U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:25 PM

241 posts, read 813,694 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am anxious and worried about where my son goes to school and I do believe that I have the right to be. With all of the adjusting and redistricting, I would assume that most parents would be - especially if they care about their childs education and paid a lot of money to live in a district where they had hoped their child could go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 PM

240 posts, read 657,637 times
Smile high schools

A lot of my dance students attend private and public schools so I generally get a good idea of the schools.
All my Prov High School girls are very hard workers and in the top levels. In the past, I have had students from there get accepted into Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, NC State, etc. It does turn out a lot of very highly academic students.
I believe Ardrey Kell will be like a Prov High as it is in a great neighborhood with a very strict Principal and some top notch teachers.

The whole school process is rather a scary thing as we just want our kids to be in the best place and get a good education.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:23 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2nc View Post
A lot of my dance students attend private and public schools so I generally get a good idea of the schools.
All my Prov High School girls are very hard workers and in the top levels. In the past, I have had students from there get accepted into Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, NC State, etc. It does turn out a lot of very highly academic students.
I believe Ardrey Kell will be like a Prov High as it is in a great neighborhood with a very strict Principal and some top notch teachers.

The whole school process is rather a scary thing as we just want our kids to be in the best place and get a good education.
Agreed. But ideally, if you are really worried about where your child will go to school you should not move to an area of town still being developed, especially one busting at the seams. Going with an older established neighborhood in Charlotte will give you stability in schools. For instance, the kids in my neighborhood have gone to the same high school for 30 years! thenacto

Old 06-21-2007, 03:36 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,164,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
Yes, I am anxious and worried about where my son goes to school and I do believe that I have the right to be. With all of the adjusting and redistricting, I would assume that most parents would be - especially if they care about their childs education and paid a lot of money to live in a district where they had hoped their child could go.
Everyone has the "right" to be concerned about their child's education, no one here is disputing that. It's just that you might be stressing over something you will simply have no control over, especially here in Union County. So, if that is such a source of anxiety for you, Union Cty or anywhere in the Charlotte area may not be the place for you. JMHO
But, just know, that most transplants have gone through similar agonizing processes, where schools are concerned. We're just letting you know that chances are that your child will not be attending the same cluster of schools you think he or she will for his/her entire school career, that's all.
That should not, however, cast a negative cloud over any of these schools, since they're all good schools.
I really think private school would be the best route for you. There you have an absolute guarantee, that your child will be in the same school for all four years. Just show up with $$$ and lots of it!
Good Luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Agreed. But ideally, if you are really worried about where your child will go to school you should not move to an area of town still being developed, especially one busting at the seams.
BINGO!

Old 06-21-2007, 04:43 PM

241 posts, read 813,694 times
See, the lots of money part is where you got me. And away to public school we go. Yes, I believe in going to an established area as well....it's the hubs that I'm having issues with convincing.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:30 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,164,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
See, the lots of money part is where you got me. And away to public school we go. Yes, I believe in going to an established area as well....it's the hubs that I'm having issues with convincing.
Same here. I really think that once you decide on Union County, Marvin, Weddington or Waxhaw, specifically, you will NOT be dissapointed!
This is coming from a control freak who researches EVERYTHING to a fault. Hang in there, things have a way of working out....

Last edited by stmaarten; 06-21-2007 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 02:25 AM

8 posts, read 29,806 times
Quite Frankly, I believe you should be concerned. We've been here for two 1/2 years and we love the people and the community (Marvin, Weddington, Waxhaw area) however, this place will not be able to keep it all together pragmatically for much longer. The leadership in the county hands out licences to build homes like they're going out of style. The leadership is much more concerned with aligning themselves with developers (because 3/5 commissioners are also developers) than they are with planning and infrastructure and long-term support of people. They should be considering a fair and manageable taxation structure so that they can implement the infrastructure that is sorely needed. Growth is not at all supported. Just las spring mediation between the Commissioners and the School Board had to take place because they tried to cut 15 million dollars of funding from schools; schools that are busting at the seams already! We have water supply issues, we have major traffic and road issues, we have major school resource issues (especially if you have a child with special needs) We have teacher shortages and we are often luring in an overabundance of teachers without a lot of experience. (schools really require a balance of younger and older teachers - I'm a former teacher myself)
I don't want to put my home or community down because I LOVE the people here. I have never lived in a better neigbhorhood community - but, before you get attached, you may want to think twice for now.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:09 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,144,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncountyresident View Post
Quite Frankly, I believe you should be concerned. We've been here for two 1/2 years and we love the people and the community (Marvin, Weddington, Waxhaw area) however, this place will not be able to keep it all together pragmatically for much longer. The leadership in the county hands out licences to build homes like they're going out of style. The leadership is much more concerned with aligning themselves with developers (because 3/5 commissioners are also developers) than they are with planning and infrastructure and long-term support of people. They should be considering a fair and manageable taxation structure so that they can implement the infrastructure that is sorely needed. Growth is not at all supported. Just las spring mediation between the Commissioners and the School Board had to take place because they tried to cut 15 million dollars of funding from schools; schools that are busting at the seams already! We have water supply issues, we have major traffic and road issues, we have major school resource issues (especially if you have a child with special needs) We have teacher shortages and we are often luring in an overabundance of teachers without a lot of experience. (schools really require a balance of younger and older teachers - I'm a former teacher myself)
I don't want to put my home or community down because I LOVE the people here. I have never lived in a better neigbhorhood community - but, before you get attached, you may want to think twice for now.
Wow major bump on this thread...

But well said!! This is something that I have been saying on this board for a while and it is good to see others seeing things this way as well.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:00 AM

264 posts, read 828,053 times
We bought a big house in Union County and lived there for eight months (thank goodness it was a hot market and we sold quickly.) I didn't like Union County for many reasons but the biggest was the instability. The place is being developed like crazy and it seems uncontrolled. The school district lines are all over the place and like far S. Charlotte, they change every year or two. After I moved there, I did not like what I saw from the local schools (Porter Ridge.) We ended up moving to a fully developed, established neighborhood in S. Charlotte that is well within the Providence High boundaries and between two of the top rated elementaries in the district. We still send our son to private school but knowing that we're in a solid area if we need the public schools is a big comfort. It also helps our property value.

Also, the claims about lower taxes in Union County are pretty overblown. We don't pay *that* much less here in Meck. And I feel the services and the convenient location is well worth it.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:17 AM

10 posts, read 21,857 times
I honestly don't think either of the systems are any better than the other. You get out of an education whatever you put into it. If a parent invests their time helping a student learn and develope, you could be in the worst school in the district and still get a good education.

There is of course a stigma attached to certain schools in the Meck system, and if this is an important factor to a person, then sending their child to a "lessor class" school would be a disaster. I don't think Union County schools have such a defined pecking order as the Meck system, YET, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

It all boils down to your snob factor. If your rich or need to feel important, find a house that is in the Providence High or South Meck district because they are high on the totem pole. Avoid at all costs West Meck or Garringer for they have a reputation of having too many financially challenged children and people may not be impressed if you tell them your child attends these schools.

In my own opinion though, any school will educate a child. It's the parents that make the difference. If you work with your child at an early age and prepare them for learning, they will be ahead of the game, if you do nothing to help with the process, your child's education will suffer. It's not all up to the teacher nor the school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or