Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times

Advertisements

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
REALLY? I thought that you said..."mexican"

Mexicans are NOT hispanic. Only those from Spain or Portugal are Hispanic.

Any other person from a Spanish-speaking country is from their country of origin, or, if you must group them together, try Latino.
Wrong. Hispanic refers to anyone from Mexico, Central America, South America, and portions of the Caribbean. It does NOT refer to people from Spain.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-30-2010 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
I am appalled at most of this thread, but being white american, with a hispanic (puerto rican fiance and daughter) I think its pure ignorance.

But just to clarify, Hispanic is a term for all the other origins of Latinos. Spanish is a term for people from Spain. Hispanic is what most other nationalities fit into (ie: Cuban, Puerto Rican, Colombian).

Now with that said, why is it that in NC people all refer to hispanics as Mexican? I find that so odd, like they arent intelligent enough to even take the time to decipher between different nationalities. Wouldn't it be easier to refer to spanish-speaking cultures as hispanic and not make anyone offended, from any region?
I will be shopping there when it opens, knowing it will be the closest to miami spanish food I can probably get. I am fine with shopping at the stores that are already open in Charlotte, but I think this diversity is great, not only white americans live in America. Believe it or not, many americans are canadian-american, cuban-american, etc etc ETCCCCC.
On another note: Thank God we do not deport based on looks! Whoever the moron was that said if you can't tell them apart, deport them all (in a not so nice way) should be shunned to a 3rd world country to live. SMH!
Thak you for that post, but I gotta tell ya - you are buying into some kind of stereotype by saying "in NC, people all refer to hispanics as Mexican."

I don't hear everyone say "Mexican" for hispanic folks. I hear people say Guatemalan for people from Guatemala, Puerto Rican, Chilean, Peruvian or say Latino or Hispanic. The only time I hear people say Mexican is when they are talking about folks from Mexico or when they are referring to Mexican food.

Relaying that everyone in this region refers to all hispanic folks as Mexican is as stereotypical as calling everyone from a South American country a Mexican, hee hee.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
It about time the needs of our hispanic friends be met with a special store for them , I welcome it and I think the hispanic women are hot hot hot...Cant wait to cruise around over there honkin my horn and waving at the ladies.
Don't forget that Latinas the world over use the same middle finger salutation as we do here. So, when"honkin your horn and waving at the ladies" you won't be surprised at the salutes you might get. Just saying.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-30-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 07:13 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Spoiler
Only in the United States.........

Hispanic (Spanish: hispano, hispánico) is a term that originally denoted a relationship to the ancient Hispania (geographically coinciding with the Iberian Peninsula).[note 1] During the modern era, it sometimes takes on a more limited meaning, relating to the contemporary nation of Spain.
Still more recently, primarily in the United States, the term has also (or alternatively) been used to denote the culture and people of countries formerly ruled by the Spanish Empire, usually with a majority of the population speaking the Spanish language. Collectively known as Hispanic America, this definition includes Mexico, the majority of the Central and South American countries, and most of the Greater Antilles. The term may include a relation to the Iberian Peninsula to include Portuguese people and/or their diaspora in Brazil[citation needed]. The nations formerly pertaining to the Spanish East Indies are sometimes loosely included in this definition, as their cultures have some Spanish or Latin American elements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-30-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 AM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Only in the United States.........
Last I checked, Charlotte is in the United States.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Amazing amount of hate in this thread...
Personally I'm thrilled someone is developing the property.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
I am appalled at most of this thread, but being white american, with a hispanic (puerto rican fiance and daughter) I think its pure ignorance.

My grandmother was Puerto Rican. I find nothing wrong with anything in this thread except the hispanic references...which I thought were kind of funny.

Thin skins....

Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,441 times
Reagrdless of race, nationality, illegal or legal most people want the same out of life. Less crime, gang activity and a life without all the complications. We have more in common than we think. If you talk to most hispanics, meicans, latinos or whatever title you want to give them one would see that they would have more in common than not. Erase the hate and the stereotyping.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
The racism expressed in this thread is mind-boggling. Why don't we bring back the confederate flag while we're at it.
be carefull what you wish for. some are trying to rebrand that flag and make it acceptable.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
be carefull what you wish for. some are trying to rebrand that flag and make it acceptable.
Only historical revisionism has made the Stars & Bars a symbol of hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte