Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It seems that many of your blogs center around cooking, but anyone who's been around here knows you're a "style" person, too.

Since homes are always on our minds it would be great to see you continue the TV niche piece into something along the lines of updating other decorating styles - be it brass to nickel accents or flooring or window treatments... I think people always enjoy reading about what styles are hot, which ones are "timeless", and how to stay current without busting the bank!
Mikey - that is a great idea! But I will need help from you all to get photos and info about the updates, as finding someone who is actually in the process of a project is the key (unless folks have "before and after" photos).

I will happily share all articles here. The housing market in Charlotte has tremendous possibilities. I would hate to see folks pass over a wonderful house just b/c some feature wasn't quite what they could envision how to use or reconstruct (or hide!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
Ani,
How about reupholstering furniture? I had a dining room set that I had reupholstered becaue the fabric was light colored and it got dirty easily. I also have a wrought iron set that I kept outside, it got rusted and the seats dry rotted. I used a metal brush and gor rid of the rust then used the new Rustoleum on them. I also went the Lowes bought some plywood and had them cut it into squares close enough to the size and using a jigsaw cut to shape. I now need to get the It is easy, just a staple gun fabric, which can be bought inexpensively. Voila your chairs and furniture have a new life. If needed the foam can also be bought inexpensively too.

The possiblities are endless
Ohhh, I have reupholstered (well, changed) the seat on my dining room chairs myself. But I don't have photos. Do you have any photos? I am very much into recycling. One of my outdoor umbrella tables w/ 4 chairs has been spray painted maybe 8 times now, lol. I re-touch it every year. Hubby was gonna throw it out in 1992 b/c it had a broken splat on the back of one of the chairs. I took it to a car mechanic who did welding and he fixed the chair for a few bucks!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Mikey - that is a great idea! But I will need help from you all to get photos and info about the updates, as finding someone who is actually in the process of a project is the key (unless folks have "before and after" photos).

I will happily share all articles here. The housing market in Charlotte has tremendous possibilities. I would hate to see folks pass over a wonderful house just b/c some feature wasn't quite what they could envision how to use or reconstruct (or hide!)
I can help with ideas... here's a thread that made me think of this. This should give you some food for thought!

What "trends" that buyers are looking for are going out of style?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
What about the space above my kitchen cabinets? I have high ceilings and the molding above the cabinets sticks up about 3-4 inches so IF I place anything on top it is sunken. I have about 8 inches of wall space surrounding the U shaped kitchen under the crown molding and NOTHING there.

I initially bought some decorative glass bottles but found that when I placed them on top I lost several inches. It would be a pain to elevate the entire area for display.

I use my TV niche above the fireplace at Xmas time--put a mini led tree in there! Otherwise I just have a floral orchid arrangement and some travel knick knacks. We discussed putting glass shelves in the square hole.
I have the same situation! I raised all my "collectibles" by using bricks w/ boards running across to raise the items.

Maybe I could show how I did that? Or perhaps that is not hard to envision.

I collect teapots and spode china, so I put that along with some fake greenery up there (but I am gonna take down the fake greenery b/c, well, it is fake and annoys me, lol).

HOWEVER - I saw a different installation that someone had done here in Charlotte (saw it online when looking at real estate for sale). I don't know if it was an addition or they constructed the cabinets that way . . . but it could be adapted regardless. They had taken that space above the cabinets and constructed to-the-ceiling cabinets (small) - w/ glass in each one. It was gorgeous. I will see if I can find that photo - I think I saved it on my computer (does anyone else have files of computer photos showing design ideas, lol???)

Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I can help with ideas... here's a thread that made me think of this. This should give you some food for thought!

What "trends" that buyers are looking for are going out of style?
Mikey, thank you so much!

I would love to keep the info all local - showing houses here in Charlotte. Maybe I should solicit for submissions on my blog . . . ??? Would anyone do that?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:25 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,958 times
I have that space above my cabinets and would love ideas. I love Polish pottery but it is expensive. No grenery for me, sorry it is outdated and the fiance wants it and the fake one at that. I said no way. So I need some ideas.
As for the chairs I have to redo them anyway I needed a quick fix when I sold my house so I was not well done. I will take pics without the seats or with the not so well done ones and start from there.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
What about the space above my kitchen cabinets? I have high ceilings and the molding above the cabinets sticks up about 3-4 inches so IF I place anything on top it is sunken. I have about 8 inches of wall space surrounding the U shaped kitchen under the crown molding and NOTHING there.

I initially bought some decorative glass bottles but found that when I placed them on top I lost several inches. It would be a pain to elevate the entire area for display.

I use my TV niche above the fireplace at Xmas time--put a mini led tree in there! Otherwise I just have a floral orchid arrangement and some travel knick knacks. We discussed putting glass shelves in the square hole.

How about going to Lowes or HD and getting some scrap wood of a reasonable thinckness to place up there the put your collectibles on top.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:33 AM

Okay - for the small cabinets added above existing kitchen cabinets - I uploaded the photo to my tumblr account, as that was the easiest way to do things . . . so see that here:

Carolina & Beyond

BTW - I found that photo in 2008, while looking at houses in Charlotte online! Yes, that is an actual house that was for sale here. It was in the >$800K range, if I remember correctly and located in S. Charlotte.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I have that space above my cabinets and would love ideas. I love Polish pottery but it is expensive. No grenery for me, sorry it is outdated and the fiance wants it and the fake one at that. I said no way. So I need some ideas.
As for the chairs I have to redo them anyway I needed a quick fix when I sold my house so I was not well done. I will take pics without the seats or with the not so well done ones and start from there.
The greenery is awful and I am embarrassed that I have it up there. I meant for it to be a "quick fix" when we first moved in. I moved in October and had 25 people in for Thanksgiving! So I slapped the greenery up there along with some collectibles I had dug out while unpacking (had barely unpacked by Thanksgiving, lol) and to my embarrassment . . . I have never re-done that area!!! I KNOW. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

I think I will re-do it this weekend. Maybe that would be a nice "before and after" lol.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Would so appreciate your sharing any photos . . . I will do a nice write-up with it and perhaps add some photos of what I have spray painted and info on what type of spray I used (for the outdoor stuff).

BTW - a tip . . . have you used naval jelly to help remove rust on outdoor furniture? It is wonderful! That along with the steel brush and you will put in very little effort and get professional results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: