Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,007,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Raising property taxes would be easiest.
Well then, can't we just declare Obama the winner of the Dem nomination now and save the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,098,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Well then, can't we just declare Obama the winner of the Dem nomination now and save the money?
You obviously didn't read my post about it bringing $200 million into our local economy. We wouldn't be saving any money. Would you feel the same if we were a candidate for the RNC?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,007,270 times
^ I would feel the same if ot were the RNC. I am not a Republican. I understand that hotels, restaurants, car rentals and taxis will all take in money during an event like this, but that doesn't help me.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,158,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
You obviously didn't read my post about it bringing $200 million into our local economy. We wouldn't be saving any money. Would you feel the same if we were a candidate for the RNC?
Yeah, it's a disingenuous statement put forth by the city boosters. What it really means is spending $45M in tax dollars for a one time event that may put $200M into private hands which may or may not stay in the Charlotte economy.

It's not a good return on the investment if this is the criteria for doing it. It's what they always do. My guess is if they are stating $45M, then it will end up being $90M based on the results of every other big spending plan results by the city.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Sure it does! I don't know what you do for a living, but the people who make money in the hotels, restaurants, etc are going to spend that money and it will eventually stimulate your wallet as well.

I completely understand the concerns that it will be a madhouse uptown, and concerns about where the money will come from, but it would be a huge boost for our local businesses, which I think is something we should all look forward to.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Yeah, it's a disingenuous statement put forth by the city boosters. What it really means is spending $45M in tax dollars for a one time event that may put $200M into private hands which may or may not stay in the Charlotte economy.

It's not a good return on the investment if this is the criteria for doing it. It's what they always do. My guess is if they are stating $45M, then it will end up being $90M based on the results of every other big spending plan results by the city.
Mayor: DNC brought Denver $266M in economic impact - Denver Business Journal

Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,158,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Sure it does! I don't know what you do for a living, but the people who make money in the hotels, restaurants, etc are going to spend that money and it will eventually stimulate your wallet as well. I completely understand the concerns that it will be a madhouse uptown, and concerns about where the money will come from, but it would be a huge boost for our local businesses, which I think is something we should all look forward to.
This is an opinion. There is no analysis to back it up. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but the city said the train would stimulate the economy yet there are businesses closing up and down the line.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This is an opinion. There is no analysis to back it up. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but the city said the train would stimulate the economy yet there are businesses closing up and down the line.
I'm confused by what you're trying to say. It's my opinion that a huge convention will stimulate the economy? That local people making money spend their money?

I suppose I could go all doom and gloom and say that nobody will come to the convention and our taxes will go up, and everyone will be from out of town so they will take their money home with them. Or, better yet, they'll just throw it under a mattress in the home they don't pay for...

Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,606,880 times
Private and public funding.

I also think it is great. Just like the RNC would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Meetup at the HoF during the Democratic Convention? If it ever came to pass, I'm staying far away from Uptown that week and working from home.

Something a bit ominous in that Observer article:
"Foxx said he expects the city would have to raise about $45million to meet DNC requirements. Some of the money, he said, would go toward "a fairly major upfit" of Time Warner Cable Arena."

One wonders how the city would go about raising $45 million.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
As long as the city doesn't end up holding the bag for millions of dollars, when we can't meet the budget currently, and when those millions of dollars will mean more layoffs for teachers, city workers, etc . . . if the city literally doesn't have to come up with money, then that is great.

However, I had heard reports in the past that cities who have hosted these events have ended up with huge deficits to pay off.

I would be interested in seeing what has occurred with budgets in other cities in the past, while also remembering that no city in the last 4 election cycles has been in the financial deficit situation that all cities are dealing with in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte