U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,978,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
That's my question as well. In previous convention cities, mass transit played a HUGE role in getting members of the media into and out of the convention area. Also, the light rail can't be moved. So, how much traffic will it cause when people have to "commute" from their bus to their train?
I don't care how Charlotte looks on TV. However, the people that decided to move the transit center away from the Arena Light rail station (the busiest LYNX station) do care; hence the move.

IMO, this move ONLY makes sense if there are plans of using the transit center as a staging area of some sort. Other than that, shutting the place down is more dangerous than leaving it up and running. Also, guess who will pay the 5 or so businesses located at the transit center for a full week of loss income? You and me (the tax payer).

Assuming that this transit relocation idea is a good one...

Do you remember what it was like before Charlotte had the transit center? I certainly do because I used CTS (Charlotte Transit System) back then to get to school LONG before there was CATS. In those days, all north/south bound buses formed a line on Tryon Street between 4th and Trade while all east/west bound buses formed a line down Trade Street between Church and College. Hundreds of people would be waiting for their bus along these streets at all hours of the day (many darting through traffic trying to run down their departing bus). FWIW, this was the scene of a transit system that was 50% smaller than the current CATS system we have today.

Now, consider this. EVERYWHERE in/near uptown will have traffic issues during this convention (especially near hotels, the convention center, and the arena). Add to this the fact that thousands of confused bus riders will now have to figure out the "new" transfer point (and their will be bus drivers that get confused too). I hope I am wrong, but the city's removal of this "eyesore" will come back to bite us all in the a$$.
Gottcha Let me rephrase my comment...Who gives a dam# if the President gets killed in our city. The most important thing is that we don't inconvenience transit riders for a few days. Makes sense to me

BTW, Denver did something similar, "PUBLIC TRANSIT: Monday through Wednesday • Light rail — No service to or from the Pepsi Center and Union Station stops." Link: Road closures and transit changes - The Denver Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM

6,269 posts, read 9,975,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Gottcha Let me rephrase my comment...Who gives a dam# if the President gets killed in our city. The most important thing is that we don't inconvenience transit riders for a few days. Makes sense to me

BTW, Denver did something similar, "PUBLIC TRANSIT: Monday through Wednesday • Light rail — No service to or from the Pepsi Center and Union Station stops." Link: Road closures and transit changes - The Denver Post
Did you even read your own link? Denver's plan was NOTHING like what Charlotte is planning on doing. Here are some quotes from your own link...
Quote:
* LIGHT RAIL: Light rail lines coming into the Central Business District will not be disrupted, including lines D, F and H. There will be no light rail service to or from the Pepsi Center and Denver Union Station stops. Passengers on the C and E lines who want to travel downtown can transfer to the D, F and H lines. All C- and E-line light rail passengers will be required to disembark at the Invesco Field light rail stop.

* BUSES: RTD plans to run normal bus service during the Convention, adjusting routes impacted by street closures. RTD will provide information on these adjustments as they are finalized through its web site, the RTD Telephone Information Center, and information will be posted on buses and light rail.
Maybe I missed it, but I saw nothing about moving the major downtown transfer point of all crosstown buses to another location within downtown (that's Charlotte's plan).

Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Did you even read your own link? Denver's plan was NOTHING like what Charlotte is planning on doing. Here are some quotes from your own link...

Maybe I missed it, but I saw nothing about moving the major downtown transfer point of all crosstown buses to another location within downtown (that's Charlotte's plan).
The question is, did you read the link? The similarity is that they closed down the transit station that serves the Pepsi Center, which is thier arena, which is where their convention was held. I don't know if that's their major station or not, it doesn't matter. The fact is, they're simply doing the same thing in Charlotte, closing down the transit station that serves our arena, where the convention will be held. You should really let this go.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 PM

606 posts, read 1,012,688 times
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

A video from CNN on Charlotte and the convention.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

A video from CNN on Charlotte and the convention.
With the exception of "Charlotte, North Carolina" being placed under Mayor Foxx's face, Charlotte was always mentioned without the word "North Carolina".

Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 AM

606 posts, read 1,012,688 times
Quote:
With the exception of "Charlotte, North Carolina" being placed under Mayor Foxx's face, Charlotte was always mentioned without the word "North Carolina".
Noticed that too. It was certainly out of the norm, the convention will help Charlotte with that as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,780,117 times
Quote:
....Charlotte was always mentioned without the word "North Carolina".
Charlote was mentioned without NC tonight on the news with the NC. It was in reference to John Edward's mistress, Rielle Hunter. Mr Edwards bought her a fine house in Eastover and this was mentioned in the news.

Needless to say however, this 2nd most important politician of the 2004 DNC convention and native of NC, won't be seen at the 2012 convention, ironically in NC.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,401,392 times
Due to lack of new information for a month this sticky is removed
Hopefully this thread will be revived and kept up to date when convention nears. Im welcome to thread title change if you guys want

Sunny
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM

This is a great decision by local hotel owners, and a great way for the community to benefit from the Convention.

Hotels renovating for the DNC to donate furniture - News14.com
"CHARLOTTE -- Hotels renovating ahead of next year's Democratic National Convention are working to give the outgoing furniture to the city's poor. Thousands of pieces of hotel furniture could become available to families who need it through a new partnership between the city's hotels and Crisis Assistance Ministry. The partnership comes after Mecklenburg County saw the number of homeless families jump by nearly 40 percent last year. The Charlotte Area Hotel Association helped create the partnership and hopes it will become a model for how local hotels dispose of furniture in the future."

Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM

DNC Video released (probably the first of many). I think they could have done better. The video was kind of boring. It lacked "energy" IMO. What do y'all think?

I'm There: 2012 Democratic National Convention - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or