Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 AM

578 posts, read 2,599,070 times

Advertisements

OMG, those things are disgusting! First of all, it's my fault I invited them to my yard by planting a Japanese maple. I had no idea what a Japanese beetle was until they ate my tree down to practically nothing. I'm a first-time homeowner from a different part of the country, so learning what does and does not work in the Carolinas has been an interesting experience. I got rid of that bug magnet tree, and now they're eating my Amur privet hedges. How do I get rid of these devil bugs? They're EVERYWHERE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 11:08 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,638 times
I had the baagies that you tied to my small tree with some stuff in it and attracted them into the bag where they were trapped. It worked like a charm. I would get several and tie them all over whatever plant that they are on. I got mine from Lowe's

Old 06-05-2010, 11:16 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
OMG, those things are disgusting! First of all, it's my fault I invited them to my yard by planting a Japanese maple. I had no idea what a Japanese beetle was until they ate my tree down to practically nothing. I'm a first-time homeowner from a different part of the country, so learning what does and does not work in the Carolinas has been an interesting experience. I got rid of that bug magnet tree, and now they're eating my Amur privet hedges. How do I get rid of these devil bugs? They're EVERYWHERE!
I wondered why I only saw one last year, they went to your house!

I dealt with them constantly in South Jersey.

Get a clean empty jar.

Fill it about halfway with water.

Pour in olive oil to make a layer at least a quarter of an inch thick on the water.

Get a twig.

Hold the jar under the leaf with the beetle on it & touch the bug with the twig.

The bugs tumble into the jar & can't get out & drown. Don't empty the jar until they are all dead. You can leave it outside & if it rains & the jar overflows it does no harm.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:20 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
If you use the traps you should set them up AWAY from the target plants. Be aware that the traps often attract beetles from neighboring yards or even other neighborhoods so you might end up with way more beetles in your yard if you lure them in with traps.

I'll go out with a big cup of soapy water and tap them in....it kills them pretty quick. When there are too many for the soapy water method I resort to sevin dust or spray. It matters little....they still eat my roses down to the stubs. We've considered using milky spore to treat the lawn...our neighbor says it has worked well for them. I've also considered replacing the roses with dahlia's, which they don't seem to bother. Given that my roses usually get eaten by the deer in the spring, then attacked by japanese beetles in June, recover in July and by August I might actually get some flowers....it hardly seems worth keeping them. But, the kids gave the roses to me for Mother's Day a few years ago so getting rid of them isn't as easy as digging them up. Maybe if I put the kids on the front line of warding off the beetles they will understand why I don't want to keep them.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:02 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I wondered why I only saw one last year, they went to your house!

Well, can you take them back, please!! I hate bugs!!

Old 06-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Well, can you take them back, please!! I hate bugs!!
Next time you see them, tell them to go home & if they don't, drown the little suckers.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,782 times
I put Milky Spore in my yard (follow the directions) and it has kept them away. I also did my neighbors yard for good measure.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 AM

457 posts, read 1,177,827 times
Crap I didn't think it was time for these bugggers already. I was hoping to get a handful of veggies in peace before they arrived.

If you're like me & too afraid to touch them, I've had very good success in my organic veggie garden with any natural spray product where the main ingredient is pyrethrins (which is supposed to be natural as it's derived from chrysanthemums). I just have DH spray them & then it's easier to knock them into the bucket of soapy water. Tho when you spray they tend to fly around a little bit for a second.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPie View Post
Crap I didn't think it was time for these bugggers already. I was hoping to get a handful of veggies in peace before they arrived.

If you're like me & too afraid to touch them, I've had very good success in my organic veggie garden with any natural spray product where the main ingredient is pyrethrins (which is supposed to be natural as it's derived from chrysanthemums). I just have DH spray them & then it's easier to knock them into the bucket of soapy water. Tho when you spray they tend to fly around a little bit for a second.
That's why you use a twig & touch them, with the soapy water or water with oilive oil positioned under them. If they are touched, they "play dead" which results in them tumbling into the water. I've done it for years & have had no more than half a dozen fly away, & that was early on.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:18 PM

416 posts, read 928,036 times
They are aka as "June Bugs" down here which makes it easy to remember when its time for them to come around.

I typically spray Seven Dust on my crates and they stay off them. However, my crates are now so big that I just let the june bugs eat. Trees are too big for them to do too much damage.

I've also been fortunate in that my neighbors use the baggies so they attract them to their yard. You should buy some "free" bags for your neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte