Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Even bolstered by the tax credit, Charlotte metro was -2.2% YoY for April... I'm actually very surprised by this and I think it's a serious concern when government intervention isn't enough to trend the area up YoY.

More bad news for those who need to sell.

A Look at Case-Shiller, by Metro Area (June Update) - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Yeah, when people, the bubble heads in the media, and the politicians, talk about the "recovery" it makes me laugh. Recover to "what" exactly. Do people honestly think their 1/3 to 1/2 million dollar homes are ever going to sell for that again? There are no meaningful jobs, the government is creating so much debt to maintain this dismal status quo that it is frightening, and the big banks are still robbing whats left of the economy blind and paying out huge bonuses. Nothing has been fixed.

If you bought a house in the last 5-7 years and still own it all I can say is I'm sorry, and have a plan. If you were smart you bought close in Charlotte and sacrificed sq/footage-status for quality. If you are thinking of buying a house, stop and do some more thinking. Go get some education that doesn't come from a real estate agent, a banker, or your friend who has already bought sold themselves off in exchange for the badly built square footage house located in a faceless subdivision.

BTW, April was supposed to have been a good month.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:11 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Yeah, when people, the bubble heads in the media, and the politicians, talk about the "recovery" it makes me laugh. Recover to "what" exactly. Do people honestly think their 1/3 to 1/2 million dollar homes are ever going to sell for that again? There are no meaningful jobs, the government is creating so much debt to maintain this dismal status quo that it is frightening, and the big banks are still robbing whats left of the economy blind and paying out huge bonuses. Nothing has been fixed.

If you bought a house in the last 5-7 years and still own it all I can say is I'm sorry, and have a plan. If you were smart you bought close in Charlotte and sacrificed sq/footage-status for quality. If you are thinking of buying a house, stop and do some more thinking. Go get some education that doesn't come from a real estate agent, a banker, or your friend who has already bought sold themselves off in exchange for the badly built square footage house located in a faceless subdivision.

BTW, April was supposed to have been a good month.
Why is it that all home not close in that are larger than those close in are badly built? I've seen plenty of houses built in the 1930's and up that were not built so well. Levels and squares get a good work out in them.

Life and character does exist outside of "close in".

Old 06-30-2010, 11:23 AM

416 posts, read 927,611 times
1/3 of a million is $333k. I don't think its doom and gloom for people that bought a $333k house. I agree $500k+ is a really tough market to try and sell in. My wife and I bought a $200k house in the Ballantyne area 6-7 years ago and when its time for us to buy something with a little more space, we'll probably be looking in that $333k range.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Why is it that all home not close in that are larger than those close in are badly built? I've seen plenty of houses built in the 1930's and up that were not built so well. Levels and squares get a good work out in them.

I think a lot of folks will disagree with you on that, but only if they have actually lived in an older home that was built to higher standards - and with better quality materials - than the "sweetheart" houses that were often quickly built in outlying areas.

Perhaps you haven't seen the workmanship (during construction) on the majority of houses built outside Charlotte proper in the last 6 or so years. I have, and the workmanship was often disturbing to me as a potential buyer.

However, this is true all over the USA -- as these same builders have permeated most metros throughout the country.

I have lived in a new neighborhood and I have lived in older, established neighborhoods. The new subdivisions offered additional amenities that the older neighborhoods didn't, i.e. community pool, clubhouse, nice greenways and sidewalks throughout. The older neighborhoods had better built homes, from the actual construction materials to the building standards, and larger lots.

It just depends on what "lifestyle" means to the individual buyer as to which is "better" in the longrun.

I would add: for young families, such things as school districts are gonna be of high importance, too. If the new subdivision is located in the school district the family prefers, then that alone may be the determining factor of where a family decides to settle. Then, you consider commuting distance, traffic patterns . . . it is not as simple as saying "newer homes are not always built to high standards." Also, older homes often need updating, which can include big ticket items such as HVAC. There is no one "right" answer for everyone.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 AM

385 posts, read 890,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post

If all you needed was a level and a square on 80 years of settling then you are doing pretty good.

Last edited by palmetto75; 07-01-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
1/3 of a million is $333k. I don't think its doom and gloom for people that bought a $333k house. I agree $500k+ is a really tough market to try and sell in. My wife and I bought a $200k house in the Ballantyne area 6-7 years ago and when its time for us to buy something with a little more space, we'll probably be looking in that $333k range.
I recommend that you have a look at This Chart

This index tracks pending contracts on existing homes. Compare it to the scale. It's never been this low. The chart is from this article.

Biggest Monthly Pending Home Sales Drop On Record As ISM Manufacturing Index Misses Big | zero hedge

These are the results despite Bush & Obama stimulus/bailouts/etc. in the trillions of dollars (all borrowed). We can't borrow our way back to prosperity. It's probably going to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: