago was nothing but prostitutes, drugs & liquor houses (or so I have been told by native Charlotteans)...but now is know for high end. Things can turn around...but it takes M O N E Y...and people with M O N E Y. That -5- leter word is the root of all evil!

I hope for the best for that location & area!
Wow! Stereotype much, do we???

Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Wow! Stereotype much, do we???
Trust me I don't...I have been judged & stereotyped ALOT myself.

Just saying...that area of town is like 25% hispanic...and I was making general contributions. Not judging or sterotyping anyone. East Charlotte has been plagued with crime for the 18 years that I have lived in Charlotte...I have nothing to do with that. I am a Christian and judge no one...hope you don't as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte