U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,987,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
UNC Charlotte has offered to lease dorm rooms to nearly 1,500 attendees of the 2012 Democratic National Convention. The move would delay the beginning of the fall semester that year by 25 days and require cancellation of the traditional fall break. The rooms could cost as much as $500 per bed per night.

UNC Charlotte offers dorm rooms for convention (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/09/2210184/uncc-offers-dorm-rooms-for-convention.html - broken link)
$500 per night!!!!! And that's a per bed costs? So if there's a two bed room, its $1,000 a night? WTH???? Unless I'm missing something that sounds like a rediculously high cost. I don't see the DNC or the CRVA going for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:27 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,732,559 times
The UNCC thing isn't going to happen -- already been shot down:

DNC won't use UNCC rooms | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 PM

Nice little random article about Charlotte on today's New York Times website. At the end they talk about the DNC. I imagine they'll be a ton of these types of stories in the National media leading up to the convention. This is that intangible payoff city leaders were looking for. story: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/re...arlotte&st=cse

Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,003,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Nice little random article about Charlotte on today's New York Times website. At the end they talk about the DNC. I imagine they'll be a ton of these types of stories in the National media leading up to the convention. This is that intangible payoff city leaders were looking for. story: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/13/re...arlotte&st=cse
Some interesting quotes from that link:

Quote:
Bank of America’s 50-story headquarters, Charlotte’s tallest building when it was completed in 1993, was to be joined by a similarly sized home for Wachovia
It is actually a nearly 900 ft 60 story building, but I guess being off by 10 stories isn't bad for a writer that probably never stepped foot in Charlotte.
Quote:
But in 1993, Uptown Charlotte consisted of just 10 million square feet of commercial space. In 2011, it covers 22 million, much of that available because banks are giving up third-party space and heading back to buildings they own. That leaves a lot of empty offices — about 2.8 million square feet — much of it Class A space.
According to this, uptown had nearly double the space of present day downtown Raleigh nearly 20 years ago. Also, at 22 million today, that's close to the size of present day downtown Atl (this is without counting Midtown Atl and Buckhead which would bring Atl's numbers much higher). I am not sure of the exact numbers, but I think Charlotte currently has the most occupied commercial downtown in the traditional southeast (Florida and Texas not included). I'm sure one of our Atl friends will help clear this up if I am way off.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 PM

3,757 posts, read 3,277,783 times
(From that article) ^^ I NEVER heard someone call the Duke Energy Center "Tower Of Power"...... I always heard it as "Power Tower"

Quote:
The Duke Energy Center — or the Tower of Power as some call it — has 1.3 million square feet over 48 stories and is now 97 percent occupied. The Duke name has transformed it into a symbol not only of Charlotte’s ability to weather a severe financial downturn, but also of a regional economy that is moving beyond banking and into other industries.
"Tower of Power" in a heavy Southern accent sounds like Standard English "Tower Power" though so maybe they were typing in a Southern accent? lol.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 PM

12,423 posts, read 7,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
(From that article) ^^ I NEVER heard someone call the Duke Energy Center "Tower Of Power"...... I always heard it as "Power Tower"

"Tower of Power" in a heavy Southern accent sounds like Standard English "Tower Power" though so maybe they were typing in a Southern accent? lol.
One of my teachers at CPCC last semester always referred to it as the Tower of Power. I've never heard anyone else call it that though...

Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 PM

467 posts, read 860,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post

Yankee NYTimes writer was probably subconsciously invoking the "Hour of Power" televangelist broadcast from California's Crystal Cathedral on Sundays. And since this is the "cling to guns and religion South" and all...

Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,687,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Yankee NYTimes writer was probably subconsciously invoking the "Hour of Power" televangelist broadcast from California's Crystal Cathedral on Sundays. And since this is the "cling to guns and religion South" and all...
Nah, writer was a fan of that '70s funk band, he was listening to that song "What Is Hip" when writing that article !

Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,301,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Actually the "guns and religion" comment was about folks in PA and the Midwest, although it applies to a good bit of the South as well.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 PM

Some nice new renderings were released today of the new Hyatt Hotel and Condo devlopement. This is a roof top resturant that will be there.

The approximately 8,000 square foot rooftop restaurant includes indoor/outdoor seating with private dining, outdoor lounge and “sky” bar with walls that open up to the roof area, which includes the pool and sun deck in approximately 7,800 square feet of open space walkways, green roof and seating areas.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or